Aisin Warner AF33 - what oil (can I mix?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some updates:
First of all, I forgot to tell what oil I used in the end. I used the Fuchs Titan ATF 4400, as mentioned in earlier posts.
Now, I have used the car some, and still Im very happy with the result. Now, the slip-lock actually kicks in, in all gears. In 5 and partly 4 gear, this was not the case before I changed to JWS3309. Of course this could be related to the fact I now have changed alot of oil, but Im not convinced this is the only truth. We have had some cold temps outside, -4 deg. Fahrenheit at lowest, and the gearbox behaves nicely. A bit slow the first minutes of driving, but then completely normal.
Also, I came over a forum for Saab, where a dude had got a statement from the Saab factory (remember Saab is/was a GM company, as Opel), telling that the AF33/5 should not use anything else but a JWS3309 oil, and explain this with a increased slippering and to high temps, when using other oils. Also, when I search in several recommadation tables, and find other cars using this AF33, most says use the JWS3309, and for a few models, like mine Opel Vectra, they say DexronIII. As others here has pointed out, JWS3309 and DexronIII is pretty close in spec (but still not the same), so some oils, like the Fuchs one, is both. But, when GM replace the III with the VI, I belive there are to big difference? So, when GM/Opel says I should use theirs OEM Dexron III, but replaced this with the VI, Im relly getting the wrong oil for the AF33?!
At least when so many other car brands says use the JWS3309 in AF33, I rely on this, better than trust GM/Opel.
Hopefully I have not "toasted" the clutches in mine. I really cannot afford to get a new gearbox. Here, a new one, mounted, will cost approx $15.800 in total. Thats alot of beer
20.gif

Thats definitely a lot of beer when you consider the cost of the transmission.

Slip-controlled shifts require a quality fluid which DexronIII is NOT.

DexronVI is a quality ATF and should work well with your transmission too.

With the Aisin transmissions it is important to read the dipstick for the original specification. Just because the same transmission was used with three different fluids doesn't mean any of the three can be used in a given unit. The friction materials in the transmission may have been matched with the fluid change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back