Best oil for 71 chevy 350 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't seem to burn any oil, no serious oil leaks. It's completely original inside with about 80k miles on it. It's a passenger car engine, still runs great.

Any oil off the shelf should be fine with the very, very, mild stock GM cam and light stock spring pressures. Pick one and have at it.

You must be doing the right thing as far as oil, just keep doing it. If you want something a bit more robust, try rotella T5 (10w-30). If it seem a bit thick you can thin it with some Formula Shell 5w-30.

havoline or chevron 10w40 has a higher zinc and phos level around 1000 ppm if i rember correctly (good for your flat tappets) plus the higher viscosity will be good for the warm virginia summers. Another option mobil 1 high mileage 10w30 or 10w40.

Any good HDEO in your state would be fine. 15w40 or 10w30 Delvac, Rotella, Mystik JT8, Delo, ect would be fine. They have great antiwear packages and keep the engine clean. If you shop around you can get them as cheap or cheaper than regular PCMO varieties. I get Mystik for under 2.50 a quart.

Bamaro - My new variable DOHC engine is a flat tappet type, also.
You have rollers or flat tappets. [Unless you have a Desmodromic system.]

Gonz - Are you going to drive this car? 500 a year? 10,000?
For hard use I'd use a diesel oil in 15-40. Those engines were not lovers of thinner oils - not yet.
You could use a 5-30 for light driving here and there, with no great heat to deal with.
Oils were not that great then. They got better in 20 years. And now, oils are castrated, but have substitute methods of anti wear.
BTW, your cam and lifters will still wear somewhat. They wore then, and they'll wear now.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
BTW, your cam and lifters will still wear somewhat. They wore then, and they'll wear now.
How true - the higher zddp "back in the day" couldnt keep a cam alive much past 100k unless the induction hardening was very consistently applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back