Anyone heard of Total engine oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
apparently my dad's sienna was filled with this stuff on his last oil change. Changed it out yesterday with 4k on the oil and it was still YELLOW! my integra/tsx shows dark amber with 3k on it! i know color does not matter, just wanted to point that out.

for those curious what i filled it with:
5.x quarts of 5w-30 Valvoline Synpower w/ Pureone oil filter

prior to this current oil change, the total oil was used at a shop that does maintenance/tuning for ferrari's, porsches, lambos, Bentley, etc.... ever heard of total? is it some high end oil? i assume it is total because of the oil reminder sticker posted on his windshield.

Last edited:
It seems to me Total is a convienience/station store. I wouldn't have a clue who would supply that label, the usual suspects I suppose. WPP, & WLP? West coast, I dunno.

It is very common brand in Europe, French I think. The engine and gear oils are sold here at industrial outlets.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Total is a European oil company, it is usually Factory Filled oil of Ferrari's

That is interesting, didnt Quaker State have a commercial saying they were the official oil of Ferrai?

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Total is a European oil company, it is usually Factory Filled oil of Ferrari's

That is interesting, didnt Quaker State have a commercial saying they were the official oil of Ferrai?

They used to be. Shell Helix was also a Ferrari oil IIRC.

you guys must be wondering why a sienna has total oil in it then....anyone have the product sheet of total 5w-30?

Originally Posted By: calvinnnnnnnnn
you guys must be wondering why a sienna has total oil in it then....anyone have the product sheet of total 5w-30?

If their 5w30 is like their 5w40, there are two or three different kinds. I've seen TOTAL Quartz 9000 5w30 and TOTAL Quartz Ineo MC3 5w30.

Total owns Fina, and here in Bradenton, many repair shops can get Fina 10w30 oil at a low price.

However, I don't know how good it is.

32.gif
Factory fill for Ferrari in Italy is Shell Helix Ultra. Ferrari North America's recommended oil was the Quaker State (whatever the name was) 5W-40 synthetic, but my understanding is that is soon to change with the introduction of the new Pennzoil Ultra that is soon to be released.

Shell has been factory fill for Ferrari for many years. Before that was AGIP, and Italian oil company. As for as I know neither Elf or Total have ever been factory fill oils at Ferrari.

Total is one of the biggest petroleum companies in the world. They have lots of subsidiaries. Fly across either ocean and everyone will have heard of them.
wink.gif

Down in the USVI, most gas stations were esso, and have now been changed to Total. I don't doubt that they are expanding their distribution and name into the continental US by buying up retail gas stations, selling or at least rebranding some products with their logo, etc.

Total syn oil Id be excited about. You can get it but it's tough and $$$. Total conventional oil I wouldnt much think about compared to PYB or others.

Total is one of the biggest oil companies in the world. They're up there with the Shells, Chevrons, and Exxons. I wonder why they're so low key here though

Just an FYI.

World's Largest Refiners

Rank by Company Crude Capacity, Thousand Barrels per Calendar Day

1 Exxon Mobil Corporation 5,632
2 Royal Dutch/Shell (Netherlands) 4,599
3 Sinopec 3,811
4 BP (United Kingdom) 3,328
5 ConocoPhillips 2,696
6 Petroleos de Venezuela.S.A. (Venezuela) 2,678
7 Total 2,655
8 Valero Energy Corporation 2,596
9 China National Petroleum Company (China) 2,440