Snow Chain Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

I am in need of snow chains for my 2006 Camry (205/65-15 tires). (The observatory I do research at is at high altitude, and it snows here during the winter. That, and I'll be traveling to Lake Tahoe, CA for some skiing in a month or so and will definitely need chains then.)

Additionally, my friend will be driving on the trip to Lake Tahoe, and drives a 2004 Corolla with 195/65-15 tires and is also looking for chains.

Unfortunately, living in Arizona, there are effectively no stores that stock chains here. Thus, I'm dependent on ordering things, either for shipment to my local auto parts store or to my house.

Not having needed to use chains in quite some time, I'm unfamiliar with what brands are high quality, reasonably easy to install, durable, and a reasonable value.

Any recommendations?

I like cables better than chains, slightly less traction but there super easy to put on and they make less noise and vibration.
If you do go with chains, make SURE to bring some extra tensioner bands, they can fall of pretty easy.
I used cheap ones I got from from wal-mart in Wyoming, never had any problems.
the ones from Security Chain Company look really nice, thats what I would get.

Last edited:
Never lived anywhere where chains were recommended, but I'm gussing that dedicated winter tires simply aren't good enough for these conditions?

Go to scc-chain.com, the website for Security Chain Co. There are links for the proper part # for your tire size, and where to buy. The Z cable chains are the easiest to install and give good traction. Used by police in snow country. I have a set myself.
If I read the chart correctly your part# is Z547 and is available from Amazon for 85 bucks shipped to your door, but do double check, and happy skiing.

There are two type of chains. Standard and the more aggressive with a center cross link. The aggressive with the center cross link does have more dig in and get you going power but they are really a lot of weight to be slinging around at high-way speeds and might not last as long on fast roads or for stretches of dry road. I have owned both types and prefer the plain jane without the more aggressive center link.

Napa Auto Parts can order chains. I would only use the aggressive with cross link on roads with a speed limit of 25 MPH or less and then only if the road would always have snow.

Unless you are only going to use them on low speed roads (25 MPH maximum) and are pretty sure those roads will never be without snow, you should be sure that the ones you order are without the extra cross link.

Get two sets of tensioners so you can put two tensioners on each tire. And if you can afford it get one extra set of tensioners in case one breaks.

A Camry has too low of a ground clearance for any real winter driving where you would be using chains. You should be in a high ground clearance 4WD with a lift kit for extra ground clearance, and great winter tires like Bridgestone Blizzaks or Bridgestone Duelers, (ask for the most agressive winter tread pattern), these tires have traction on ice. And then still have the chains and 2X the tensioners + 1 spare set of tensioners. But most of the time you would not require the chains.

Normally for winter driving you want a tire that is one size taller than normal and one size skinner than normal. If you are going to be using chains you have to be sure there is enough clearance, so the one size taller might not be possible.

Also you want a floor jack to lift the vehicle to put those chains on.

Probably a good idea to include a CB radio, a GPS so you can tell rescue people where you are, a Spot emergency transmitter, and spare lithium batteries. A proper size winter sleeping bag for each person in the vehicle (child, adult, tall adult) , LED flashlight, and non-perishable food rations and water in bottles that have enough rings built into them to allow them to freeze without breaking are a good idea. Also TP, some tall kitchen plastic trash bags, and a tall bucket like you can get a Pep Boys ( you can put many things in the bucket, and line the bucket with the bags to make an emergency toilet).

If you want to really do it right add a Webasto hydronic heater to the vehicle.

Above all remember there are two type of people who drive with chains on. Those who know that you NEVER spin a tire with chains on, and those who will not put it in low gear when required and give it too much gas and spin the tires with chains on and have the chains break in a few days of use and then wonder why.

Never run chains at highway speed on dry roads, or for any long distance at lower speed on dry roads.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
There are two type of chains...

I'm going to Tahoe for a week of skiing and occasionally drive on a sloped dirt road with a bit of snow that's a bit slippery, not preparing for an Antarctic expedition.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Never lived anywhere where chains were recommended, but I'm gussing that dedicated winter tires simply aren't good enough for these conditions?

I live in Arizona. Snow is almost never an issue; keeping the car and tires from melting in the summer is a far more critical issue. I need chains because I'm going to be driving up to Tahoe for a week of skiing. It would be an incredibly wasteful expense to buy a whole set of winter tires just for a week of use. I also have a small studio apartment, with no room to store them.

The observatory I do research at has a moderate amount of snow for a month or so during the winter, and the 300-foot-long, sloped access road is unpaved and oftentimes slippery when there's snow on it (it's rock hard and dry during all the other times in the year). I'd feel much more comfortable having chains available if needed. Again, having dedicated snow tires would be a gross waste of my limited funds.

Originally Posted By: gofastman
In the mountains, ideally you will have snow tires with chains.

Indeed, but it's only for a week. As mentioned above, snow tires are unnecessary.

And yes, I know I need chains...which is why I asked for recommendations. :)

Originally Posted By: Seguino
Go to scc-chain.com, the website for Security Chain Co. There are links for the proper part # for your tire size, and where to buy. The Z cable chains are the easiest to install and give good traction. Used by police in snow country. I have a set myself.
If I read the chart correctly your part# is Z547 and is available from Amazon for 85 bucks shipped to your door, but do double check, and happy skiing.

