BMW OEM vs Mann vs Mahle vs Hengst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any big differences between these choices. The Mann visually looks like the BMW OEM filter, is that who makes it for them? I can get the Mann filters for 1/2 the price.

Judging by looks alone, I prefer Mahle/Knecht over Mann, but performance-wise, there's probably little difference. You can't go wrong with either one.

P1010764.jpg

mahle_oil_filter.jpg

Mann is OEM to BMW, probably does the largest business, but Mahle, Bosch, and Hengst all show up as OEM to BMW on some units. Hengst is relatively new to the mix. Knecht is a subsidiary of Mahle.

Btw, that's Bosch in Europe, not the American Bosch version which is an altogether different filter.

Mahle:

http://www.pleuco.de/

Hengst.

http://www.hengst.de/conpresso/_rubric/index.php?rubric=Home_DE

Bosch:

http://www.bosch.de/start/content/language2/html/index.htm

Mann-Hummel:

http://www.mann-hummel.com/

BMW oil filters come from Mann but without a box.
Oil%20Filter%20Kit.jpg

I have a personal preference for Hengst oil filters, the just seem to be a better made filter.
Oil%20Filter%20Kit.jpg

Thread revival:
I noticed that the equivalent Mahle filter end has RAISED LIPS around the middle, and the Mann does not - it's flat on both ends... Due to this the actual FILTER area seems to be shorter on the Mahle. (space taken up by the raised lip around the middle)...

...Does this affect anything? I've been using Mahle for the last 4 OCs but do wonder sometimes if Mahle is better made...
Like QP said, it just LOOKS sturdier or something...

So I counted pleats on Mann and Mahle filters for the E46 I got from Amazon:
Mann 65 vs Mahle 74

I also noticed that the lettering on the Mahle on the filter cap is NOT YELLOW, but just embossed on the cap...(same info)-should this be a concern? still says Made in Austria. Box looks authentic.
The Mann filter is made in Mexico...

Last edited:
I love these brands, Mann, Mahle, and Hengst.

Strange enough, for my Saab, the original Saab, Mann, Mahle, and Hengst are all identical. 100 percent and all from Germany.

On Mercedes, I've noticed Hengst being different as on the BMW example above.

Long time Mann was OEM on Mercedes, but their newest V6 (the 60 degree direct injected one) switched to a Mahle or Hengst for OEM, forget which one. The entire oil filtering unit switched from a Mann sourced part.

You can save a lot of money on European cars by getting OEM filters (cabin, air and oil) at such great prices. It's one of the maintenance perks of European cars in my opinion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stchman
I was under the impression that BMW used Mann filters as OEM. If no, I wonder who makes the OEM filters for BMW.

BMW uses both MANN and HENGST. The filters for my M5 are HENGST from BMW.

The big 4 German cartridge oil filters Bosch, Mahle, Hengst and Mann are all good for European engines. I buy either 1 of these 4 brands based on price.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
So I counted pleats on Mann and Mahle filters for the E46 I got from Amazon:
Mann 65 vs Mahle 74

So, have you figured out if there is any difference in dimensions between these two?
smile.gif

I don't have both on hand currently, so I can't take the measurements. But if you can measure the height, inner and outer diameter, then you can calculate the total filtering area, approximately.

I guess one could also check mfg websites for dimensions, but they seem to vary from one site to another. Plus, the Mahle one has those protruding sleeves on top and bottom, and I don't know if the height figure given on mfg website is inclusive of it or not.

Edit: but if you just go by mfg figures, you get surface area of 859 sq. inches for Mann and 980 sq inches for Mahle, if my math is right.

QP:
Thanks for the numbers...Mahle does seem better...
What did u think about the lettering on the Mahle cap not being yellow like the one pic you posted?

MANN is a very good oil filter and trust by many dealers in Europe and even here in the USA. I used a MANN oil filter and cut it open and it was very well made. It didnt have a silicone ADBV.

However they seem to be perfect for German cars..... VW and BMW and SABB and Mercedes and Jag.

I know the box isnt that pretty to look at but , the box isnt what counts..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nleksan
I have switched to AFE and have been pleased with the results. Prior to that, I used both Mahle and Mann.

Never heard of AFE till now. Where are they made?
what benefits do you see from AFE compared to Mann/Mahle?
Why did you change to AFE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back