Group 7 oil filter question????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings to all,
I have been using Wix Gold and Bosch Premium oil filters, which are in partnership with Purelator, and for years and I have been very happy with the results. Personally, I think the Bosch design can give the PureOne a run for the money, in quality.

Here is my situation; an acquaintance is selling a load of Group 7 V4011 filters dirt cheap, which I could use. Hearing that they are made by Purelator, I checked by plugging the V4011 into the Purelator web-site. The site verified this indeed, and it refers to the L24011. Here is my question; does anyone know anything about Group 7 quality? Are they the same as the Purelator standard filters (L24011)? I was told that EconoLube uses these filters. Personally, I like the price quoted to me on these rebranded Purelator filters but without knowing anything about them, makes me a little nervous. This is why I am holding back from purchasing them…… I would appreciate any thoughts... Presently, I have put them on hold pending information concerning their status.

Thanks

I believe these are the same as Proline, Powerflo and even the red filter that AA used to sell. This means that they are a decent filter with either the same amount or slightly less media than regular Purolators. For $2 bucks apiece or less I'd buy them.

V4011 sounds like a Chinese filter number. I just bought a case of V4651 oil filters. That are what I thought were made by Purolator, because of the number. After alot of Investingation. Iam sure they are not made by Purolator. They look really well made and Iam planning on using them in my wifes 4.6 Lincoln. They look like a Purolator and the numbers coincide, but the "V" gives them away.

That crosses to an ST2. You can walk into Wal*Mart anytime and buy the one that you need. I wouldn't buy a whole case of unknowns. St is made in America by an American Company.

I would put that Chinese filter on before I dealt with a E-core. Alot of people may like them, but when I look down in them all I see is a cheap plastic cage, with no protection if that filter sucks together. Dont knock the Chinese filters, really they are well built.

If we remove everything made in China from our homes, and offices we would be phoneless, computerless, and no watchie tv and no clean laundry too boot. I have to agree with Panzerman, Encore filters are not my first choice. Matter of fact Encore aren't second, third, fourth etc.

I am not disputing anyone concerning these Group 7 filters, but here is a paste from a certain web-site....on their site they indicate the results below..... Just for grins, all I typed in was V4011.

Filter Finder Results
V4011
MFG NAME MFG PART PUROLATOR PART DESCRIPTION
GROUP 7 V4011 L24011 Oil

Home | Contact Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use |

Quote:
If we remove everything made in China from our homes, and offices we would be phoneless, computerless, and no watchie tv and no clean laundry too boot.

While this is true today, it was not always the case. I respect your right to state this, as I would suspect you would also say that preventing just such a situation was futile BEFORE this was the case. In my observations it's a consistent philosophical pairing.

Originally Posted By: labman
That crosses to an ST2. You can walk into Wal*Mart anytime and buy the one that you need. I wouldn't buy a whole case of unknowns. St is made in America by an American Company.

+1

Gary Allen, thank you for respecting my rights as I do yours. You depicted, “I respect your right to state this, as I would suspect you would also say that preventing just such a situation was futile BEFORE this was the case. In my observations it's a consistent philosophical pairing.” I don’t know if I would say that or not. I don’t speculate if it would be futile or not, because I deal only with reality and the Genie is out of the bottle. Like Sgt. Joes Friday used to eloquently say on the television episode Drag Net, “Just the Facts”. Like it or not why argue about reality, it is on us… You have a good day sir.

I will buy American any time it is a reasonable choice. I think you can do as well on cars, oil filters, batteries, oil, and many other things buying American. I also think ownership of the company is a factor. The profit on many items is greater than the labor. Also we need to support American engineers and designers.

I live in a fairly small town. My choices are often limited. Many things don't work well buying on line.

I wonder if they make the Option Racing filters I have seen on ebay, which also use V before the number on the filters.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
I wonder if they make the Option Racing filters I have seen on ebay, which also use V before the number on the filters.
Probably the ones I got are Royal in little light blue boxs. The number V4651, coincide with Purolators 24651.

