1st UOA. Ford PSD 2006 6.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, this is my first UOA. The kit came free with the Baton Rouge Industries 15w-40 conventional oil. This is supposed to be some good oil with a heavy duty additive pack. The truck has 94,500 miles on it now and just a few miles over 5000 on this sample. I changed it, and now I'm wondering if I should have. I also added 16oz of Baton Rouge's Industries Lubra Sheen oil conditioner when I put in the oil about 8 months ago. Any info or words of warning would be greatly appreciated!

Chrome...........1
Copper...........1
Iron.............33
Lead.............4
Tin..............1
Aluminum.........0
Silicon..........11
Antimony.........0
Barium...........0
Boron............5
Cadmium..........0
Calcium..........2685
Magnesium........38
Moly.............18
Nickel...........0
Phos.............915
Silver...........0
Sodium...........1
Titanium.........0
Zinc.............1077
Visc 100c........13.3
Water............Neg
Fuel.............Neg
Anti-Freeze......Neg
Soot.............0.1
Oxidation........0.05
Nitration........0.05
Sulfation........0.05

looks fairly good for 5000mi, vis still in 40wt. range, but iron is a little high compared to my 07 6.0, but probably still well within specs(several of my uao's are posted on here)

oil additives are generally frowned upon in the 6.0 powerstroke because of increasing oil viscosity and the injectors generally don't react very well.
i'm now running 10w-30 with a uoa coming shortly

I'm not seeing the "heavy duty" additive pack they speak of...maybe they are adding things we can't see.
Your numbers look pretty good.

Yeah, I've been comparing my numbers to a few others on here. I paid 25 bucks per 5 qts of the oil. My current fill is MC 15w-40 with an 8oz shot of Rev-X for cold weather starts and stiction and I may do another UOA in 5000 miles to compare.

If I don't see anything impressive or startling, I may switch to RTS 5w-40 and be done with it.

Approx how many more miles would it be "OK" to use that oil beyond 5k miles?

As you put more miles on, the vis will likely start to break down.

However, I don't see the great alarm in that issue that others do. I have seen some good UOA wear numbers, even with lower vis fluids, including my neighbors 6.0PSD.

My theory is that the HEUI system simply "prefers" a thinner fluid. If you don't feed it a 30 grade, it will go about creating one for you. But the engine wear does not seem to be affected by the vis reduction in most all cases. Many people deride the PSDs as "shear monsters", and perhaps that's true, but where is the harm if there is no risk of additional wear?

I'd say you could possibly double the OCI, but without a TBN reference, it would be a bit risky to go that far.

This is good oil, but it's not a "magic" oil; nothing really is. All of today's HDEOs seem to perform so well that the difference between them becomes one of cost; what can you find on sale? If you're like me (a bargin shopper), you'll look around for the best price on HDEOs. That means my UOAs will not be as truly informative as they could be, by hopping from brand to brand. But the engine likely could not care less.

Overall, a decent UOA though the iron is a bit high. I don't know anything about the additive you used, so I cannot say if this would have manipulated the Fe or not. Still - I see nothing to panic about. Just keep an eye on the Fe; hopefully it will trend down.

Last edited:
Thank you for chiming in Mr. Dnewton, I was hoping you would.

I was wondering myself where the TBN result was. The new oil has a TBN of 12 and I would really like to know what it was in the sample sent in.

Here is a link to the oil- http://www.batonrougeindustries.com/images/7 L-605 15W40.pdf

Here is a link to the oil conditioner- http://www.batonrougeindustries.com/images/4 L-618.pdf

Would you mind glancing at those 2 products and giving me your personal advice on them?

I will MORE THAN LIKELY stick with MC 15w-40 and MC filters for 5k intervals with no more additives. I am definitely a bargain shopper.

I can't find any HDEO 10w-30 around me down here in Baton Rouge. I would definitely give the NEW Rotella a try, but I can't find it in my area.

Those products look decent.

Being in LA, I really don't see any need for a 10w-30 in your PSD. 15w-40 will work fine. I presume you've got a Wallyworld nearby; just pick up some 15w-40 MC in jugs and you'll be fine, as it's a very good value for the money. Convenience and price make any well-performing oil hard to turn down!

Nothing wrong with 5k mile OCIs. It's very likely you could go farther than that with the MC. Just realize two things; your oil will likely shear down, and yet it likely won't affect the wear of your engine. I would think you'd be safe to 7.5k miles without a UOA. I you chose, you could UOA at 7.5k and push to 10k?

Sometimes (and I'm just as bad as the next guy ...) it's hard to resist the "call of the wrench". The desire to tinker and OCI can be overwhelming. If 5k miles OCIs are your thing, then just use any brand you can find that meets CI-4+ or CJ-4, with the lowest price. The PSD will never know the difference for such as short OCI.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Sometimes (and I'm just as bad as the next guy ...) it's hard to resist the "call of the wrench". The desire to tinker and OCI can be overwhelming.

Yes it sure is. I'm not sure why, though.

I love "tinkering" with the car. (as best I can). Cleaning, checking/filling fluids, checking lights, futzing with the new airbox and filter. Buying and installing upgraded bits (as skills/tools allow)

I just realized that this product is the same one of the other thread you started in HDEO.

Bottom line is that the oil seems to be doing a decent job. But if this is the stuff that's $30/5 qrts, I think it's not getting you the value for your money, unless you s-t-r-e-t-c-h out the OCI. You can get just as good wear protection from one of the big three (Delo, Delvac, Rotella) conventional oil for a LOT less $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back