How should I lube polyurethane bushings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just installed Energy bushings on my control arms and they are starting to squeak.

Which kind of lube/grease should I use and how do I apply it?

Thanks.

did you already lube them? theoretically you can use regular chassis lube (I've done this before and had at least two years of quite bushings before I sold the car, that was using Lucas Red and Tacky) however, there is a lube that is recommended for the bushings, and you can buy tubes of it from Energy.

Graphite grease or the permatex brake ceramic or synthetic grease is perfect for it. Some standard greases can damage the polyurethane. Silglyde, is also good for it.

How am I supposed to apply it? With a grease gun?

I've never had to do a chassis lube before.

Originally Posted By: drewjp
How am I supposed to apply it? With a grease gun?

I've never had to do a chassis lube before.
Is there a grease zerk on them? Most likely there isn't. To lube them you need to take them apart. Before you put them back together put a grease zerk on there.

Poly makes a very poor bushing material for anything that moves.

Originally Posted By: vxcalais
Graphite grease or the permatex brake ceramic or synthetic grease is perfect for it. Some standard greases can damage the polyurethane. Silglyde, is also good for it.

says who? I want proof!
Rubber is sensitive to certain petroleum products, polyurethane is really tough.
My ES suspension bushings say on the package to use your favorite grease.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
I would use the Energy Suspension lube they sell for the bushings.

Yup. I have this in a tube/cartridge to be istalled in a grease gun from them.
It is some of the most viscous, tacky, indissolvable stuff I've ever seen, but then I've not seen/used the new Amsoil Off Road greases yet.
Some of the other suggestions would work as well, but not last as long as this super glue-like stuff!

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
I would use the Energy Suspension lube they sell for the bushings.

Yup. I have this in a tube/cartridge to be istalled in a grease gun from them.
It is some of the most viscous, tacky, indissolvable stuff I've ever seen, but then I've not seen/used the new Amsoil Off Road greases yet.
Some of the other suggestions would work as well, but not last as long as this super glue-like stuff!

Could you post a link for the grease cartridge? all I can find are small packets or an 8 Oz tub from energy suspension.
Is it more tackey than the schaeffers stuff?

Edit: I found Prothane make a 14 oz tube of their "squeak proof super grease" is that what you are referring too?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gofastman
Edit: I found Prothane make a 14 oz tube of their "squeak proof super grease" is that what you are referring too?

Yes, this is the stuff. (I got it so long ago that I forgot it was Prothane and NOT E.S.!)

Although I DO also have that 8 oz. tub of the E.S. stuff as well.

When the squeaking was on the outside of the bushing ( such as an outer edge rubbing lightly against a metal part) I've had great success with simple silicone spray in the aerosol cans.

A great tip for sway bar bushings is to dimple them with a Dremel or similar tool. Kinda like a golf ball, with smaller holes.
This retains grease better than lines or sipes.
Only takes a minute.
Good luck finding real sway bar grease. I use moly chassis grease - it works great,esp. with my small dimple mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back