Excellent. The Z cables are a bit pricey for my taste. I was thinking of something more along the lines of this, which is made by the same company, gets good reviews, and is much more reasonably priced for what I'll need them for. I'm just looking for a simple, light-duty set for occasional use, nothing super heavy duty.

The 'Z' cables work so much better than regular cables that I believe it to be foolish to jeapordize your (and others)safety.

Hes going to use them if he gets stuck, or to go 300 yards on a road..
really a 2006 camry has no ground clearance anyway so anything more is somewhat overkill.

I wouldnt cheap out too much, its bad to find out when you are stuck on the road those cheap chains are a total pain in the butt to put on and dont work very well.

but the z-chains are somewhat overkill for his application.

Last edited:
Man, after reading all of this I'm trying to figure out how I've made it all these years in the frozen tundra without a set of chains. Come to think of it, without snow tires either.

www.vulcantire.com

Try the Thule ones, the CB-12 or for more money CS-10.

Both have built-in tensioners.

CB-12 requires a retension after about 15-20 feet of driving.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E2safFI17c

CS-10 is self-tensioning/centering.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9xhvZamNP8

I have the CB-12, which works fine, even though my car is lowered.
IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Hes going to use them if he gets stuck, or to go 300 yards on a road..
really a 2006 camry has no ground clearance anyway so anything more is somewhat overkill.

heypete is going to Tahoe. He's going to use them before he gets stuck.

When CalTrans determines chains are needed, they will have "Chain-up" areas, and will have checkpoints to insure people are equipped according to conditions.

The worst time to learn to use chains is when you are stuck

Quote:
Excellent. The Z cables are a bit pricey for my taste. I was thinking of something more along the lines of this, which is made by the same company, gets good reviews, and is much more reasonably priced for what I'll need them for. I'm just looking for a simple, light-duty set for occasional use, nothing super heavy duty.

I think these will work fine for your need. They are somewhat more difficult to install and ride rougher due to the tire going on and off the cross chain. If you can live with that, go for it.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Man, after reading all of this I'm trying to figure out how I've made it all these years in the frozen tundra without a set of chains. Come to think of it, without snow tires either.

There's some things different between Wisconsin and Arizona/California/British Columbia.......Mountains! In the case of CA, there's also a CHP officer at the bottom of the mountain telling you you must have chains on to proceed unless you have a 4 wheel drive with snow tires on all 4 wheels.

Originally Posted By: Seguino
I think these will work fine for your need. They are somewhat more difficult to install and ride rougher due to the tire going on and off the cross chain. If you can live with that, go for it.

Excellent. I don't really have any need for heavy-duty, expensive chains.

My folks have had no problem with radial chains in the decades they've been driving, including in moderately low-clearance vehicles like their Toyota Avalon. I don't foresee any real issues using radial chains, and the SC1032s seem to fit the bill and get good reviews. A bit of vibration isn't a big deal.

Naturally, I'll fit the chains ahead of time so I know exactly how to get them on quickly when they're needed.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

I recall buying a set of chains for my truck at Pepboys. They had a sign saying that they do not accept returns of chains. Since I was experienced with SC, I took my truck there and explained that I was going to put them on in their lot and if they weren't going to fit, I would bring them right back and demand a refund. Well, of course they wouldn't fit and the manager refused to refund my money. I told him that if he could put them on my truck the correct way, then I would keep them, if not, I would make it into a big deal. Well, the manager came out and tried, and got his mechanics over to try as I just watched with a smile. He couldn't get them on, acknowledged that the chains was incorrect with their size and gave my money gave.

Make sure you put them on before you actually have to use them. It's always funny to drive past people that are trying to put the SC and don't know what to do.

I've had those radial chains from SCC. There isn't a huge amount of difference in terms of noise/vibration between them and the Z chains (neither of them are quiet nor smooth), but the Z chains are a LOT easier to put on. The chain tighteners do all the hard work for you, instead of you having to use your hands to muscle a freezing, wet piece of cable with not-so-rough edges through a tiny 1/4" hole and then pulling it tight enough so it doesn't slip off. NOT FUN. Plus you have to do it for the cable on the far side of the tire near the axle, which is even MORE fun.

Me being pretty klutzy, I take 2-3x longer to put on the cheap chains than the z chains (also cut my fingers once).

I've seen a few of those cables (even saw someone putting on some Z8's on a 2WD pickup before going into Yosemite) and they seem much easier to put on.

I've seen the instructions for the ladder-type cables and the recommended technique of fastening them at the bottom seems like a pain. I've tried in the garage and there's no way I can seem to get it tight. However - one can use chain tighteners or maybe a couple of bungee cords on each tire to help take up the slack after the first adjustment.

I remember alternate recommendations to lay out ladder-chains in front of a car, driving over them, and then fastening them near the top of the tire. I think there should be more room that way. However - the Z-types with the tighteners and no additional adjustments seem like a much better way.

The ladder chains are relatively easy to put on if you lay them in back of the tire then drive onto them and hook them up at the 8 o'clock position. Get the rear cable as tight as you can, then hook up the front cable. Drive a couple of hundred feet to seat the chain on the tire, then stop and re tighten the outer cable. They will almost always stay tight after one re tightening. Still not as easy as the Z chain, but not too bad except for having to lay down to get the back cable hooked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back