Okay, I'm not getting these tires.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats what they were LX1's. The worst thing about it was I had my choice of the Firestones or Michelins when I got the car and wanted the Michelins because I thought they were higher dollar and better. Perfect example of the most exspensive not always beingthe best.

We actually used Primewells on used cars when they need new tires - and also when we got a Charger or 300C from the auction, we would send it off to a "dub shop" and they too used cheap Chinese tires. Big O, Firestone, and Les Schwab carry these tires.

Some of these guys have been around for a while - Nankang/Sunny, Federal, Kenda, Cheng Shin/Maxxis. Others have tie-ups with more well-known tire companies, I do know Michelin owns part of Beijing Warrior Tire who makes the Warrior lineup for America's Tire/Discount tire. Toyo and Cheng Shin have a joint venture in China too. I just wouldn't trust brands like Wanli, Primewell and Westlake.

Yeah, quite a few places use them around here.

The only two brands in that list that I have seen do well.....Sunny and Federal.

Have a set of Primewells right now. Have 2 on the back of the Festiva and other 2 in the basement. Not sure what caused the uneven tread.. not sure that I want to know. Still good for the back though. Have Firestone's on the front. So good so far.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

The only two brands in that list that I have seen do well.....Sunny and Federal.

I am looking at Sunny SN3800, the tread design looks almost identical to Dunlop SP9000 for very cheap, around $52 for 235/45-17. The problem is, I could find only one review for the tire online from a Saturn ION owner.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I am looking at Sunny SN3800, the tread design looks almost identical to Dunlop SP9000 for very cheap, around $52 for 235/45-17. The problem is, I could find only one review for the tire online from a Saturn ION owner.

Sunny tends to copy designs, and I've heard that often the all season traction tends to be pretty good. Downside is that the treadwear goes a bit faster with their tires...

But, for a cheap tire, they do pretty decent.

Kumho
Nexen
Hankook
Toyo/Nitto
Sumitomo/Ohtsu/Negotiatior/Falken
Hercules(which can be made by Nexen or Cooper, verify this with the DOT code!)
Those are all good, "no-name" tires I would trust.

Aren't the Nooks and Toyo name brands?
"No-name" in this context is name recognition. Besides Les Schwab, OEM fitments on Toyota and Hyundai, and "tuner" mags Toyo and Hankook don't have the same name draw as say, Goodyear.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I bought a brand new Mercury Couger in 1990 and it came with Michelins and they were dangerous on wet roads, my wife wouldnt even drive it, because she was afraid of them in the rain.

That would have been the Michelin LX1. My 1989 Cougar came new with Firestone FR480's. The FR480's were good enough that I actually put a second set of them on.... but not a third set.

When Firestone started having their problems, that was enough for me.

I had another Cougar owner give me a really good pair of LX1's, but I never used them. Now I know why he gave them to me.

I put Continental Extreme Contacts on my 88 Cougar. Truly great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back