M1 5w40, HDEOs and guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
After much research, i decided to relube one of my guns with engine oil. Not just any oil, but fresh Mobil 1 turbo diesel truck 5w40. IMHO, perhaps the best broad application oil around. The gun is a .22lr GSG 5 PK 9" barrel. This gun works pretty good and has about 600 rounds under its belt. Just putting this oil on and wiping it back off does really well in cleaning the gun. I made sure to get the oil everywhere and then wiping excess back off. I'm thinking the extra additives of an HDEO along with the smooth 5w cold performance will provide me some nice results. This gun sometimes will not have enough energy to fully cycle with low velocity rounds. It runs great with high velocity and Rem oil. For science, i will be test firing the gun soon with subsonic ammo as well as high velocity rounds with the 5w40 lube. Any thoughts on how good/bad this should work? I've only ever seen people say things like 15w50, or 0w20, or plain 10w30. Why not an HDEO?

Should work ok. It's hard to kill a gun...especially a .22.

Only thing is that I don't like VII in a gun oil due to the boundary conditions. Just a minor detail.

When using a moly containing oil, doesn't the presence of VII's actually enhance the anti-friction/antioxidant capabilities of the moly..?

Originally Posted By: DmanWho
When using a moly containing oil, doesn't the presence of VII's actually enhance the anti-friction/antioxidant capabilities of the moly..?

Never heard that one.

I'm still looking for the actual research literature by polymer chemist, Dr. Stipanovic.
That was the claim though...

Tested: The gun run very well with 5w40. I did not have one double fire or any failure to fire or eject. It does attract dust so i do not recommend it for anyone who doesn't clean their guns every time they shoot. Cleaning is a little easier since the oil suspends most of the particulates.

Of course it ran well. It is a gun and it will run well with nearly anything for lube. It would probably run just as well with wd-40 or mineral oil.

People get too wrapped up in lube requirements for firearms.

Where certain lubes excell is corrosion protection.

my xd like 3 drops of oil per side on the slides and one on the barrel hood and locking blocks. then one drop on the guide rod. bam. thousands of rounds can be shot with out problems.

I use M1 15w50 in a medical (yes it was brand new at the time of getting it) syringe to apply very small amounts of oil to most of my handguns. I have no issues with it whatsoever. I've noticed my guns seem easier to clean after using it for lube...

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
Of course it ran well. It is a gun and it will run well with nearly anything for lube. It would probably run just as well with wd-40 or mineral oil.

People get too wrapped up in lube requirements for firearms.

Where certain lubes excell is corrosion protection.

I agree, I lube my black powder 1858 Remington replica with Crisco. Not much different than the animal fat they used back in 1858. And there are still lots of 150 year old examples still around!

My Rugers...I rarely even get around to lubing them, I just use whatever oil I currently have open...

I use Ballistol. It cuts though crud (even BP and corrosive), smells good, and lubes well. Its good stuff. I know a guy who uses Syntec 5w50 and STP to lube his guns.

I bet it will work ok, I mean many good guns last forever, even with plain old 3 in 1

Ballistol is good stuff. But it smells like wet socks to me. I mix it 1:1 with LC-20. It cleans better and has better anti-oxidizer properties. Also smells like Magic Markers instead of wet socks. This mix has worked well for me.

I oil my guns about every time I clean them with Hopes gun oil, CLP, Liquid Wrench all purpose oil or the infamous MMO.

Only problem with motor oil is it stinks. Personally I use a light grease for lube and oil for rust prevention. The oil I use varies....CLP, FP10, Krown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back