Amsoil's MTG or Redline's MT-90?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two questions for you guys...

#1: How often do you change manual transmission fluid?

#2: Amsoil's MTG or Redline's MT90?

Now please keep in my mind this SpecV requires GL-4, and it can NOT be GL-5. This car gets autocrossed, drag raced, off-roaded, and driven really aggresively.. it's my toy. I don't know much about tranny fluid so I wanna hear it
19.gif

#1 30-50K
#2 flip a coin. I have used an MT90/MTL mix in my !echo! and see no reasons to look elsewhere.

edit:Redline does not recommend extending OM drain intervals for gear lubes due to the contamination factor.

Last edited:
If you're flogging it, you will probably do an annual fluid change. Try one ..then try the other. You decide what delivers the best performance.

As Gary said - try both and see which one you like the best. You can't go wrong with either one, they are both outstanding products.

I use the MT90/MTL mix as well. Best, smoothest shifting and quieting of gear whine of anything I've tried. Never tried Amsoil though, so cant say it's better than that.

I change every 2-3 years, thats 50-100,000km.

I change mine every 25k. 2003 Toyota Matrix XRS 6 speed. Tried Amsoil SVG which was a mistake on my part. Tried the MTG. Didn't like it. Went to 100% MT90. Haven't looked back. I now run a blend of MT90 and MTL (2/1).

SVG - Transmission HATED it, even though the tranny is rated for GL4 or GL5. Swapped after 5k.

MTG - Better but still had hard shifting when temps below 40F or so.

MT90 - Better than the MTG. Developed a 3 gear issue in temps below 60F. It's the syncros but...

MT90/MTL mix - Helped the 3rd gear issue. Still there but not as bad. Once warm, it shifts VERY smooth.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I would try Amsoil, only because I trust their R&D more than Redline.

Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back