4:3 laptop displays

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand why consumer PCs went to wide screens.

But why did all business laptops do this?

For me, a wide screen is a waste and counterproductive. My current PC has a 4:3 screen, but I haven't seen non-wide laptops for ages now.

I like a laptop with a 14" non-wide display. The 14" wide screens are too short, and a 15" wide screen makes the whole laptop too big.

I realize this is probably a pointless question because it won't influence any manufacturers.

I actually like wide screen for business, assuming the screen is big enough. This way I can have two documents open side-by-side if I'm comparing things or just going back and forth between the two.

It's also useful in Outlook as you can have a list of folders on the far left, list of emails in the middle, and then a nice preview pane on the right. This is all personal preference of course.

If you have 16:9 widescreen you need a much bigger monitor to be useful. A 19" 4:3 is pretty good, but 19" 16:9 is way to small.

I have dual 4:3 17" LCDs at work that I like better than one big 16:9.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
I love 16:9. Makes Excel work much easier. 24" 16:9 FTW!

Notice you said 24". The original post was about 14 and 15" laptop screens. A 14" widescreen would be like peaking through a crack at something.

I agree that it depends on the application.

For side-by-side views, a wide screen is a bonus. For spreadsheets too.

I don't use Outlook, but I see it now and then, and understand how a wide screen works well for it.

I am not against wide screens. I just wish some business laptops were still available with 4:3 screens.

I guess no LCD manufacturer wants to make more product lines than are worthwhile for the market.

PandaBear, I wouldn't mind turning my screen that way sometimes if I could.

Good point earlier about the glossy stuff. Mine is non-glossy, better for reflections. But the glossy screens must be more impressive on the show floor.
wink.gif

The industry has consolidated about a year ago to offer mostly screens that can be scaled to 720P or 1080p resolutions. Economies of scale...it's cheaper to offer something that is mass produced than something like a 4:3 screen that doesn't sell as well.

That being said, the Viewsonic 2021m 4:30 monitor was the nicest 4:3 monitor I have used.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
I love 16:9. Makes Excel work much easier. 24" 16:9 FTW!

Notice you said 24". The original post was about 14 and 15" laptop screens. A 14" widescreen would be like peaking through a crack at something.

My laptop has a 15" wide screen display. I still like it, and for the same reason.

PS My docking station has a dual monitor set-up, and more often than not, I have one document spread across both of them. So I REALLY like the wide screen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back