how much hd space for dual booting Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of dual booting Linux on my laptop currently running W7. How much hard disk space should I partition? I was thinking around 10-20 GB. I just put in a 320 GB HD so there's plenty of space if I should use more. I don't really have a practical reason for doing this other than I want to.

I would set aside 15 or 20gb for the OS installation and then another partition roughly double the size of the amount of ram you have for use as a swap partition. So if you had 1gb of ram you set aside a 2gb partition for use as swap. It's like the windows swapfile, just on a completely separate partition.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
I would set aside 15 or 20gb for the OS installation and then another partition roughly double the size of the amount of ram you have for use as a swap partition. So if you had 1gb of ram you set aside a 2gb partition for use as swap. It's like the windows swapfile, just on a completely separate partition.

Yup. A full Gentoo Linux setup on my laptop with KDE and the bells and whistles is taking about 7GB.

I have Ubuntu set up as a VM on my work desktop, I have only 384MB RAM and 4GB disk space assigned to it, works great!

Lately, I've been running Ubuntu 9.10 natively on my laptop and then using Sun's virtualbox (which is free) to create a virtual instance of Windows7 on top of that. I've also got a rarely used virtual XP instance that I need to use from time to time when I need to test Explorer 6's quirks on a consulting client's website. That's been working great for me so far. On my 100gb drive, I give 15gb to Win7 and 10gb to XP. The rest belongs to Ubuntu.

http://www.virtualbox.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back