Harbor Freight gas engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flyer from HF shows a 5.5hp, vertical shaft, EPA certtified lawn mower use only engine for $100. I live in S. MS and before Katrina Briggs carb overhaul was $50 now $150. Anyone used or have any comments about these? They "LOOK OKAY"!! Thanks. Dan

I would think the only problem there might be is if you should need repair parts, other then a plug. If your thinking of replacing a motor you already have, you might do better buying a used one for $50 and have some free spare parts. just my 2 cents.,,

The ones I see here in No. Indiana Amish country are a copy of one of the Honda Engines and the locals claim some if not all parts interchange. This is what I here have never tried it tho. Bought one of the hor. shafts as a replacement on a roto tiller and its worked ok for a couple years. For $100/$150 bucks why fix it.

While surfing the web trying to find what NGK spark plug fit my
Steele 6.5hp generator, I found that most refer to the China made Honda clones as Chonda engines

Quote:
New 6.5hp Engine and the 11hp that looks identical to the Honda Engine but is Made in China. (we refer to them as Chonda) Found on many new generators like McCulloch, Jiang Dong, Power Wise, others found at Pep-boys, NAPA, and other automotive parts stores.

I have a HF 11HP generator with over 1000 hours with no oil burn or engine knocks. I had to replace the muffler once and changed the spark plug for safe measure. The replacement muffler is for a Honda GX340 and bolted right up. The kids off road go-kart is 2 years old with about 200 very hard hours on it's 6.5HP HF engine and still running strong. That 5.5 HP HF engine you are looking at states aluminum shaft, that is a mis print. It is a steel shaft. I repowered a lawnmower with that 5.5 engine a few years ago and the box said aluminum shaft yet it was steel. Others I know who have used this engine said the same thing.

Honestly I haven't heard much bad about these new chinese engines. I don't know about the verticals, but the horizontal ones are usually an exact copy of a Honda and parts interchange.

With that said; however, you can buy a brand new Briggs and Stratton 6.5hp or so lawnmower engine on ebay for about 100 bucks. Made in America with an enourmous parts supplier network to back it up.

This is why I never bother to take very good care of my lanwmower. I just pop a new Briggs on there every few years. It's easier than cleaning the carb.
lol.gif

[With that said; however, you can buy a brand new Briggs and Stratton 6.5hp or so lawnmower engine on ebay for about 100 bucks. Made in America with an enourmous parts supplier network to back it up ]

Aren't most of the small B&S engines made in Mexico ?

Mexican assembled products are far more likely to contain American made materials than Chinese ones. For years, I made my living in a plant that much of our production went to Mexico and came back as automotive wiring harnesses.

Originally Posted By: labman
Mexican assembled products are far more likely to contain American made materials than Chinese ones. For years, I made my living in a plant that much of our production went to Mexico and came back as automotive wiring harnesses.

As long as we are exporting our jobs, exporting them to Mexico has some benefit in reducing illegal immigration and increases the stability of Mexico. A job exported to China is just one less job here.

Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey

This is why I never bother to take very good care of my lanwmower. I just pop a new Briggs on there every few years. It's easier than cleaning the carb.
lol.gif

I hope you're selling your used engines to someone else instead of letting them go to waste.
Those Briggs motors are capable of lasting a couple decades.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: labman

As long as we are exporting our jobs, exporting them to Mexico has some benefit in reducing illegal immigration and increases the stability of Mexico. A job exported to China is just one less job here.

Never thought of it that way................

I have hundreds of HF tools, etc. All I can say is, anything that is 'Mission Critical", I would not use HF branded products.

That said, for the hobbiest, the HF tools and engines are fine.

I chose the B&S Generator after I read an RV site comments on HF Generators.

Last year we bought a pressure washer made in China.It has a Comet 3600 PSI pump made in Italy and a 12 HP Honda motor.
During last year ice storm we bought a Generator in a pinch from HD made in China