NTZ Bypass Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several of these on ebay. Seller claims to have 500+ of them.
Most are selling for
The canister is G26. The media is p26x(88mmX280mm) and is rated at .5micron. Seller stated canister media is the size of a paper towel roll. Its a pretty big filter, possibly as big as the '750' sized filters.

Looks like a screaming deal. I think he got hip and stopped listing them in $0.99 starting bids. Looks like $60 w/shipping is the floor on this. Still not bad if you can find or adapt media for it. I'd add one to the collection if I had more spare change.

The offered filter housing is obsolete. The newer ones are the "F" series. This is the "G" series. I'm sure the G's cost almost as much as the F's when they were the current offering ..and that, I'm sure, was expen$ive.

I was thinking of picking one up to try it but the guy just jacked the price up. Seems like they may have discontinued the elements as well.

With a dozen elements, you could go a decade.
I'd also wager that the 'paper towel' re-wrapping trick might be good enough for an economical media replacement. Its just a housing and you could be very creative with the media.

If they only had an element/housing 1/2 as big!

http://www.kramp.com/images/Details/P26X.jpg

I bought two of those filters and 3 cases of elements. Each for $10 less than the offering price. The shipping stayed firm at $20. Heck of a deal. $180 bucks for more than a decade of filters and filter bodies (two).

Wow, I can hardly wait for the results!!

I'm going to run a Perma-Cool Sandwich system and see how we'll do combined with a dual Curcuit cooling system for both oil and trans filtering.

Now I just need a full flow oil filter. Been running PureOne Filters but I think I could use a higher flow filter now. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited:
What on? You could probably use one of the racing filters. It should catch any real chunks. The bypass filter should take care of the rest. They're sieves, but you're not in your average scenario.

Regular filters will probably load to some terminal point. You would already be filtering the finer stuff that would otherwise continue to be captured by the full flow as it loses pores to the bigger particles.

That's how I reason it on the short thought.

Very good Gary. So, any suggestions on actual filters? 5.7 liter GM engine. Tows a lot.

Lots of Race filters.

Thanks,

T

Last edited:
Again, it's not recommended, but your other filtration system should keep things in check.

The Permacool sandwich will keep a constant 2PSID across the bypass filter. That will produce a variable flow as viscosity lowers as the oil warms.

Part Number: 51060R
UPC Number: 765809129269
Principal Application: Racing Applications Only
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 5.170
Outer Diameter Top: 3.600
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 13/16-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Max Flow Rate: 28 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 61

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 3.444 3.100 0.260

An alternative to the racing filter, you can just go bigger. The end result should be the same. This has to have decent holding capacity beyond standard.

Part Number: 51794
UPC Number: 765809507944
Principal Application:
All Applications
Style: Master Pack
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 7.822
Outer Diameter Top: 3.674
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 13/16-16
Burst Pressure-PSI: 270
Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 3.444 3.100 0.260

Gary, I've been looking at oversized full flow filters and came across a lot of Fleetguard LF692 at $6.55 each.

Would they be good enough? The price is excellent and it seems to cross reference with the Wix 51794 which is about double the price.

Fleetguard are very good filters, are they not? This is one of their non-stratapore filters. Would the flow be similar to the Wix? I don't care about the ADBV, there is one built into the engine. Besides, it sits vertically.

Also, what about the Hasting LF226 (or the Baldwin B7)? Both seem about the same as either the Fleetguard and the Wix. I've looked at the Donaldsons too. I'm more interested in the best flow rate of any of these. I'll get my fine filtering from the NTZ. I want to keep my oil pressure up as much as possible.

Fleetguard has an excellent reputation. Seems like a very good price too.

Thoughts?

Also, you mentioned above "not recommended", what's not recommended...the racing filter? Is there a better "Sandwich" to purchase for these GM big blocks? The Permacool seems to really fit the bill perfectly.

Appreciated!!

T

Quote:
Gary, I've been looking at oversized full flow filters and came across a lot of Fleetguard LF692 at $6.55 each.

Would they be good enough? The price is excellent and it seems to cross reference with the Wix 51794 which is about double the price.

It should work fine. ..and that is a good price. Fleetfilter's price is $7.60 ..and they're giving them away at that price.

Quote:
Fleetguard are very good filters, are they not?

They're not in as widespread distribution as some brands, but they're considered a quality offering ..stratapore or not. Flow potential is not usually a problem to ponder. This is especially true with a filter that is about 150% of the surface area as the standard size.

