Okay, I'm not getting these tires.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, for the second time this week, I've seen a tire blowout.

An Impala in front of me suddenly just lost it on the freeway. Somehow, he was able to save the car and get it to the side of the road (backwards, mind you). So I pulled over along with another guy to help him out.

Not even two weeks ago, he put a new set of tires on- Primewells. Had he to go cheap and replace the OEMs GYs at the local Firestone dealer.

Needless to say, he was pretty unhappy. I told him of a coupe of places he could get better tires cheap(er) as we helped him out.

After watching an accord (late 90s) have one blow out on the front, and end up on a guy's lawn, I know for sure I won't be getting these.

I'm not sure what what GT makes these tire out of, but whatever it is, it's can't be good....

Talked to my tire guy (long time manager for Tires Plus-Bridgestone owned company)-he assured me that Primewell/GT was possibly the WORST tire you could put on a vehicle, PERIOD!!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Talked to my tire guy (long time manager for Tires Plus-Bridgestone owned company)-he assured me that Primewell/GT was possibly the WORST tire you could put on a vehicle, PERIOD!!

What's interesting is that they handle decent for a cheap tire..Co worker has a set at work. But after this, I'm betting not too much longer....

I have had Goodyears and Nankangs blow out, long before they were wore out for no real apparent reason. You can tell if they were run low on air when you break the remants of a tire off the wheel. The Nankang, completely shredded, Right front tire, it happen on Route 95 at about 75. Just remmember when a tire blows out dont touch anything just let the vehicle de accelerate and slow to the edge of the road, too many people slam on the brakes in a hurry to stop and thats when the trouble starts. I looked at cheap tires to save a buck, but ended up buying Bridgestone Potenza's, I was most tempted by the Westlake tires though, they did look like a really nice cheap tire, I looked at the Primewells, they looked like garbage on the rack.

I think the probelm is the shops often underinflate the tires and as a result a highway driving causes the tire sidewall to overheat and blow out...
Many people dont check their tire pressure after the car has been at a tire shop so that can be part of the reason too.

I had my tires installed at tirerack they were 245/40/18s and on the way home the car felt squishy, so when I got home 160mi later, I checked teh tires, and they were all between 22 and 26psi...

Normal recommended PSI is 35-37 so that could have damaged my tires for sure!

Your life rides on your tires, why would you cheap out on them to save a few bucks?

Of course..Primewells may be the perfect choice for the Mother-in-Laws car....
thumbsup2.gif

Why I always recommend Michelins......you may find a cheaper tire, maybe even some that score better in some areas, but the construction of Michelins is second to none- and worth the few extra dollars spent

And with these ridiculous size tire fitting that we see on most every car, this will become more and more prevalent. The average driver doesn't want to spend the $ it takes to buy the large tires most cars have these days.

Thats what Bridgestones I got G-0009s . I hope they dont blow out, they discontinued them and if I blow one out they will replace it but Il have mixed tires on the car. Ive had bad luck with Michelins. I bought a brand new Mercury Couger in 1990 and it came with Michelins and they were dangerous on wet roads, my wife wouldnt even drive it, because she was afraid of them in the rain. I had other experiences with Michelins not handling wet conditions. Big truck tires too, they will re-cap 6 times, because of the solid conscruction, but new they were awful on wet roads, they would just slide, Id take a blow out over hydroplaning any day.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I bought a brand new Mercury Couger in 1990 and it came with Michelins and they were dangerous on wet roads, my wife wouldnt even drive it, because she was afraid of them in the rain.

That would have been the Michelin LX1. My 1989 Cougar came new with Firestone FR480's. The FR480's were good enough that I actually put a second set of them on.... but not a third set.

When Firestone started having their problems, that was enough for me.

I had another Cougar owner give me a really good pair of LX1's, but I never used them. Now I know why he gave them to me.

Quote:
And with these ridiculous size tire fitting that we see on most every car, this will become more and more prevalent. The average driver doesn't want to spend the $ it takes to buy the large tires most cars have these days.

A good 90% of the cars and trucks/SUV built today will do just fine with 15 or 16 inch wheels/tires.
thumbsup2.gif

But I also understand some soccer moms need 19" wheels on their SUV to take the kids to school and go grocery shopping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Very true...

IF I had to go cheap, I'd go Kelly Explorers. I've always had great tires from them.

My wife's Kelly Nav Golds continue to take nails, and spilt them back out! Love those tires!

Originally Posted By: PT1
Of course..Primewells may be the perfect choice for the Mother-in-Laws car....
thumbsup2.gif

28.gif

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
Your life rides on your tires, why would you cheap out on them to save a few bucks?

I think it's hard for a lot of people because prices doesn't always indicate quality. Are Goodyear or Firestone necessarily better than Toyo, Kelly, Cooper, Kumho, etc. because they typically cost more?

It's so hard to even know what a name brand tire is now-a-days, since a few companies own so many different makes, and so much is outsourced to the third world.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

You see a lot of big-wheel cars around here (Escalades with 22s, Camrys with 20s, etc) and they've got the cheapest set of rubber on there they could find. I don't even recognize the brand usually, but they're always universally made in China. I know the set of 4 tires didn't cost as much as ONE of the wheels.

Some people just make their own luck, ya know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back