Engine noise with Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that a lot of other people have noticed this also. Does anyone have any reasons why M1 seems to bring out so much noise?

I want to keep using the M1 EP that I use now but the valvetrain noise that I get with M1 really gets to me. It seems that others have had this same experience.

What's your take on this?

36.gif

Originally Posted By: AdRock

I've noticed that a lot of other people have noticed this also. Does anyone have any reasons why M1 seems to bring out so much noise?

I wonder if it is related to the high Iron that M1 often causes in UOAs.

Maybe your car needs valve adjustment? You guys have good hearings b/c I can't hear a darn difference b/t brands. The only thing I can feel is smoothness and peppiness to a limited degree. M1 EP is excellent, lives up to its name for long drains and excellent UOAs.

Oh well, I guess I'll sit back and
36.gif
with Mr. Bill.

FWIW my motor was the smoothest i've found it on M1.

but yeah... not much can be said about this... 3...2....1...

This has been talked about over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and overover and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

And the conclusion is: Nothing

when i switched to m1 my valve train noise did not really change at all, in fact if anything it got a little quieter, reduced oil consumption, increased gas mileage so far. This is on m1 0W30.

I want to keep using the M1 EP that I use now but the valvetrain noise that I get with M1 really gets to me. It seems that others have had this same experience.

The EP and AFE comparably give less noise compared with the normal 5w-30, the loudest I experienced before is with 5w-30 non A5 version

Last edited:
Been using M1 for 100k plus, no noises, only me when I send in my 1000 bucks a month for gas, screaminggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Originally Posted By: grease_monkey
when i switched to m1 my valve train noise did not really change at all, in fact if anything it got a little quieter, reduced oil consumption, increased gas mileage so far. This is on m1 0W30.

I also noticed the same thing, maybe because of the moly effect.

I've been using M1 EP since my first OC in my Civic. I haven't noticed any valve chain clatter or noise of any kind.
One possible reason for older engines, maybe M1 is cleaning out some sound dampening sludge.

My
49.gif
. I ran Mobil 1 exclusively in my van for ~ 20 years. I decided to switch Dec 2008 because of some issues that were going on with M1 at the time, and their attitude in general toward customers. [No flame war please]. Anyway I switched to PP and noticed a quieter engine. I guess I grew accustomed to the sounds of the engine, and was pleasantly surprised at how much quieter the PP made it. Sometimes you won't notice a change until you make a change.
21.gif
JMO

It has a lot to do with the number of people using it, and how meticulous a person would be, that would post their opinions about oil on the internet.

Many, Many people happily use Mobil 1, and other oils, that dont frequent BITOG. We are oil fanatics, and sometimes pay too much attention to trivial things.

Heres a head scratcher, I'm running Amsoil in the Jeep, and Mobil 10w30 was quieter in the 4.0......
wink.gif

Very simple: PAO base oil with low traction and low affinity will allow more racket. Again, PAO is a good cold flow fluid but NOT a great high lubricity lubricant. Also these synthetics are typ low viscosity EC oils in which just a 10cSt v a 12cSt oil at operating temp are very noticable on non-hydraulic lashed, cam-in head design. You may also have less resonance damping of rotating-harmonic systems. This is very basic stuff - not a mystery. You can get a similar effect with grpIII oils. The tribochemist has to work his/her magic and art to formulate a great lubricant. What is not completely understood is how the low zddp makes for a noisier engine. The thoughts are pointing to an increase in the "stick-slip" phenom. Also a lot of attentioned may be focused on passing or meeting API/ILSAC spec while disregarding on the road performance.

Last edited:

You know, I consistently see people on the internet bash a whole brand over a problem with 1 product.

FRAM is bashed when the only product they have with significant reports of problems is the Extra Guard (Orange Can). Even on BITOG, a picture is posted of a car with a FRAM Racing Oil Filter and everyone is saying get that Orange Can of Death off!

This is what's going on with M1. M1 5w30 is the grade that is most sold in their lineup. If you are that company and you want to cut costs, you will do so on that grade and not the performance or fuel economy grades. The 5w30 isn't terrible by any means but it's ok or decent compared to other grades like 0w40 that are excellent and the AFE grades 0w30 and 0w20 that are really good.

Another reason to cut down your 5w30 is that most of the common 5w30 users tend to be fearful of using anything other than that grade except 10w30 when the car gets older. M1 probably figures that most of their 5w30 purchasers are ignorant of what oil grades mean and are too fearful of using 0w30 AFE instead. If you think 0w30 is "too thin" for your 5w30 car, then this is you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back