Police want backdoor to Web users' private data

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10446503-38.html

"It sounds very dangerous," says Lee Tien, an attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation, referring to the police-only Web interface. "Let's assume you set this sort of thing up. What does that mean in terms of what the law enforcement officer be able to do? Would they be able to fish through transactional information for anyone? I don't understand how you create a system like this without it."

Very scary indeed.

Quote:
In an incendiary October 2009 essay, however, Kardasz wrote that Internet service providers that do not keep records long enough "are the unwitting facilitators of Internet crimes against children"

What an elegant illustration of why the people who enforce the law are different from the people who make the law.

How about they just execute the child molesters publically. That might cut down on the problem. OR just put them in prison "general population" and let the guys inside know why they are there.

Case closed. Guys in prison HATE people who hurt kids.

That is scary.

I agree with the general pop thing. My brother in law is a guard, and he sees some decent guys in there.

I don't see why they need a backdoor when they can ask the ISP for the info officially with a search warrant.

The sophisticated ones can always encrypt everything and takes forever to crack, but that's what they are intended to be, so if there is a backdoor people won't use them.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I don't see why they need a backdoor when they can ask the ISP for the info officially with a search warrant.

The point is that some ISPs take a very long time to respond, and destroy the information after a certain amount of time.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: PandaBear

The point is that some ISPs take a very long time to respond, and destroy the information after a certain amount of time.

But that doesn't means they should give a wide open backdoor that anyone can hack in.

If response time and data retention is the problem, fix that into the law instead.

Agreed. Just laying out the argument that was made.
55.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back