50 micron oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have this Cat Challenger tractor with a 8.4L Sisu diesel engine. I can cross the oil filter to a Wix number and a Fleetguard number and both are rated down to 50 micron. That seems kinda poor for an engine oil filter. The Wix number is a 57405 with 1 1/2"-16 threads. It is about 5.5 inches across and only 7 inches tall. It would be difficult to find a better filter with the same thread that would be so short as clearance is an issue. Anyone know where I might look for a filter header adaptor so I might use some type of a remote mount filter? I'd love to be able to put some type of adaptor on the factory filter head and mount a Fleetguard Venturi Combo off the frame rail or something. This tractor also uses a centrifugal bypass filter but the oil still gets pretty nasty looking.

I have heard sisu engines were pretty good... is it true they have the builder's name on the serial number plate?

The WIX filter for my ATV is not real impressive either... Beta Ratio: 2/20=13/52. They seem to favor flow over filtering?

Amsoil sells a 1 1/2 -16 block adapter. BK301 It's about $60-70. I think it only has 1/2" NPT ports. I think I'd want bigger if my oil volume was in excess of 15-20gpm.

I've seen 1 1/2-16 thread remote hydraulic mounts and I think I have one. Surely 1 3/8-12. Once you're remote, you've got tons of options.

The Wix51792XE would be a good choice for a remote mount if you can fit it in: 5um, 28-30GPM max and holds a gallon of oil. eBay seller tmvtaylor sells the mount with a similar Baldwin filter and bigger ports, item# 370263990965.

Look up item #220550010918 on Ebay. That's a 1 1/2-16 thread hydraulic mount with 1.5" ports. I'm unsure if it has a bypass or not ..or what rating it is. It may need to be defeated in one manner or another.

Thanks for all the help guys. I did some looking around and found this website, www.ftginc.com, that offers remote mount kits. They have a 1 1/2"-16 kit that has 1 5/16" SAE in and out ports. I'll have to give them a call next week and hopefully it's large enough to fit the 5.5" diameter OE filter base.

He'll be okay if he only has the chokes at the mounts and runs 1.5" or AN24 lines. The flow should just accelerate or decelerate (within reason) at those points.

The hydraulic mounts in 1 1/2-16 handle a pretty wide variance of gasket sizes. The filter's can diameter won't matter at all.

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
15415 5.140 4.750 0.195
15661 8 5.030 4.440 0.190
15658 8 5.055 4.480 0.359

In terms of cost and overall performance ..it might be more cost effective to just throw on a bypass filter.

Amsoil's EaBP120 uses a 1 1/2-16 thread mount, but the ports are only 3/8 NPT.

The tractor already has a cartridge type centrifugal bypass on it. It was a factory recall. Oil still gets real sooty, dirty though and I don't do much longer than 200 hour change intervals. I was thinking maybe if I had a better primary filter, it could help clean the oil down a little better and I could try some longer change intervals.

Originally Posted By: Nadir
eBay seller tmvtaylor sells the mount with a similar Baldwin filter and bigger ports, item# 370263990965.
He sells them at a high price and the shipping is high,too.

Yeah, he's not a bargain vendor. He does pound a nickle to it screams. He'll shop for over a month to have a thread adapter made at some machine shop.

Originally Posted By: sdan27
The tractor already has a cartridge type centrifugal bypass on it. It was a factory recall. Oil still gets real sooty, dirty though and I don't do much longer than 200 hour change intervals. I was thinking maybe if I had a better primary filter, it could help clean the oil down a little better and I could try some longer change intervals.

Do you have any UOA on it? The oil in my old, 8200 hr Farmall is jet black in 15 hours but the latest 98 hr UOA showed only 0.8 soot.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Originally Posted By: Nadir
eBay seller tmvtaylor sells the mount with a similar Baldwin filter and bigger ports, item# 370263990965.
He sells them at a high price and the shipping is high,too.

The filter alone lists for anywhere from $30-$75 most places, depending. O-ring fittings, $10 worth of brass. Looks like a pretty good deal to me.

I've sent a couple samples into Blackstone and they've come back pretty good. Usually come back with .4% insolubles and descent wear metals which isn't too bad. They say insolubles are good but then make another note that some soot was found. The oil is not only black, but seems very dirty as well. You get some on your fingers and it stains your skin real bad. Probably gives cancer too. Most of our tractors have black oil but you can just wipe it right off. The OEM filter is an Agco and I don't know where to find any info about those but I look at the Wix and Fleetguard filters and they're only rated at 50 micron. I think with a remote mount filter, like a Fleetguard LF9009, or an LF9691A or any number of others could do a lot better. I should also note we have had some issues with this engine already. At 1000 hours, a connecting rod let loose and blew a hole in the block. Warranty took care of it but they mentioned there was already some sludge building up. So then I cut the service intervals in half, from 400 hours ( as the service manual suggests ), to 200 hours. Just about right at 2000 hours, right after I did an oil change, the engine developed a real bad lifter knock. The dealership came and picked it up and said the valve lash was way out of adjustment and there wasn't hardly any oil getting pumped up to the valve train. The techs at the dealership thought we were running the turbo too hot so the oil was too hot/thin to make it up to the valves. I kinda tend to think, even with the bypass filter, the oil had too much soot in it to make it where it needed to go. We've had other tractors that I've upgraded the primary filter and had noticable results with how much cleaner the oil seems just from pulling the dipstick.

Part Number: 51742
UPC Number: 765809517424
Principal Application: Ford, IHC Trks w/6.9 Diesel Engine (83-93), 7.3L Diesel Engine (87-95)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 5.968
Outer Diameter Top: 4.282
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 1 1/2-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Beta Ratio: 2/20=24/44
Burst Pressure-PSI: 390
Max Flow Rate: 28-30 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 32

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 3.967 3.587 0.340

Get a dedicated bypass filter. Install it and visually verify the flow to the upper end. You can add tons of capacity to the sump with big enough bypass filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back