BFG Long Trail Touring or Cooper Discoverer CTS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've narrowed down my list to these two for my '07 Hyundai Santa Fe.

Anyone have any positive or negative experience with either one?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

Have a set of BFG Long Trail touring on the Escape.. had them around 30k. First winter was great as the tires were almost new but the second one I wasn't to thrilled with their performance. Still got around good enough though. If they keep up wearing as the do we should get around 70k out of them same as the stockers. I would of liked to get the regular Long Trails but Sam's didn't have them. Don't remember traction issues ever with those and they lasted 75k before on threw it's tread. I think those would of lasted 100k... I bought the truck at 50k and they weren't new then so I could be wrong on the mileages.

I dont really like the long trail? or was that rugged trail.. whichever one is oem.

The Long Trail was redesigned from the original in the last couple years. I've read that the new design is considerably better than the old.

The Rugged Trail was an OE tire on the Ford Explorer. More aggressive tread design than the Long Trail. Long Trail is a 60k rated tire, the Rugged Trail has no rating.

Long Trail looks to be a decent Touring tire. $60 rebate at DT/DTDirect.

oilcoholic,

I took a look for the BFG Long Trail Touring at discounttiredirect, but unfortunately, they do not carry them (at least in my size: 235/70R16).

Bummer...that $60 rebate would have helped!

Talked to DTD and they said it's an odd size, hard to get. Even Tire Rack has no availabilty on that size until 3/12.

Rep said 245/70/16 would work fine and is .3" wider and .3" taller and .5" and $118 a tire with free shipping. Unfortunately today is the last day for this BFG $60 rebate. Though in my experience, they do these BFG/Mich rebates regularly.

Wow! I bought mine from Discount Tire and that is a very common size. Look on BFG's Website. Also, Tread Depot has the 235/70/R16's listed. When I put them on our local Discount Tire had 12 sets in stock.

Quote:
Look on BFG's Website. Also, Tread Depot has the 235/70/R16's listed.

Yes, Treadepot has it, one tire in stock in that size. Could be the DTD rep lied to me about it being an odd size.
21.gif
Though Tire Rack not having it available till next month and TD only having one is curious. BFG website would just list tire sizes made, not popularity.

I just looked on the Discount Tire Website for our local-Upstate SC Stores- and they all have the BFG's in stock in 235-70R16. Something seems "funny" with them saying that BFG doesn't make that size. Also, Tread Depot restocks every Wednesday. They are outside Atlanta. I bet next week they will have more.

If you read, the DTD rep never said "BFG didn't make that size tire". Using the term/word "odd" implies/indicates a meaning of, not as common as some other sizes, not that the size is not made. After using the term 'odd' he said it could take a couple or few weeks to get it back in stock. What DT stores have in stock would be/is determined on an in store basis of availabilty, or the ability to swap between stores, which is common practice. As an online company, DTD would not be the same ability, similar to Tire Rack not having that size available till next month.

As for Treadepot, they are the online subsidiary of Kauffman Tire out of Atlanta. While Treadepot may or may not have the tire back in stock on Wednesday, they currently don't have it in stock. However, similar to DT some of the KT stores in/around Atlanta have that size in stock, while other don't.

So, while the size may or may not be an "odd" size, the fact reamains, 3 of the largest online tire companies including DTD, don't have 235/70/R16's BFG Long Trails currently in stock.

The BFG Long Trail touring is a FANTASTIC tire- I've got them on my daughter's Cherokee, and they changed the whole character of the car. My folks put them on their Durango, which had never had anything but Michelins since new, and they work great there too.

One word of caution- BFG has made two very different tires with the "Long Trail" name- the Radial Long Trail T/A is an OEM tire with an asymmetric tread, and they're pretty mediocre. The Long Trail Touring, is a symmetric tread tire with better traction, and is much quieter.

Just got BFG Long Trail Tours for a 2WD Durango, replacing nearly bald Michelin XTerrains. Felt like going from a solid rubber tire to a regular tire. Old tires would wiggle coming to a stop at the stop light due to the "ruts" formed by other cars stopping there. Wiggling problem completely vanished with the BFGs. Very quiet at all speeds, nice soft ride, zero difference in fuel mileage, and I got a great deal at Sears vs. Discount because none of the Discounts had this tire in stock within 300 miles of me. So very glad I stuck with the BFG choice; I highly recommend them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back