ATI 5-series cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, I'm selling off my 4890's (one is already gone) as I bought an ASUS 5870.

I know there is at least one other board member with a 5-series card.

My initial observations:

Windows performance score went up.

Makes WAY less heat.

Has given me better framerates in some games.

Hi.

It is pretty good on heat. The fan is at 25%, cant hear it at all and its running 40C. For reference, its about 38C inside the case. Of course it is idling, which brings up the only problem. It idles at such a low clock and voltage I think thats the problem. My secondary monitor has occasional flashes and tearing. Sapphire has offered to RMA the card, but I'd hate to lose it for 2 or 3 weeks when I dont know if that will fix it. If I turn on something like a game or watch a video and use the video decoding capabilities, it stops. I wish I could perpetually bump it to the mid-level 600/900 clock.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm waiting to get a 5x series card for when they get rid of the always unappealing reference designs. I just bought a Gigabyte 4890 with the Zalman cooler on it because A, it was much cheaper than a 5850 (bought used, and no 5870 for me due to price) and B it has the good cooler on it, so despite this being a hot running card, this cooler takes off tons of degrees compared to the stock reference tunnel style coolers.

Only way you're gonna see way better perf. over the 4890 is if you have a nice hefty CPU :D

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I'm waiting to get a 5x series card for when they get rid of the always unappealing reference designs. I just bought a Gigabyte 4890 with the Zalman cooler on it because A, it was much cheaper than a 5850 (bought used, and no 5870 for me due to price) and B it has the good cooler on it, so despite this being a hot running card, this cooler takes off tons of degrees compared to the stock reference tunnel style coolers.

Only way you're gonna see way better perf. over the 4890 is if you have a nice hefty CPU :D

Overclocked i5 750
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Overclocked i5 750
wink.gif

I just sent my Dad a list of components for a $1000 computer, that was the CPU I selected to go on a ASUS P7P55D.
On topic: I selected a HD5770 in the graphics department.

I'm running a P7P55D-E

Good choice
wink.gif

Just about bought that.. The only reason I didn't.. I think the goofy-[censored] heatsink on the southbridge looks dumb in my windowed coolermaster case.

I went with the Giga P55A-UD4P (basically same specs but from Gigabyte!)

Also, I've got an i7 860 :)

I'm running a P7P55D-E

Good choice
wink.gif

Just about bought that.. The only reason I didn't.. I think the goofy-[censored] heatsink on the southbridge looks dumb in my windowed coolermaster case.

I actually like the southbridge cooler! Though the video card makes it all but invisible.

I have a Lian Li PC75.

I'm running a P7P55D-E

Good choice
wink.gif

I actually like the southbridge cooler! Though the video card makes it all but invisible.

I have a Lian Li PC75.

I am hoping to get a Silverstone FT01-BW

I currently have an old school, but still very pretty Coolermaster Wavemaster black, with the CM windowed panel. I love the look of the case, and its a good size, but its very plain inside, and airflow is not that great. It does the job, but this is one of those things... Form over function. At least with the Silverstone, you actually get both. (I've had this case many years now though, still looks great)

This is my first windowed case, and then only the top 1/3 or so is actually window. The other 2/3 or the side is for the gigantic fan. I actually never cared for windowed PCs, but the board has LEDs to show load and level of OC, so I guess it does look cool.

I might be getting rid of my 4870x2 and trade to a 5XXX card simply to reduce the heat/noise. Love my current card's performance though when I need the occasional Crysis fix. :)

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
OverK1ll where did you buy your ASUS 5870?

Through one of my wholesalers.

Makes WAY less heat.

This is the only part that really interests me. Other than at the very high end, the 5xxx series cards are not a huge leap over the 4xxx series cards. I have a 4850 and I'm hanging onto it for now. It does fine in Crysis, so I'm happy with it.

If you were lucky like me and waited til after the (as said above) always [censored] reference cooler designs are phased out, and got a dual slot Sapphire 4850 like me, you have no noise, and no excessive heat to worry about at all. Many review sites say its basically the best 4850 card on the market. It is the only 4850 I know of to not use the reference PCB either. It's actually smaller.
I ordered another actually so I could see how they do in Xfire. (they're cheap)

The 4850 in crossfire is currently Tom's Hardware recommended $200 setup.

Unfortunately I have the older Sapphire 4850, wish I had the dual slot model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back