Recommended oil for 1967 GTO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an engine from a 1967 GTO in my Grand Am. It's been overhauled by myself and broken in. The factory recommended 30 weight oil back in the day. What should I use now? I'm in south florida with average to high temps. The car is not raced, but driven hard sometimes.

I'm thinking 10W40 might be good to use, what do you think/suggest?

Rotella either cheap 15w40 or go with the more expensive 5w40. The HDEO oils have more zinc and phos to better protect the older flat tappet cam engines.

I agree with Gator.

That's an interesting combination you have there, a 389 in a Grand Am.

I've requested the mods move this to the PCMO gasoline section. Might get more hits that way.

Last edited:
Say I was thinking the exact same thing, wow a 389 in a smallish grand am hmmm. should be a rel tire burner since thier is no weight in the rear.

Welcome to the PCMO section. We're still going to tell you to use HDEO though
thumbsup2.gif

If it is a ’67 Pontiac GTO motor then it is a 400, not 389. Originally the oil called for was 10W40. Then you get into the below this and above that exceptions but for where the OP lives, 10W40. This also assumes the rebuild was to original specs in regards to tolerances.

Those engines had decent cams in them , stock.
You should consider the advice to use a HDEO.
They were not designed to run on 5-20.

So a 5-40 or 15-40 [which will be a diesel/gas oil] will be a good choice.

Originally Posted By: lonestar
If it is a ’67 Pontiac GTO motor then it is a 400, not 389. Originally the oil called for was 10W40. Then you get into the below this and above that exceptions but for where the OP lives, 10W40. This also assumes the rebuild was to original specs in regards to tolerances.

+1

Back in 1981 I owned a 1967 GTO. Luckily I sold it before I started drinking. It had a 400 in it.

My dad had a '64 GTO with the 389 (3Xdueces) and a '67 GTO with the 400 (Rochester 4 barrel). The 389 was a nice engine, but the '64 was heavy and didn't handle very well. The '67 was a much better upgrade in all areas, especially handling and braking.

If you have ever had one of these engines, and I have and still do, using XW30 will result in the valve train sounding like rocks in a coffee can. Additionally, once warm the oil pressure will drop to a point that you do not want. If built to correct specs, the engine needs a 6 qt fill of 10W or 15W40.

If you have ever had one of these engines, and I have and still do, using XW30 will result in the valve train sounding like rocks in a coffee can. Additionally, once warm the oil pressure will drop to a point that you do not want. If built to correct specs, the engine needs a 6 qt fill of 10W or 15W40.

Although I was still pretty young back in the '60's, I did cut my teeth learning how to drive (terrorizing western PA country roads) with the '67. I really don't remember the noises that you describe using 30wt oils, but I may have been giving it too much gas!
Using 20W50 or SAE30 in the summer and 10W30 in the winter was the routine back then, along with using snow tires in the rear seasonally as well. Nothing really helped these cars in the snow though.

Last edited:

Agree. 30 weight doesn't cut it in those engines. 10W-40 or even 20W-50 during the extreme summer temps is my recommendation.

I would run a break in specific oil( many different ones starting to pop up - RP has a good one )initially then swap to an oil with a higher ZDDP level like Brad Penn, Royal Purple, Redline, etc...

Thanks for all your input, Rotella is easy to find here so I'll try that.

BTW its a 67 400 Pontiac with an upgraded Lunati cam, .490 lift and 230 duration @ .050. I'm dedicated to running the right oil, I have wiped out a cam in the past and don't want to do that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back