Might need new tires this weekend...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm headed up to Tahoe on Sunday, and my current set of Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S are nearly down to the bars and I know there's gonna be tons of ice and snow up there for the next 72 hours. More than likely, I'm headed to Costco for these and they have the following avaliable:
Michelin Primacy MXV4 - $137
Bridgestone Potenza RE960PP - $118

I'm tempted to get the Bridgestones, but the Michelins are a tempting offer since Costco is currently having $70 off a set of 4 Michelin or $60 off BFG - but they do not have the Traction T/A or g-Force Super Sport T/A AS in stock. What you guys think? I've been very, very pleased with the Exalto as it does make a luxobarge handle quite well. I'm thinking the Potenzas will be close to the Exaltos.

Quote:
I know there's gonna be tons of ice and snow up there

Having owned both (alas, in different sizes), I have to say that they both suck in the snow, but at least the Potenzas perform extremely well during summer (wet and dry) and are relatively responsive (for an all-season tire).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Quote:
I know there's gonna be tons of ice and snow up there

Having owned both (alas, in different sizes), I have to say that they both suck in the snow, but at least the Potenzas perform extremely well during summer (wet and dry) and are relatively responsive (for an all-season tire).

The car on which the tires will be installed on will maybe see the occasional snow day, but they will encounter ice every now and then. I haven't justified the cost of keeping a separate set of snow tires on hand - but I will with my next car 3-4 years down the road.

However, I want excellent rain performance for NorCal deluges and precise roadfeel. A big plus if the tires don't cry out loud when I hit turns a little too fast but not to the point where the laws of physics take over.

Last edited:
Isn't 205/65-15 OEM tire of '91 LS400 ? OEM size of '94 LS400 is 225/60-16.

215/55-16 is about 1.3" smaller in diameter than 225/60-16. I think you should go with 225/55-16 to match the diameter of OEM size for '91 LS400, or go with 225/60-16.

According to the miata.net tire calc, 215/55-16 is closer to the OEM 205/65-15. The 1993-2000 cars got the 225/60-16 tires stock.

Diameter of 205/65-15 is 25.5", 215/55-16 is 25.3" and 225/55-16 is 25.7". I would choose 225/55-16 for better handling/performance.

I would choose Continental ExtremeContact DWS for outstanding wet and ice/snow performance. The price is very good too, at $95/ea for size 225/55-16 on Tire Rack.

Decided on the Bridgestones. Except for a hit on MPG, they feel and drive incredibly good.

HTSS_TR: I looked at the Contis, but there was no one who had them in stock locally.

Nice choice. Only real reason I wouldn't buy them is that most bridgestone tires are Made in Japan, but oh well. Hope they last long and work well for you.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Only real reason I wouldn't buy them is that most bridgestone tires are Made in Japan, but oh well.
I won't argue with "most", but I believe that most sold in the USA are made in the USA. Their plant between Aiken SC and Augusta GA is HUGE. It is strange that their manufacturing facilities are not identifiable on the website.

I love my RE960's on my Subaru WRX even after 35k miles but they are abysmal in winter conditions.

Not sure why "Made in Japan" is a bad thing as mine are.

Last edited:
In the specs under tires, tirerack lists the COO for the different sizes. Not saying there is a quality problem with Japanese tires (Only Chinese Made tires IMO) but I just prefer to buy things made in USA if I can help it.

The specs sheet for thos tires. They are either made in mexico, or japan, or Indonesia.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?m...tirePageLocQty=

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: rjundi
I love my RE960's on my Subaru WRX even after 35k miles but they are abysmal in winter conditions.

Maybe it's size- or speed rating-dependent. The V-rated ones in size 235/45/17 are indeed awful during winter. The H-rated ones in 195/65/15 are manageable, but still far from decent.

Originally Posted By: George Bynum
Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Only real reason I wouldn't buy them is that most bridgestone tires are Made in Japan, but oh well.
I won't argue with "most", but I believe that most sold in the USA are made in the USA. Their plant between Aiken SC and Augusta GA is HUGE. It is strange that their manufacturing facilities are not identifiable on the website.

Most Firestone brand, truck fitments and mainstream/OEM are made in the US. Most Potenzas and some Turanzas are made in Japan or in Mexico/Central America. Some like the Fuzion series and G009/G019 are made in Indonesia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back