Which vehicle year is safe from EMP attacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the process of acquiring a vehicle that can withstand an EMP attack. I know it need to stick with carburetor fuel system but not sure about the year. Also, I like to know if it is easy to rebuilt one or is it cost effective to have one rebuilt professionally? If the later, please point me to the right direction.

I probably stick with either a truck or SUV; however, I wouldn't rule out a nice station wagon or even car. It seems though that old cars are just as heavy as the SUV or trucks so I may be better off with something that I can use to tow or go off-road.

Thanks.

About any mercedes diesels up till say 87 i think? they use a vacuum controlled injector pump no electronic control, and very simple starter setup.. not to mention heavy steel and sound proofing. Also u have to think about fuel if the worst does happen your much likely to find diesel or veg. oil u can make do with and heck used motor oil would work in a pinch course u'd destroy the engine but if your talking dooms day here..

Are we a little
27.gif
?

A diesel with mechanical fuel injection. They require no electricity to stay running.

According to the short lived tv show Whoops! a Volvo is the only vehicle that will survive nuclear holocaust.

If it has points and a condensor in the igntion system it wil be uneffected by EMP. Few vehicles after 1975 had points, but the distributor/points could be swapped for quite a few years afterwards.

I agree, it would be nice to have a nice running car after a nuclear attack that had just killed me. OK, tell me again...
why????

In our Military Testing, we expect all our electronics to survive 600 roentgens, easily double a fatal dose.
The pilot will still complete his mission before he dies but
why do you want your car to run after you are dead. Perhaps for the funeral procession??

If you really want it to run for more than an hour or so it better have a old relay type voltage regulator regulating the alternator field instead of a solid state regulator.

I would put a Hurricane coming up the coast of Virginia and smashing DC ahead of the liklihood of an EMP attack.

Supposedly EMP weapons can be made small, like briefcase sized, but have a relatively short range.

I know a guy who worked with Davy Crockets, a tripod mounted bazooka that fired a small tactical nuke. According to him If you are a few miles (5+) away from the majority of ordinance out there you will live quite a long time, if you are indoors and not looking directly at it, at the time of the blast.

You will have more of an issue with survival due to competition with the rest of your species at that point. Humans are freaking animals.

A friend of mine has been buying Ford trucks with IDI's as well as food, guns and ammo in preparation for an EMP attack and zombie invasion, and no im not kidding. he wants to put a minefield around his house as well.

Wow, this is for the advanced class. I agree with previously mentioned, in the event of an EMP attack you will have more to worry about than a car.

anything with an old 2 stroke detroit diesel, will run with out electrical once started,there are tons of old motorcoaches around with them,super simple engine and will run on all kinds of fuel, get one and convert it into a command center!
24.gif

Originally Posted By: fsskier

I agree, it would be nice to have a nice running car after a nuclear attack that had just killed me. OK, tell me again...
why????

The most effective EMP attack involves a nuke being exploded at high altitude, in order to have the pulse affect the largest possible area. In this scenario, no one would be killed on the ground during the attack.

DC is already a parking nightmare and the beltways around it are a driving nightmare. How can it get any better when 99% of the cars will be disabled? There'll also be some rogue paramilitary types with access to the gov't vehicles roaming around. I'd get a dirt bike and ride the train tracks out of town.

Read the part of Stephen King's "The Stand" where they're on a deserted highway full of cars and they have to roll start one because all the batteries are dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back