Diesel Volkswagon Dealer Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have an '09 TDI sportwagen, and I did the first oil change myself. I have had the car over to the dealer for a few issues, and I've been less than impressed. Even the oil leak from the intercooler piping is "normal". There are more "dealer overfilled or used the wrong oil" threads on VW forums than you can count.

I purchased 4L of Castrol SLX Professional LL3 and filter from the dealer. However, they sold me a crush washer that did not work well. I later read in the service manual, that the drain plug should be replaced at each oil change since it has a steel, captured washer (not an aluminum replaceable one). There are internet vendors out there that sell oil service kits that come with everything you need.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boatowner
I bought the Mobil 1 5w-30 ESP at Pep Boys in Puyallup. It isn't widely available, but it can be found. Price was decent also, considering. It is a 507 approved oil usable is both new TDIs and my PD.

I doubt a dealership would use an off the shelf or bulk 5w-30 in a TDI. Even the worst of them should know better.

It's common practice. I had to beat my VW service adviser about the head and shoulders for few minutes before he agreed to use the correct oil. That was the first and last time my TDI went to the dealer for service.

A general rule of thumb is that just because it's done at a dealer doesn't mean it's being done right. Some dealers do good and some, well, make Jiffy Lube techs look like Master Mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back