So its not the design or how well made the filters are, its the country of Origin. Funny, because even though I will use a Chinese filter, without regard, I still have not ever bought or even looked at anything but Ford, Chevy and Dodge. Its the same people who despise Chinese products that have a Honda, Kia, Toyota, Hyundi, etc.. In thier driveway. Yes they do make them in America and yes they do employ Americans to build them, but the revenue goes the same place my little Chinese oil filters purchase price goes, ...Overseas.

Greetings Panzerman,

I agree with you; it seems origin is the case. I also found out that Purlolator, {Arvin Meritor}, evidently has a line of filters made in China. The Purolator ML series for motorcycles and it seems that AM is tied in with Group 7, also.

You will love this, last year I bought my wife a 2009 Chevrolet, wanting to buy an AMERICAN product! After the purchase and some research, I have come to find out that the design was from Suzuki, the redesigned engine 3.4L is made at the GM Plant in China, the transaxle is a product from Japan, and it is assembly at GM Canada! To top it all off the other morning I got up and watched my Chinese made American named flat screen television, which is accompanied with a Korean DVD player. While watching my television everyday, I exercise on my Sears, {Chinese made}, exercise bike. To top it all off the other morning, I prepared myself a piece of toast with natural honey that was processed from I believe Virginia, which was surely tasty, but when I was reading the label in fine print it depicted that the honey was imported from Vietnam……I finished it and washed it down with by Brazilian coffee.

Panzerman, I found the follow on a report on the net concerning AM purchasing and quantity, I thought you might appreciate it. Titled: Final Review Report: Oil Filters from the USA
ArvinMeritor provides Thompson a volume discount of __% on Purolator brand automotive product and __% on Purolator brand heavy-duty products. In both cases the qualifying level for these discounts is an order of 500 units or more. A volume discount of ____% is allowed on Group 7 products. Group 7 and Purolator orders can be combined to qualify for the respective discounts. The take up of these discounts was verified from the Thompson invoices.
Pioneer orders over the review period were consistently above the 500 units which would have been required to qualify, had they been a domestic customer. Due allowance has therefore been made at the levels noted above according to brand.

Interesting. Bosch, Mann, and somebody else have a joint venture manufacturing automotive oil filters in America and selling them as Purolators. Somebody else is selling industrial filters under the Purolator name.

Now, is Arvin Meritor, who used to own the other operations, now manufacturing oil filters in China and selling them as Purolators?

Ohhhhhhhh, my head aches! If the made in America Prontos are no longer available, guess I will go back to STP.

Group 7s tends to be a [censored] shoot from my experience. I found a stash of some Group 7s that are about 15 years old and are in excellent condition and I plan on using them. The ones with metal end caps seem to be a little higher quality with even pleat spacing. While the cardboard end caps ones remind of frams with uneven pleat spacing. All of my group 7 boxes have "copyright Purolator Products Inc. Made in USA"

For what its worth v4011 crosses to a wix 51036

here is the skinny on 51036:

Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 4.828
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 18X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=12/26
Burst Pressure-PSI: 325
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.734 2.430 0.226

For what it is worth here is some of the group 7s I have cut open.

V111 [18 x 1.5mm]:

hv8d2v.jpg

V-73 [20 x 1.5mm]:

vpaphl.jpg

V-40 [13/16-16]:

53670i.jpg

V33 [13/16-16]:

16i9ph5.jpg

I would ask if you could cut one open. If it has metal end caps, I would jump on it. If cardboard I would only jump if it was really cheap.

Greetings to All,

Texan4Life , I believe that you are 100% correct. Therefore, regardless of opinion, net sites and beliefs, I decided to buy a hand full of these filters to look for myself. Upon their arrival, I have come to realize that these filters indeed are American made,well-made, heavy duty and Purolator designed. The filter itself displays made in USA logo. Also, like fingerprints the filter uses a plate that mimics Purlator in every detail, to include the seven slots. Even though I haven’t opened one up I am sure that they are Purolator. I too plan on using them without hesitation.

I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. 2nd rate filters with very spotty quality record. I used to work at a quick lube place and all they used was Group 7. It seemed like every 5th filter, there would be something wrong with it that would make me throw it away.

I honestly still do not understand the insanely cheap mentality people here on this board have with something so critical to your car and its longevity.

An excellent filter is what? 4-5 dollars more? If you are hurting that much then perhaps you shouldn't be driving...

Stick with what you know works and works well.

IMHO of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back