super tech conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used super tech full syn in an explorer a while back and it performed well, but what about their convention"(blue bottle). Has anyone had experience with the blue bottle?

I used it in Company trucks for 5,000 mile oil changes. It seemed like Good oil, no complaints. Didnt burn any oil between changes. I wouldnt hesitate to use it in a pinch in my personal vehicles. If I didnt land good deals on Name brand oils, Id be using that. I used the 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30, all with good results. I used the Advance Auto brand 5w20 and The trucks almost immediatly went thru a quart of oil. Id stay away from that stuff. Nothing wrong with Walmart conventional oil at all. If you look at the virgin oil samples, it does well. It just doesnt have any catchy sludge commericals or golden horses running with it.

I have used it in my Jeep and it seemed to do well. I have also used it in my Sierra twice. Once to flush out coolant and debris after a intake manifold repair and another time for a 3k oci. No complaints.

Last edited:
I've used it a couple of times out of curiosity and have no complaints. I think it's decent oil if you are using conservative oil change intervals.

Having said that, when i'm at Walmart it's hard for me to pass up the 5 qt jugs of QuakerState for just 2 dollars more than the SuperTech.

Been running ST dino for many moons. It's a decent oil and mostly made by XOM up here in New England*.

*ST 5W20 is made by WPP.

Im not sure, so do not hold me to this. I think i remember the ST in new jugs being only API SL rated. Im not saying this is good or bad, i just think i remember it. After many OCD nights reading about oil, i have come to this conclusion. In a standard engine that is not hard on oil (ie. not a sludger or turbo ect) I would believe that any SL or SM rated oil would offer more than adequate protection as long as reasonable oil changes are performed. I personally would opt for something like formula shell, chevron or something like that, that i could find a data sheet on and has a pretty good reputation.

I've used Supertech conventional for several years in the past with no problems. I had full confidence in it, and if I end up getting another cheap beater car, it will probably get Supertech. For my last 2 vehicles, I switched over to Supertech Full Synthetic. Soon to use Napa Synthetic due to their latest oil change special.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
Im not sure, so do not hold me to this. I think i remember the ST in new jugs being only API SL rated. Im not saying this is good or bad, i just think i remember it. After many OCD nights reading about oil, i have come to this conclusion. In a standard engine that is not hard on oil (ie. not a sludger or turbo ect) I would believe that any SL or SM rated oil would offer more than adequate protection as long as reasonable oil changes are performed. I personally would opt for something like formula shell, chevron or something like that, that i could find a data sheet on and has a pretty good reputation.

The ST5-30 and 10-30 I got recently are SM spec. They are made by Warren.

This is the same reply I posted on another topic a few days ago........

Nothing wrong with super tech. Use it in all my cars. 98 mustang with 275,000 miles, 03 ranger with 180,000 miles, and 05 crown vic with 80,000 miles. Nothing but super tech since new. Dont leak or burn a drop of oil in 4k to 5k oci's. Please tell me how bad super tech is,lol.

I have to agree with everyone here, supertech is a good buy. With how closely regulated modern oils are, anything meeting sm specs is pretty good stuff.

No personal experience, but I know a guy who runs ST SAE30 and an ST oil filter in his Buick GN. He drives it 70 miles (one way) to the track, runs 11 second 1/4 miles all day and then drives home.

No issues so far. He does blow head gaskets once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back