I would think that most offerings from most filter man's would be comparable here (exception w/Fram probably). Donaldson does offer this big filter in the SYNTEQ (the shorter one they do).

Again, this should last a very long time from a loading standpoint.

Oh, the racing filter is not recommended for longer term street use. This is due to the course nature of the media. It's a rock catcher.

Chevy's, with their in block bypass valve make both a good safety and a minor liability. If the whole circuit is bypassed at something like 7-11 PSID, which on the surface is the same as most common oil filters, but the difference is that the oil in any other app just bypasses the media in the filter can, while in the chevy it bypasses the entire filter and, in your case, the sandwich/NTZ as well.

Now you can defeat this mechanism, and with the bigger filter I would have no worries about any issues of media collapse, but then you've got only the Permacool poppet relief for full flow operation. This is usually more than enough for most engines. Yes, as much as it looks unlikely, that little (it's bigger than you think if seen in 3 dimensions ) port handles the entire flow in most engines (also keep in mind that it's not like a pipe that chokes down for its entire length ). If, however, your oil pump is of higher volume, you may need to drill a VERY VERY VERY small hole in the Permacool sandwich. Repeat: A VERY VERY VERY VERY small hole if you see pressure affected by the setup IF the in block bypass is defeated.

Edit: Let me explain that a little more.

In the normal Permacool sandwich deal (when used as a feed for a bypass filter), the flow must pass through the Permacool relief valve and then goes to the filter where the filter's bypass valve works as intended. The poppet relief will attempt to manage 2PSID across the filter to the limits of it's capability ..which is usually ample.

In a Chevy (or other GM) the engine flow will see the entire ensemble as the filter.

Not too much of an issue of merit from a flow standpoint. It's only an issue of variable filtration when the in block bypass opens. Most of the time the whole setup will produce about 2.xxxxx PSID which is well within the in block bypass's range. Higher volume oil pumps could affect this, but not from a flow standpoint, just a filtration standpoint.

Excellent information and thank you Gary. I ordered the Fleetguard filters. I've read your post several times to make sure I understand. So in total, the Permacool fixture (and the new filter) should amount to a 2 PSI drop in oil pressure.

I now use PureONE filters and I believe they're affect upon the oil pressure is greater than that. Am I hearing and understanding you correctly?

Should I even concern myself with such a matter?

Thanks again for your opinion and input.

Regards,

T

Depending on where your sender is, it will either read the same or 2psi higher. This assumes that your oil pump is out of relief (not at peak pressure).

When your oil pump isn't in relief, the filter can not change flow. Since the flow is the same, the pressure downstream of the filter must be the same (at whatever that pressure would be at that flow rate - at that visc). If the filter presents any "pressure drop", it's really an elevation upstream of the filter. Up to the point where the pump reaches a pressure limit and starts to shunt flow back to the pan or suction side of the pump.

This assumes that your pump is of typical mechanical efficiency.

If you see reduced pressure due to a change in filters, you're either at the relief threshold, or your pump leaks (usually at lower speeds) enough to show a difference. This could be part of the design characteristics ..or it could be worn. The test I use to determine either is if the same characteristics are wide spread across all units. When someone reports better pressure with one filter over another, and thousands of other units don't, I tend to lean towards the worn pump theory.

..but ..and assuming no relief event is in progress ..and the pump is of typical efficiency, most filters are next to invisible under most conditions. Conditions and restrictions apply and there are always exceptions.

Quote:
Should I even concern myself with such a matter?

No real need to ponder it much. As long as you leave the in block bypass intact you should get your desired results in a totally transparent manner.

So, don't worry, but many here like to ponder such things a good bit
55.gif

Glad I stumbled across this thread-
I've been looking for info on the NTZ filters here, the search feature finds nothing if NTZ is used for a search term.

I'm wanting to use the NTZ units on some transmission bypass applications.
Can't seem to find anyone that sells them though, the distributors on the NTZ website have no online info about the smaller ones...
I also found that NTZ is/was the element supplier for the Ford 5r110w bypass filters used for a few years.
I've searched online Ford parts sites and cannot find any one listing the housing...anybody got a part number/price?

The part number for this NTZ filter is ATF-09 (filter housing) and the replacement element is 02-C09-A and NTZ in Wixom can sell these to you direct.

"I also found that NTZ is/was the element supplier for the Ford 5r110w bypass filters used for a few years.
I've searched online Ford parts sites and cannot find any one listing the housing...anybody got a part number/price?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back