Do you keep track of other peoples tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the brand/model of most of my family members, friends, and co-workers tires. If somebody buys a new set of tires, I usually know it within a week without them telling me because I ALWAYS check that out. If somebody has different brand tires on front and rear axles, I know that and form a negative opinion of the person whomever it is. If somebody runs winter tires past April, I know that because I keep track of those things. I know who has little tread, lots of tread, etc etc. If I am in the vicinity of an automobile I observe the tires.

Sounds like you have to much time on your hands and needlessly poking your nose into others business. A large number of dogs also observe tires.

I only really notice other peoples tires (other than the ones on the vehicles in our garage/driveway) when they are notable. IE completely bald tires, severely underinflated tires. I do have tha bility to identify alot of tires from the tread pattern when behind someone stopped. I can identify Michelin LTX M/S, Goodyear Assurance Tripletred, Michelin Hydroedge, General Altimax HP/RT, Bridgestone Turanza Serenity, and quite a few others very easily.

I can spot which tire is low when driving behind another vehicle. I helped my cousin with a low tire on his Tahoe. He's like, "Oh, it's supposed to drive straight you mean?"

I think it is pathetic how some people can drive in winter conditions with tires you would never ketch me with in the summer. I know some people do not have the money, but they should be yanked from the road by police so they do not endanger others weather they be outside there vehicle or riding along.

I wish tire tread and even inflation were part of accident reporting on TV. Maybe then some people would wise up.

I also am put off by people who justify not putting good tires on in the winter for what ever reason they cite, I have heard many. It has traction control. Please, all the bells and whistles don't mean a thing if the point of traction interacting with the road ain't worth a darn. Some say "It is a lease car and I will be getting rid of it in 2 and 1/2 years."

Again I point out that there are 37,000 to 43,000 people killed in vehicle accidents each year in the United States and about 1,200,000 killed in vehicle accidents world wide each year. How many of them are because of unfit tires is unknown, but each accident that takes a life with a vehicle with a problem tire(s) should have some public disclosure of that being a contribution.

But if you are reading this site I am probably preaching to the choir.

One of the prime examples are cars parked in off track betting building parking lots with bald tires in the middle of the winter.

Again, these people should be yanked from the road for everyone's protection.

I see this by exception.

Can walk past a lawn, and spot a 4 leaf clover at 10 feet...at times...or a flap of sidewall, or an abnormally worn boiler tube, or some other aberration.

Only time I see other people's tyre problems is if an abnormal wear catches my eye, something is sticking out, car is obviously out of alignment, or crabbing...stuff like that.

I get paid to keep track of other peoples tyres...and get to tell them they have to buy new ones too.Sometimes they aren't too happy about me keeping track of their tyres.

Originally Posted By: Joe1

I know the brand/model of most of my family members, friends, and co-workers tires. If somebody buys a new set of tires, I usually know it within a week without them telling me because I ALWAYS check that out. If somebody has different brand tires on front and rear axles, I know that and form a negative opinion of the person whomever it is. If somebody runs winter tires past April, I know that because I keep track of those things. I know who has little tread, lots of tread, etc etc. If I am in the vicinity of an automobile I observe the tires.

And I thought I was strange for being such a tire geek!

i check out other people's tires too

like the quality/brand of them

inflation

and tread life left

sometimes I look at the brands just to see where they buy tires and how [censored] of service they get done to their cars

I have to with my Dad... otherwise, he'd run them until they blow.

(In fact, that happened a time or two when I was a child... Usually on family vacation, out along the interstate somewhere...)

I check the tires on my mom's car when I go back home on breaks from school. She will check the pressure and add air herself, but she's not so good about looking at the tread. I used to keep an eye on my dad's tires before he got his Civic Hybrid, but since that car comes with free replacement tires for life, he has gotten very good at keeping an eye on the tires and pointing out any wear issues to the Honda dealer. He would run them until they are bald otherwise, but now that he can get free ones he probably looks at the tires more than the oil.

I don't pay much attention to tires other than my own. I'll talk about tires with my friends who are car/truck/Jeep guys, but other than that I just don't care. I will take notice of and avoid other cars I see with extreme tire issues though, like steel belts showing.

I do notice the cheap no-name tires on cars walking through parking lots.
I always tell people who ask that a set of good tires will transform a car, while a set of cheapos are a long lasting misery.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I do notice the cheap no-name tires on cars walking through parking lots.
I always tell people who ask that a set of good tires will transform a car, while a set of cheapos are a long lasting misery.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back