Picked up a pretty sweet Craftsman tool set

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed the tool time forum today lol.

Anyway, a few weeks back Sears was having a sale on their tool sets. I picked up this Craftsman mechanic's tool set for 111.99$CDN, regular 275.99$CDN :

img1771j.jpg

img1770a.jpg

That is nice! The good thing about it is that all the tools are actually useable too! A lot of times they advertise these and throw in [censored] no one would ever use.

60% off the regular price...I couldn't pass that up.

From the look of the tools included, they are all top quality. Plus they are backed by a lifetime warranty which is cool.

I found their tools to be very good. The few that I broke, because of abuse were replaced with no questions asked. A 1/2" wood chisel comes to mind. I used it for metal and destroyed it. I also put a cheater bar on a 1/4" drive ratchet, because I was to lazy to get the longer breaker bar out of the toolbox I needed for the job. I like their tools and their policy to their employees who are deployed in the Military. Good on Sears!

I have a couple of similar sets. The tools are great....the plastic case is aggravating. Those snap-down latches might last a year if you are lucky.

Nice set!!! :!I have family members who work for Sears so I get their employee 10% discount on all tools. I have the 18 drawer rolling tool chest set with the ball bearing drawer slides. The base & top cabinet were on sale with the middle one for free about 10 years ago for $199. If you watch Sears closely after the Christmas holiday each year you will find really good deals on tools. I have almost collected the entire 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 drive sets. My 18 drawers are completely full and I will need another chest in a year or two. All lifetime guaranteed and Sears stands 100% behind the guarantee with no questions asked.
01.gif

Originally Posted By: RageOfFury
60% off the regular price...I couldn't pass that up.

From the look of the tools included, they are all top quality. Plus they are backed by a lifetime warranty which is cool.

Indeed. Craftsman tools are excellent, and priced right. You did well, and I'm envious.

My friend recently bought some Crescent-brand tools (a similar set for about $100 USD at Costco) that look quite good, and also carry a lifetime warranty, but they're made in Taiwan and one must mail, pre-paid, the broken tools back to Crescent's office in the US. I suspect the cost of mailing any tool, even a small socket, would exceed its value, making the warranty not very useful.

Craftsman, on the other hand, can be exchanged at any Sears, K-Mart, or other Sears-owned company that sells Craftsman tools. Much more convenient.

I bought quite a few tools from the Sears here when they had their going-out-of-business sale last year. Seems like I get a lot more Craftsman Club fliers now that there's no Sears. The Sears Auto Center is still here.

Perfect story about Sears Tool warranty. About 10yrs. ago, I was a Gospel Quartet singer. We traveled extensively across the United States. Our bus, an Eagle 1991 Entertainer's Coach with a 6V92 Detroit Diesel, broke 9 of the 10 studs coming out of the hub on the Dual axle near Little Rock, Arkansas. We had the studs repaired and came on home. On later inspection we found the other side studs were bad also. We used a 3/4 inch deep well craftsman socket, liquid wrench, and a sledge hammer to put, press, in new studs(lugs) into the hub, the socket protected the threads on the studs. When we finished with the job, we had beat the socket so hard that it looked like a mushroom cloud on the end where the ratchet attaches. I took the socket back to Sears, thinking they would say they couldn't replace it do to misuse. They sale clerk looked at it and said to me that he HAD to have this socket to show folks what these tools could handle. He gave me a new socket and a coupon for 25% off my next Craftsman purchase. I've got other named tools but I really do like Craftsman.

Craftsman hand tools are few of the best items that Sears had been selling for many many years. I also bought many home appliances from Sears too, I like Sears better than Best Buy.

When I was a teenager my beginner set was a craftsman mechanics tools et with 300 peices. Back then it was 199. I saved up my money and bought it. Still use them today, even though I use more snap-on than anything else now but craftsman is awsome tool for the average and even pro.

And they are still made in the good ol' US of A

Craftsman tools are good. What makes them better is the ease in which you return them. I had a Sanppy ratchet that broke. I am not a mechanic so when I approached a tool van, the salesman balked at giving me another one. I had to contact Snapon, return mine to them, and they mailed me a new one. Hassle. At Harbor Frieght, you do the same, walkin, return tool, walk out. Time is money, and ease of return is worth volumes. No I dont refit pressure lines on the Space Shuttle or torque down the arms of a million dollar wind farm fan. I don't need a triple chromed, oil quenched, hand forged magnesium plier set, I just like cheap dependable and easy.

I was at Sears today and saw they had a 260 piece tool set in a big plastic tool box on sale for $199. It had good tools in it too. I am tempted to buy it even though I have the tools all ready.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I was at Sears today and saw they had a 260 piece tool set in a big plastic tool box on sale for $199. It had good tools in it too. I am tempted to buy it even though I have the tools all ready.

I picked up the 260 piece for $150. Sadly I have not used it yet. I've been getting by with my 13 piece set in my car.

My 260 set was missing a piece and one of the sockets was damaged. Sears replaced both no questions asked. Guy didn't even want to see the receipt to make sure it was recently purchased.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back