Wife's 2007 4 cyl Camry. 5w20 M1, Penn Ultra or

Status
Not open for further replies.
it doesn't matter. I've been incorrectly running 5w30 Mobil 1 because I didn't read the owners manual carefully enough. I'll switch to the recommended 5w20 with the next oil change. For the next 20,000 miles the car will still be under warrantly so I'll use an oci of every 5000. After that, I'll go to probably 7500 mile oci.

I have to admit that even without reading the manual wrong, I probably would have used 5w30 because I bought the thicker is better myth. Because of this forum, I know better now.

Thanks for the info. I've tended to change oil too often in the past. I guess it's from working as the goffer for an indpendent garage in high school. The mechanics would point out dirty engines and tell me "this is what happens to you if you don't change your oil."

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
For 5k OCI's you can use any brand name dino or cheapest group III synthetic such as PP or Synpower.

Seconded. Synthetics are not needed in the Camry, particularly for factory OCIs (I'm doing an experiment with synthetic at the moment, but will switch back to PYB in a week). The four-cylinder Camry is quite easy on oil.

The four cylinder 2007 Camry has the 2AZFE engine, which is the same engine in the 2006 Camry (which is the model I have). The 2006 is specced for 5W-30 oil, as are several of the previous years. Using 5W-30 is unlikely to cause any harm.

Originally Posted By: heypete
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
For 5k OCI's you can use any brand name dino or cheapest group III synthetic such as PP or Synpower.

Seconded. Synthetics are not needed in the Camry, particularly for factory OCIs (I'm doing an experiment with synthetic at the moment, but will switch back to PYB in a week). The four-cylinder Camry is quite easy on oil.

The four cylinder 2007 Camry has the 2AZFE engine, which is the same engine in the 2006 Camry (which is the model I have). The 2006 is specced for 5W-30 oil, as are several of the previous years. Using 5W-30 is unlikely to cause any harm.

especially when so many synthetic 5w30 oils are thinner than a true 30w.read other bitog threads for specs. The only reason toyota changed from 5w30 to 5w20 is for gasoline consumption . 5w20 will get slightly better mileage and with the close tolerances of modern engines , it does a fine job of protecting them. A 10th of a mpg for any car manufacturer line could spell the difference of many dollars in fines from the epa.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
it doesn't matter. I've been incorrectly running 5w30 Mobil 1 because I didn't read the owners manual carefully enough. I'll switch to the recommended 5w20 with the next oil change. For the next 20,000 miles the car will still be under warrantly so I'll use an oci of every 5000. After that, I'll go to probably 7500 mile oci.

I have to admit that even without reading the manual wrong, I probably would have used 5w30 because I bought the thicker is better myth. Because of this forum, I know better now.

What kind of driving do you do?

Thanks for the input, especially on the 5w30 not likely to do any harm. I've been slightly worried about that. Certainly not enough to change prematurely, but a little worried.

The driving is pretty much a mix of interstate and suburban. The car doesn't get much real stop and go city driving.

So, would you stick with the 5w30 if you were me or would you switch to 5w20?

teddyboy,

OK your just slightly off. I don't consider using 5W-30 Mobil 1 that much off! Since it's under warranty just switch to 5W-20 the next time you do your OCI.

I'm surprised cuz my old manuel for my 89' Camry gave me a range of oil weights to use based on the climate in your region. At that time 10W-3o is considered fine for So. Ca area.

I guess Toyota spec have changed allot since those times.

Durango

Originally Posted By: chad8

especially when so many synthetic 5w30 oils are thinner than a true 30w.read other bitog threads for specs. The only reason toyota changed from 5w30 to 5w20 is for gasoline consumption . 5w20 will get slightly better mileage and with the close tolerances of modern engines , it does a fine job of protecting them. A 10th of a mpg for any car manufacturer line could spell the difference of many dollars in fines from the epa.

The only problem I have with that is "true 30weight"

a 30wt oil is a viscosity range.
thick or thin as long as its in that range its a "true" 30weight.

I agree there is a big difference between something castrol edge at 9.x and valvoline maxlife at 11.x but they are both "true 30 weight"

part of the problem of using a viscosity measurement system that was designed a hundred years ago featuring an hole and timer

There is really a bigger difference between certain 5w30's than there is between certain 5w20s and 5w30s.

Last edited:
Durango, We've owned toyotas since the 80s and everyone had a chart like you're suggesting until this one. They also all had dedicated owner's manuals for the specific car and engine that I owned. This manual had a single line for the 4 cyl with 5w20 and 0w20 and another chart for the 6 with 5w30. I didn't read closely and just assumed that they had changed the presentation but that both charts applied to our car and engine.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I say just stick to 5w30. I have the same engine in my Scion and I run 5w30 or 0w30 in it all the time.

If it's the 2AZFE, Toyota changed it to 5w20 on the 06 and later.
If you have one of those, I'd run 5w20.
That is the case even on 06's with 5w30 on the oil caps and manuals...

I've read a lot of good things about the Toyota 0w20 and would use it except that the dealer allows me to bring my own oil. Not only is it cheaper, but I can stand and watch them pour the oil from my jug into the car. I know I'm getting the synthetic. With the Toyota oil, I have to count on the guy using the right oil as I can't see what's on the gun that he pulls. It's not so much that I question their honesty, it's just that if he does the same thing all day with the bulk dino, it's easy to forget and do that with my car by mistake. I risk having paid for synthetic and getting dino.

I share your concern regarding bulk oil.

At the present time the Toyota brand 0W-20 is only available in bottles (quarts and litres) although according to Toyota it will soon be available in bulk to their dealers at a lower price.

Either way there's nothing stopping you from buying it yourself in bottles and watching them pour it in.

My concern isn't over bulk oil, I know it's the same stuff. It's a concern over the guy who reaches for a gun of dino all day long and suddenly has to do something different for my car. As I said earlier in the thread, taking my own oil I can stand and watch (albeit through glass) the person pouring oil from my bottle into my car. Now that I know that the 0w20 won't come from bulk delivered by a gun, that concern is less.

ooooh, I got ya.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back