thinking about changing my fleet over to Schaeffer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a fleet of 486 vehiles/equipment that I manage. The sales rep is been after me to change away from what i am using now ( Hydrotex 5w40 LEO synthetic) to his 5w40 Synthetic. noticed right of the bat the his oil has a lot of Moly in it and i know this would be a much slippery oil over the Hyrdrotex..

Looking for feed back from those that use it in a fleet setting as well as any other discussion..

Thanks
Rick

Tell him that you will do a small test run of his oil with a lab doing analysis afterward of each oil in the same vehicles. He gets to pick which. . Maybe 5-10 vehicles. 1 or 2 changes each. He has to pay for the test and the oil. It would stall him and provide you with real meaningful data for free.
Sounds fair to me if he expects you to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars a year on his products. Besides which , I'd bet that the chevron oil is cheaper per gallon.

Annual costs due to oil related problems - (additional cost of Schaeffers * probability changing oils will help) = should be over 0.

So if you lose 1% a year, 4.8 vehicles at 10,000 apiece due to oil or wear issues, and schaeffers is 24,000 more expensive it had better fix half the issues.

Are there even issues? Cause spending money to fix a problem that doesn't exist doesn't make sense.

Do they claim a longer OCI?

If you are looking for extended oil change interval, then it is a top rated oil. Along with extended oil drains, you'll most likely want to do used oil analysis and perhaps better oil filter. All this adds up to cost.

As for extra moly, it may or may not add significant benefit. And it depends on the injector system. The only "proof" I've seen to moly is extended oil drain.

I don't have a fleet, and I don't find the high priced oils worth it. Rather change my oil/filter often, and get fresh clean oil and additives. But if I had a large fleet or frequent oil changes (i.e. buses and taxis), I'd consider methods to extend the oil change (synthetic oil, centrifugal type bypass oil filters, etc).

It all comes down to time and money.

I too would ask him to put proof with the pudding. 5 vehicles, 2 OCI and analysis at his cost. Your business is big enough he should jump on it.

If your not having current problems why make a change. Most oils and syn blend product will do just as well for less. I would look at the MC blend for a fleet. Longer intervals, great product and less expensive

I agree, you should ask for a set of tests over a couple OCIs on his dime. Total cost to him would be a small fraction of one order. If he refuses, show him the door.

"Schaeffers is a well proven oil."

That may be true. But if you're managing a fleet of Accords/F150's/GMC vans that get MACRS depriciated after 4 years and sold for wholesale it doesn't make sense to use a better oil than what will get the job done because there is no business reason. Even if you feel better for taking such good care of them, it's unprofessional and not your money to do it with.

On the other hand, if you have the shuttle transporter, or a 20 year old bus fleet, or a Ferarri rental fleet, there may be huge advantages to a better oil.

There needs to be an advantage gained for the additional cost. In many cases there wouldn't be, in some cases there could be huge advantages.

The onus should be on the Shaeffers (or whatever salesperson) to prove what the gain is to the company you represent.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
I too would ask him to put proof with the pudding. 5 vehicles, 2 OCI and analysis at his cost. Your business is big enough he should jump on it.

If your not having current problems why make a change.

Sounds like a good idea. In my business if someone is pushing product I ask for free samples and put the products through the paces. If I have to test something on my dime, I pass. That's how business is done. OTOH if a product is for personal use and the size of the sale is small don't be disappointed if they tell you, sorry I can't provide free product and testing. BTW use a lab of your choice for the testing.

Originally Posted By: rickg
I have a fleet of 486 vehiles/equipment that I manage. The sales rep is been after me to change away from what i am using now ( Hydrotex 5w40 LEO synthetic) to his 5w40 Synthetic. noticed right of the bat the his oil has a lot of Moly in it and i know this would be a much slippery oil over the Hyrdrotex..

Looking for feed back from those that use it in a fleet setting as well as any other discussion..

Thanks
Rick

Your post echo's some of the comments in this Schaeffer video.

http://schaefferoilvideos.com/index.php?...amp;video_id=51

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles

Your post echo's some of the comments in this Schaeffer Oil video.

http://schaefferoilvideos.com/index.php?...amp;video_id=51
[/quote

snakyjake said:
As for extra moly, it may or may not add significant benefit. And it depends on the injector system. The only "proof" I've seen to moly is extended oil drain.
It all comes down to time and money.

Excellent testimonial video with Wally.

Everyone has been assuming that hydrotex oil is less expensive than Schaeffers Specialized Lubricants 9000 5-40.

There is a lot of proof out there that moly increases fuel economy, and combined with our penetro certainly gains fuel economy.

How much will you save your company with a modest 3% fuel economy gain?????

I too noticed that many automatically assumed Schaeffer was more expensive to buy. When I started buying it in bulk it was less expensive than Rotella synthetic at China Mart to buy plus my OCI were stretched on out. I saved money buying it and I don't use nearly the amount this fella would.

If rickg will run the Schaeffer's oil to its full life, or near that, he'll save money on oil, filters, labor, and repairs (if he keeps the vehicles that long). There may be some fuel savings. If he holds to his ordinary oil change routine, he won't see the savings.

There is no way the sales rep can afford to supply oil for a significant test period. He might throw in some free tests, but that is it. With any top quality product there is no need for major freebees.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
"Schaeffers is a well proven oil."

That may be true. But if you're managing a fleet of Accords/F150's/GMC vans that get MACRS depriciated after 4 years and sold for wholesale it doesn't make sense to use a better oil than what will get the job done because there is no business reason. Even if you feel better for taking such good care of them, it's unprofessional and not your money to do it with.

On the other hand, if you have the shuttle transporter, or a 20 year old bus fleet, or a Ferarri rental fleet, there may be huge advantages to a better oil.

There needs to be an advantage gained for the additional cost. In many cases there wouldn't be, in some cases there could be huge advantages.

The onus should be on the Shaeffers (or whatever salesperson) to prove what the gain is to the company you represent.

This. Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back