Best oil for 2001 Toyota Camry v6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning on doing my own oil changes but I am not sure what oil I should use.
If anyone can tell me which oil (both dino and syn) is the best for my car, this would be great!

2001 Toyota Camry CE V6 185000 miles

I drive 5 miles back and forth to school everyday. And every other day I drive around 50 miles back and forth combined.

When I drive on the highway I tend to go 70 mph plus in the fast lane. So does this mean I drive hard? haha not too sure

I just want to know what oil I should be running in my car.

And I forgot to add, but I've been getting my oil done every 3000 miles.

Last edited:
dgee,

If it were my Camry I'd go for using a synthetic oil like Mobil 1 5W-30 weight. With the miles you drive (small) I feel you need a synthetic.

Because you drive so little miles I'd every weekend at the most drive it on the highway for a good hour and a half to get the oil hot and circulate throughout the entire motor to absorb any moisture build-up AND melt/absorb any possible sludge that might form inside your V-6. If you go this route then you can do your oil changes at the prescribed time interval mentioned in your instruction manuel. The synthetic will take you an easy 6000 miles so adjust your service accordingly.

If you drive about 70 MPH on the highway/freeway that's about what everyone does here in Los Angeles even though certain areas are ok to do 65. I think your fine.

Good luck in your decision.

Durango

i was going about 85 on the way to and from San Diego and i was trying to keep up with traffic :D

To the original poster, i would chose any of the top synthetics from the major oil company's.

Mobil 1
Valvoline Synpower
Pennzoil Platinum
Castrol syntec
Walmart Supertech Synthetic ( very good price )
what ever is cheapest.

would i have to worry about oil leaks when switching to synthetic since this car has a run quite a while with dino oil? (185,000 miles?)

Last edited:
If you call 1-800-ASK-Mobil, they are adamant that switching a high mileage car to synthetic oil will not cause leaks. When my wife and I got married, she owned a 1988 Oldsmobile Delta 88 with around 160K. I changed it to synthetic with no adverse affect on seals. Based on what Mobil says and my own (albeit limited) experience, I believe that the notion that changing to synthetic causes leaks is urban legend.

PYB 5w30 all year round, Purolator classic filter or similar. At the given mileage on the engine we are not going to the moon.

OCI 5k or 6 months whichever comes first.

KNOWN SLUDGER with SHORT TRIPS?

Easy.

ANY OIL changed OFTEN.

Why? Because you NEED to get the water and byproducts OUT. No matter what type of oil you use.

A 6 month OCI would NOT be what I'd suggest PERIOD.

Bill

Five miles is not short. Two miles is.

That engine is a sludge monster. A full synthetic oil changed every 5000 miles or less is a good idea.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Huh?

Quote:
And every other day I drive around 50 miles back and forth combined.
33.gif
Missed that...

Still Known sludger = changing the oil OFTEN.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Huh?

Five miles isn't short distance.

My engine oil is already very warm after two miles. Five miles would have it hot.

My engine oil is already very warm after two miles. Five miles would have it hot.

Your car(s) has oil temp gauge ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Your car(s) has oil temp gauge ?

I have done oil changes before where I have only driven the car for two miles. I have also done oil changes where the car was driven for five miles, so I know the difference.

Also, it varies by engine. On my friend's VW 2.0T, if the engine is operated for about two miles, you can remove the engine oil filler cap and see steam come out.

5 miles in traffic that takes 30 minutes? No, that's long
5 miles on freeway with no traffic that takes 3 minutes? Yes, that's short.

Originally Posted By: dgee
would i have to worry about oil leaks when switching to synthetic since this car has a run quite a while with dino oil? (185,000 miles?)

dgee,

When I had my 89' Camry I did experience a little leak BUT went away after a while. I had practically 250,000 miles on mine before the radiator blew and didn't want to get a new one on top of having a full blown 250K service from the dealership.

The main thing is do you consume any oil??? Well with those miles you have you must be experiencing a little. Maybe not. I had a buddy with a 4Runner that had 300,000 miles and claimed to have NO oil comsumption at all!!!! He religiously took his truck in for a service on time every time!!!! and that was using dino.

My main thoughts are you can't hurt anything by at least trying it.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back