What oil should I use for a friends 2006 Equinox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hate2work

The PP 5W-30 and Wix filter that you use for your own rig would be a very good combo for your friend's truck.

+1

I actually had an 08 Equinox for about a year. I ran QS HP( now Ultimate Durability )and it did well on it. QS, PP, VVL, Kendall, etc... Basically any name brand synthetic would be a good choice. Note that the 3.4L is known for startup valve train clatter( complain at a GM dealer and per GM warranty directions they time how long it takes to go away and it has to take longer than a minute before they will do anything )so IMO a synthetic is in order.

I would offer a filter warning however. I got a deal on some Napa ProSelect filters for $0.99 each( new - local Napa promotion )but couldn't use them as they caused the standard cold start noises to become HORRIBLE cold start noises. I went back to the OE AC Delco filters and things went back to normal. As I said above, the 3.4L is known for startup rattles/valve train clatter but it was REALLY bad when I ran those ProSelects.

Last edited:
Well folks. My local Auto Parts Plus store only had the Auto Extra version filter. I suspect that it is the same as Napa Proselect as NHHEMI stated didn't work well in his Equinox. So I went to CruddyTire and picked up a QS3387 made by I believe Purolater. Also Walmart had QS Qhorsepower on for $5/quart. So my friend will have a synthetic oil change with a decent filter for about $30 Canadian. I think He'll be happy. He's used to GM dealer 45 bucks for dino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back