Opinions on Castrol Edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently running edge 10w60 and so far its excellent after 2000k's. Excellent oil. Syntec was phased out in Australia, Edge is the new Syntec R and this is how its marketed here.

Last edited:
Just buy m1 oil and forget the rest, somedays im hauling 2000 pounds in my van and the next 20 pounds year around. If u wanna see what ur van can do,,become a courier,,no grocery store run here,,one day 300 miles, the next 2000 miles, there is no , no room for [censored] oils here..................roool onnnnnnn

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Back on topic. IMO, Edge is one of the most horribly mismanaged new oil products in a long time. As the bulk of street engines are moving to 20 wt oils as the primary choice for normal lubrication, Castrol introduces a new, premium product -- that is not available in any 20 wt variant. Brilliant market strategy. . .

Edge is a very, veery thin 30-weight oil (9.8 cst@100C), so it will work fine in 20-weight applications.

Plus, it's an oil for the aftermarket, where a lot of vehicles still call for 30-weights. It'll get its biggest market there.

I wouldn't use a thin 30-weight in a turbo at all, especially a Subie. They just seem to like a slightly heavier oil - GC is as thin as I'd go.

Back on topic. IMO, Edge is one of the most horribly mismanaged new oil products in a long time. As the bulk of street engines are moving to 20 wt oils as the primary choice for normal lubrication, Castrol introduces a new, premium product -- that is not available in any 20 wt variant. Brilliant market strategy. . .

Exactly. While most of us on Bitog will take the time and check the specs, then see it is a thin 30 grade and might work well in 20 grade apps, Castrol dropped the ball. The change is toward 20 grade oils, they should make it in a 20 grade for the guy who wants to follow mfg specs, and doesn't look up the specs on the oil. Maybe they will get it out on the shelves in a 20 grade and soon.

The other thing I don't understand is why Pennzoil who actually makes PP in 0W20 isn't pushing to get it into retail locations. I've never seen it in any stores. Got to hand it to XOM, they get their products to market, and FAST!

Got to agree.

Not to mention the premium price.
And the lowbrow ad campaign.
(Not a good combo, IMO.)
Nor were (AFAIK) any 'special' mixes offered. A Euro spec xW-40 Edge might have sold well to the Merc/Beemer/VW crowd.

It's no wonder the stuff has failed to move.
Put the Great Monkeys in charge of promotion, and smack the current Pointy-Haired fool silly with that dipstick!

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
Maybe I am a little late with this observation but here it goes anyway. It has not been that long ago(for those of you that have been here a while)that Castrol had it's sack handed to them for not making a "true" synthetic. I do not include the GC in the equasion because it is hit& miss as far as avalibility. Now we have the Edge product that is by all accounts a "real" synthetic and many are complaining about the price. Did you expect them to give it away? Yes, it's in the range of boutique oils but perhaps it cost just as much to produce.
I suppose what I am saying is that if you want group 4 performance at hydrocracked prices Edge,Amsoil,Royal Purple,Redline, are all off the list. Perhaps that's why I like Schaeffer oils. They offer a very good VALUE. PP is a good value too. As a matter of fact, I think for the majority of folks that are not running equipment or fleets there is no advantage at all in PAO based lubricants. I have seen way too many superb wear results from the group3 and even the group2+ oils and they can take the heat by the way if they are formulated correctly.
Castrol Edge(I think)is a marketing experiment done by Castrol just to see if many of the nuts that sent them dirty e-mails about their Syntec formulations would be willing to pay for what the Syntec was not: A full PAO with a splash of esters. I'm thinking it ain't gonna move in sufficient quantities to warrant long-term production. Or maybe my meds are just out of whack and I just need to hear my AR run in full-auto for a while...

So is Edge better than GC?

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
It MAY have a better base stock than Syntec but the Syntec (and others) additive pack walks all over the Edge.

As revealed by current UOA technology. The real question is, how outdated is the set of parameters for current UOA moving forward?

My point is, just because the UOA isn't showing a certain add, that doesn't mean another add thats better isnt present. Just that the UOA isnt looking for it.

They're not really for the same application.

GC is one of the thickest 30 weights while EDGE is one of the thinnest.

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
Originally Posted By: TAP
Right, it appears that US Edge is a Grp III with some PAO added to it per their web site. Based on the specs for the European version of Edge, it looks like they're a full grp IV. And the European market gets more grades than we do as well.

Any validation for that claim?

Look at the MSDS for Castrol Edge at the Castrol website.

It says base oil - highly refined 80-85%

I couldnt pass up the 10 dollar rebate on the 5 qt. Paid 16.50...I'll dump it in the Blazer
21.gif

The 5W-30 Edge we get here (down under) is made by BP-owned AsPac Lubricants (Malaysia). Is this the same as the North American branded product?
front
back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back