SuperTech 4967 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

I was at my local Wal-Mart and figured I'd pick up some SuperTech fiters. While I only needed one for an upcoming oil change, I bought a second for science.

Here it is:

As you can see, it has a black, very flexible ADBV and the blue-button bypass valve. The ADBV has a little ridge around the center that fits tightly against the end caps (this was not visible in close-up photos, so I didn't bother posting it).

This particular model is not an ecore, and has metal end caps on the paper filter media. The central tube is metal.

The paper has a pleat depth of ~1cm. The ends are glued rather heavily into the end caps. Pull as I might, I am unable to tear the paper out of the end cap, though I did end up cutting myself on the end cap (hooray). I ended up cutting the paper with a knife to see that it was also heavily glued on the inside of the ends as well.

All in all, it looks like a pretty standard Champion Labs filter, and I noticed no part of it that seemed low quality, cheap, or flimsy. Not bad for $2.57.

Much the same as the STP 3950 I cut open and the one I sent river Rat to test. It was highly similar to the Classic L10193. I think the ST has long been a decent filter and as good or better than ones costing more.

For those not infatuated with steel end caps, I think the Ecore is an upgrade.

Oh, I was in my AZ last week and they had STP 3950's right on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: teambeechstreet
What did you use to cut it open? dremel with a cutting wheel?

Exactly.

Obviously, one of the metal endcap blue button bypass non-ecore ST's apps, like the #7317. Looks good, well made and worth $2.57.

The ST's in the area have gone back up to $2.84 and at a newer area Wally they were $2.94. Still, at that same store the orange can was an average ~$4.50. No contest which I'd buy at Wally.

Thanks for posting pics.

Thanks for the pics. I have the same filter waiting for my next OC. Can you explain how the blue-button bypass valve works on this filter. I can't really tell from the pictures. I'm guessing there is a spring underneath preventing the blue button from opening.

Can you check to see if the bypass valve even opens?

I see tons of these filter reviews. But nobody ever checks to see if the bypass valve works or even opens for that matter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunfire
Thanks for the pics. I have the same filter waiting for my next OC. Can you explain how the blue-button bypass valve works on this filter. I can't really tell from the pictures. I'm guessing there is a spring underneath preventing the blue button from opening.

Exactly. In the picture, the filter media and the bypass valve are upside down (for clarity). When normally assembled, the filter media has the little collar at the top fitted into the ADVB. The bypass valve is then blue-button-down and fits into an opening at the end of the filter media opposite the ADBV. The button holder (although it looks like one, it's not a leaf spring) bit holds the bypass valve assembly away from the inside of the dome, so as to allow oil to flow through the button if needed.

Inside the assembly, there's a coil spring which pulls up (towards the dome) on the button. When bypassing, the button is pushed down by oil pressure about 1/4" into the hole at the end of the filter media, allowing oil to flow through.

Quote:
Can you check to see if the bypass valve even opens?

It does open. I don't have a scale to measure it, but I could open it with firm pressure applied by my thumb. It appeared to open and shut consistently, and after several open-shut cycles it seated back in the same spot without any visible variation. There's no o-ring or other seal between the button and the holder assembly, or the holder assembly and the filter media end cap, but they fit snugly together.

I took a few more pictures to explain how things fit together in case my written explanation was inadequate:

Additionally, I cut apart the filter media and took a few pictures of the inside:

Note the liberal use of glue to hold the filter paper onto the metal end cap:

Here's another close-up of the back end of the bypass valve:

Thanks for your dissection and explanation. I am running the ACDelco version of this filter on my 2005 Toyota Camry 2.4 along with Kendall GT-1 full synthetic for a 6 months/5K interval (still under the certified warranty). I was wondering if the filter was sufficently robust for such service and it appears it is. I was curious about the blue clicker valve and was contemplating cutting one apart. You saved me the time and expense. Man, is BITOG great or what?

Originally Posted By: heypete

Perfect. Thanks for putting in the extra effort.
thumbsup2.gif
Other than the size, it looks like a great filter for the money.

Originally Posted By: RedDart
Thanks for your dissection and explanation. I am running the ACDelco version of this filter on my 2005 Toyota Camry 2.4 along with Kendall GT-1 full synthetic for a 6 months/5K interval (still under the certified warranty). I was wondering if the filter was sufficently robust for such service and it appears it is. I was curious about the blue clicker valve and was contemplating cutting one apart. You saved me the time and expense. Man, is BITOG great or what?

Why don't you cut one apart and compare how much media there is? When I could find a PF 1177 and an ST 3950, the AC had half again as much media.
The quality of the media was unknown.

Any estimates as to how many miles this supertech filter can go on an extended drain? 10,000? I'm looking to change my oil every 10,ooo miles and am looking for a good, inexpensive filter that can go the distance.

Originally Posted By: Capa
Any estimates as to how many miles this supertech filter can go on an extended drain? 10,000? I'm looking to change my oil every 10,ooo miles and am looking for a good, inexpensive filter that can go the distance.

I wouldn't.

There's much better alternatives out there for extended use.

Mobil 1 filter, Wix filter, PureOne filter, even the Fram Extended Guard (and ONLY the Extended Guard) filter..... right there's four better choices for extended duty...

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Capa said:
There's much better alternatives out there for extended use.

Mobil 1 filter, Wix filter, PureOne filter, even the Fram Extended Guard (and ONLY the Extended Guard) filter..... right there's four better choices for extended duty...

What advantages would those filters have for extended OCIs over the STs? M1 filters are also made by Champion, and seem to have remarkably similar construction (e.g. metal end caps, at least in the case of this particular ST filter) to the ST, but at 5x the price.

I could see issues with running an orange Fram filter for 10,000 miles, but this particular ST seems to have no obvious deficiencies that I can see: metal end caps, metal central tube, flexible ADBV, good gasket, button-type bypass valve that is not dependent on a leaf spring, reasonably good filter paper area for the volume of the filter shell, etc.

While I prefer to stick to the manufacturer's recommended OCIs, I don't see why a different brand filter would be a better choice. Care to elaborate? I'm genuinely curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back