97 Camaro Z28 LT1 -My first ever oil analysis -GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
GM LT-1 5.7L 350 CID V-8 Oil used: Castrol Syntec 0W/30 (German)
Oil use interval: 2,183 miles
Mileage on engine: 95,764 miles

BLACKSTONE
CHRIS: We’re happy to report no excess bearing wear or anti-freeze was found in the first sample from
your engine, so it looks like the previous owner took good care of it. Universal averages show typical wear
levels for this type of engine after about 3,400 miles on the oil. Bearing wear is seen at copper, lead, and tin.
Aluminum and chrome were slightly above average and this could be related to the ticking sound you
mentioned, though at these levels, they aren't enough to worry about. No fuel dilution was found. Try going
to ~4k miles on the next oil.

Aluminum: 5 Universal Average:4
Chromium: 2 1
Iron: 13 21
Copper: 3 6
Lead: 3 9
Tin: 1 2

Moly: 6 64
Nickel: 1 1
Manganese:0 1
Silver: 0 0
Titanium: 0 0
Potassium: 0 1
Boron: 8 50
Silicon:15 21
Sodium: 7 16
Calcium: 1721 2131
Magnesium: 504 198
Phosphorus: 836 723
Zinc: 1081 862
Barium:0 0

SUS VIS@210: 65.3 59-68
Cst VIS@100C: 11.68 9.9-12.7
Flashpoint in F: 410 >365
Fuel%: Antifreeze%: 0.0 0.0
Water%: 0.0 0.0
Insolubles%: 0.3
I changed it with so little miles because I started hearing a ticking at idle right after switching to GC. Any ideas why the aluminum and chrome are a little high? I've switched to Mobil 1 HM 10w30 and the tick is mostly gone.

I'd have to think that 3+or- is possible reading miscalculation, or noise as some like to call it.

Looks like a great uoa!

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Not sure it looks so great for a 2,200 mile oil change

Don't get him worried, that engine has a long, great running life ahead of it.

Originally Posted By: 97autoz28
Any ideas why the aluminum and chrome are a little high?

Aluminum and chrome are not high, that is within the "noise level" of the test. I only wish my LT1 had wear numbers like yours.

A Subaru master tech told me thurs ( when I took my wifes forester for state inspection)that Fuji does not recommend synthetic oil due to "poor lubrication management on small motions" - whatever that means. This guy is a subaru engine master and heard this right from corporate. I have been trying to get my head around his comment - i would prefer to hear WHAT component is wearing and how it is worn and what kind of oiling the component gets. My engines seem to have more little ticks and tap noises with real PAO synthetic than dino, but tend to have more consistent ring and piston cleaning and lubrication ( perceived consistent cyl power balance) than most GF4 dino oils.

Originally Posted By: sidney004
Originally Posted By: 97autoz28
Any ideas why the aluminum and chrome are a little high?

Aluminum and chrome are not high, that is within the "noise level" of the test. I only wish my LT1 had wear numbers like yours.

Well that makes me feel better. I had orginally worried the ticking noises I heard was a wrist pin(1 shop said so) or something seriously wrong in the engine. I wanted to do a few UOAs before I go putting money into it fixing other things up on it. Since it needs new motor mounts among other things 13 year old cars need.

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
Wear metal accumulation and oil degradation are not linear. You have 5 ppm of aluminum now but in another 3k miles it may still be 5 ppm.

Yeah. Fe appears to be the only one that tracks with mileage. Others seem to be more of a "maintained" level. As though they are falling out routinely and being replaced. Double digit Al, Pb, and Chrome are always flagged regardless of mileage. Single digit in many cases. Copper too, but some engines shed the stuff like dandruff from infancy.

Hmm that is good to know. After hearing that ticking/clicking noise I was expecting a bad UOA. So I'm pretty surprised to see good wear numbers. The 0.0 antifreeze was a relief since I wondered if the headgaskets might have had slight leakage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back