What would be the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I've pretty much narrowed it to a sam's club tire:

Either the Michelin X radial (about 72 bucks)

Or the BFG Touring TAs (61 bucks)

Would there actually be much of a difference between the two? (and I'm not worried about noise-it's a Cavalier anyways)

I like the Xs(bascically Harmonys), but I think the TAs might be a little more "fun". For the most part, they offer the same thing.

For a simple compact coupe, your opinion?

About $44
crackmeup2.gif

Both are scrap tires made for Sams Club. Go with main stream tires that are not made for walmart.

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
And they are both made at the same factory in south carolina....

Doesn't necessarily mean anything. Companies can pay other companies to manufacture products for them. They may be similar, but the manufacturer will make the product to the specs they are provided. Example. You can have a Porsche, and a Yugo built in the same factory. Which do you think would be better?

computer power supplies are another great example. Most are made by only 3, or 4 OEMS. But a huge difference in quality between them, even within products made by that company.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: beast3300
Both are scrap tires made for Sams Club. Go with main stream tires that are not made for walmart.

Totally wrong. The X's have a very solid reputation.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Originally Posted By: rszappa1
And they are both made at the same factory in south carolina....

Doesn't necessarily mean anything. Companies can pay other companies to manufacture products for them. They may be similar, but the manufacturer will make the product to the specs they are provided. Example. You can have a Porsche, and a Yugo built in the same factory. Which do you think would be better?

computer power supplies are another great example. Most are made by only 3, or 4 OEMS. But a huge difference in quality between them, even within products made by that company.

Wrong! At least with Michelin, anyways.

Compare the X with it's sister tires- You'll find that the Harmony, Destiny, and X are Exactly the same. Sear's Weatherwise II is slightly different looking, but pretty much the same tire.

I doubt Touring T/A will be "fun." It's a name extention, like the Cutlass Ciera to the original Cutlass. But if they come in raised white letters I'd be all over them.
lol.gif

I got some BFG "Club Advantage" tires at sams that were pretty nice-- for the price of course.

Touring T/As are not a "Sams-only" model either. They came OEM on many GMs (Grand Ams, Aleros, etc.). I had them, and didn't have any major complaints about them. No offense, but in that size & vehicle, you might not know the difference. Pick the cheapest. Either would be fine.

The ones Sam's sells is for Sam's only. It's the Touring T/A Pro. It's different from others.

And the X Radial is different from its sister tires, but in tread pattern only. The rubber compound is the same, as is the carcass. This, from a Michelin customer rep on the phone. Each of the Harmony/Destiny/X Radial/WeatherWise II has a slightly different tread pattern, but when you look at the dimensions of the pattern (like the width of the blocks, the width of the grooves, etc), you can see that it's from the same general template.

Based on how the tire feels subjectively, the X Radial would be the softer and more comfortable tire, and the BFGoodrich the firmer and better handling one. The BFG's rubber is pretty stiff, and the sidewall feels pretty stiff as well.

I think it's funny when someone shouts off tha any tire sold at Sam's is a "second" or something. Both of these tire models are sold exclusively at Sam's, so if they're selling the "seconds", then where are the "firsts"??

X Radial are kick arse on my Civic HX. The car is quieter, handles better, great in the rain and snow.

This reminds me. I going to get my rotation at BJ's soon. : )

I've had two sets (one on a 1997 Cadillac SLS and one on our current 2007 Chrysler T&C) and they've been the best all-season tires I've ever had. On the '97 Cadillac, they replaced Michelin Pilot XGT H4 tires, and I think they had about 80% of the grip/handling that the Pilots had, but about 150-200% of the comfort. As for quiet, they were probably about the same (the XGTs were already pretty quiet, but rather firm).

They (X Radials) will be going on my '07 Corolla also. Probably way before the Yoko TRZs wear out. I'm quickly getting anxious for having the Michelins on it.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Touring T/As are not a "Sams-only" model either. They came OEM on many GMs (Grand Ams, Aleros, etc.). I had them, and didn't have any major complaints about them. No offense, but in that size & vehicle, you might not know the difference. Pick the cheapest. Either would be fine.

Probably true....

Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock
The ones Sam's sells is for Sam's only. It's the Touring T/A Pro. It's different from others.

And the X Radial is different from its sister tires, but in tread pattern only. The rubber compound is the same, as is the carcass. This, from a Michelin customer rep on the phone. Each of the Harmony/Destiny/X Radial/WeatherWise II has a slightly different tread pattern, but when you look at the dimensions of the pattern (like the width of the blocks, the width of the grooves, etc), you can see that it's from the same general template.

Based on how the tire feels subjectively, the X Radial would be the softer and more comfortable tire, and the BFGoodrich the firmer and better handling one. The BFG's rubber is pretty stiff, and the sidewall feels pretty stiff as well.

I think it's funny when someone shouts off tha any tire sold at Sam's is a "second" or something. Both of these tire models are sold exclusively at Sam's, so if they're selling the "seconds", then where are the "firsts"??

Okay, so I'm slightly wrong...
13.gif

Here are the four Michelin Harmony "sisters".

tireprofiles.jpg

You can see that there are slight differences in the patterns, but that they also follow the same basic template. This is when they first came out, back when the WeatherWise II was called the Agility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back