How many of you buy the hazard warranty-worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be buying 4 new tires for my honda civic. I've never bought the hazard warranty that many tire stores offer, and I've never bought 4 tires at once.

So is the warranty really worth the cost? I put about 15,000 miles on the civic a year, mainly driving on mtn roads (from 500' to 4200' everyday for work).

Is there a lot of construction near you? If yes, get it. I bought a new set of tires in August and I've had a nail in one and a bolt in another already. They shop had a jar of stuff they pulled out of other customer tires, I saw a fork in there.

Also, take the cost of the hazard stuff and add it up, now compare that to the price of one tire. If it's close, take the dollar amount, drop it in a savings account, and don't buy it.

I can only tell you that I've replaced 2 tires on my car and I do have the road hazard warranty. Both were in the past year and a half that I have had these tires. I drive about 30k miles per year.

They are the Michelin Harmony. Being 80k mile tires, I thought it might be worth it. So far, the road hazard has paid for itself about 5X over.

Last edited:
How much is the hazard warrantee? What are the rules? does it last as long as you have the tires on the car? If they are all the same tires and you buy only 1 warrantee for one tire can they tell what tire it is on? If the warrantee is strait forward with no loopholes and its under $10.00 i would say get it...
Does it cover someone slashing your tires and if so will they be covered for that when they are a few years old??

I got the sams club warranty once, it was included with mounting & balancing so I can't say how much of that cost was actually the insurance. It paid off too when I picked up a screw in a rear tire and didn't notice until I was fishtailing on an on-ramp. By then the rim damaged the inside and I got a new tire.

I haven't had a flat tire in 12 years. Now my wife is the Queen of flat tires. We did not get the road hazard on the set before last. She had three patches/plugs in two tires and two patches/ plugs in the others. This last set we got the road hazard. She has had one tire replaced and two others patched, so it pays off for her. She works for a powder metal manufacturer. Lots of scrap meter hauled in there.

On my leased suv i had to replace my tires at 25,000 miles they just did not last... I am giving it back next month and i had to spend money on tires..
The original tires were Good Year which i would never get again...
I guess they got the name good year because its a good year for them when their tires wear out and stupid people buy them again.
My michelin's on my brothers truck have over 60,000 miles on them

IMO it depends on where you live. I once work near a construction zone and I have on average 3 flat a year, and that warranty pays for it self over and over again. Then when the project is done, no more flat for 5 years.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
On my leased suv i had to replace my tires at 25,000 miles they just did not last... I am giving it back next month and i had to spend money on tires..
The original tires were Good Year which i would never get again...
I guess they got the name good year because its a good year for them when their tires wear out and stupid people buy them again.
My michelin's on my brothers truck have over 60,000 miles on them

+1 on the Michelins.

Personally, I do buy the hazard warranty, I think it's money well spent.

Statistically you will come out ahead by skipping the warranty in the long run. I have only used "road hazard" one time in 25 years. of course, the one time was this past year when the SO hit a HUGE hole and took out a brand new (2k ,iles) tire on my car. it was a $100 tires, so I am glad that I purchased the road haz. be careful, many warranties are watered down and very limited. some are 3 year limit. I think a recent sears warranty was actually a flat repair warranty and did not cover road haz. (I might be wrong....)

I never purchace the RHW on tires. You have to get the RHW on all 4 tires for example in order to cover the tire that may give you a RHW related problem. Most tires I buy(if local) come with free lifetime flat repair and balancing/rotation. That's good enough for me. If I buy tires on line, I can still pruchace some of the extras at the installers service center for a small fee and even RHW from the online tire store.
I don't purchace any extended warrantys on appliances, electronics, vehicles, furnature or tires. Any issue that I have had with any of these product was after any warranty(regular, extended or otherwise) would have already expired. I agree though, if you live in a new housing developement or drive where there is always construction or if your just prone to tire issues, then by all means, get the warranty. Over the last 35 or so years of not purchacing any extra warrantys on products, if I have to eat a repair at my cost, so be it! Look at all the money I've saved over the years. My FIL get warrantys on everything! Always has. Never uses it! The warranty ususlly expiers first prior to the repair at his cost. Paid for it twice IMHO.

I've never bothered with it -- In the past 20 years, I've had one flat tire *knock on wood*.

For curiosity sake... Is the cost of hazard insurance relative to the cost of the tire? Is the insurance the same cost for a $50 15" economy tire as some 18" tire that you'd see on a big SUV or truck?

Personally, RH insurance is another way for the companies to make more money. When all said and done, the companies lose nothing and gain a lot....of mola.

Don't bother. Driven 20 yrs and not a single tire flat yet that was not repairable.

Originally Posted By: shrooms
Personally, RH insurance is another way for the companies to make more money. When all said and done, the companies lose nothing and gain a lot....of mola.

That's how I feel, I always pass on those warranties. IMO its another cash cow for the companies selling the warranty.

I used to get the mounting and balancing at Wal-Mart. For another $1.25 (per tire) you got the road hazard warranty. Now, the charge you $9 or $10 for the road hazard on top of the mounting and balancing. I figure at that price, I can replace one tire for the cost of road hazard. I'll take my chances.

If you buy from Discount Tire a prorated road hazard is included with the total purchase including lifetime balance rotation. Normally this is all I get.

DT also sells cerificates for full replacement. What that is, if you get a hole in a non repairable area or defective tire, you get a full refund of purchase price and the option to buy a new tire at that price. It's decent because DT has brick and mortar store where you can go to get warranty service.

That said, normally I wouldn't recommend the certificates or road hazard (unless included w/tires). But, my son has gotten nails in 2 tires in non repairable areas. DT worked with him both times to get him a new tire at a reasonable price. The last was the price on the certs. for a new tire.

Long story short, the extra charge for rh, usually not worth it.

I don't buy the road hazard warranty. A neighbor of mine who travels on dirt roads, says its worth it for where he drives, so a lot depends on the conditions you face. Costco includes a five year road hazard warranty with their tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back