BIG MONITOR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey gang , I just bought a Dynex 24 inch TV / monitor from BEST BUY......bought it for $220 on sale. I went from a lil 17in ACER monitor to this. Did I do the right thing or should I have just bought a big monitor by itself ??? I figured I'd get the TV and have that as option to watch tv and use it as a monitor screen. I know it's an " el cheapo TV" ..... hope it holds up. Any other recommendations?
Bob

Dynex is meh, but most problems from them will show out of the box, others can be avoided with quality surge protection/battery backup/power filtering.

I have a monitor-HDTV combo as well, (22" Samsung), and it has been excellent. Picture quality on PC input is fantastic. TV quality is OK, although I don't really use it for that purpose.

Sorry, don't know anything about this Dynex unit in particular. I guess only you can tell if you like its picture quality...

I've been pondering about getting a 55" 1080p TV and hooking it up to a laptop.

This will remain my dream until I save up enough money to do so - will take a few years maybe but by then they will have better products :)

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
I've been pondering about getting a 55" 1080p TV and hooking it up to a laptop.

Have one of my PCs running XBMC hooked up to one of those via HDMI. Looks great.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Buddy has one of the mid sized Panasonic plasma (42?) - works great - less pixel response issue v. LCD tech.

But better chance of screen burn-in

From Nov 09 CNET

No discussion of TV power use would be complete without a bit of perspective. For households that pay somewhere near the average retail cost for energy--11.36 cents per kilowatt per hour in 2008--and that watch near the average amount per TV--about 5.2 hours per day--the cost to watch a 50-inch 1080p plasma TV is about $63 per year in the calibrated light output mode (see How We Test). A typical 52-inch LCD TV costs about $27 per year for the same light output, and of course, smaller TVs use less energy. Sure, both electricity costs and average daily TV use are increasing steadily every year; however, those amounts still don't take a major chunk out of most household budgets. According to the Department of Energy, for example, the average refrigerator uses nearly $90 worth of energy per year.

It's worth noting that plasma TV has many picture quality advantages over LCD TVs, so people who really prize video quality may be willing to sacrifice some efficiency to get those advantages. On the other hand, today's high-quality LCDs can balance extreme efficiency with great picture quality. As with all technologies, improvements in HDTV performance are being made with every generation of products, and we expect power consumption to continue to fall in newer models.

From Practical Home Theater Guide

Power Requirements

Up to a year ago, this was one of those few issues in this plasma vs LCD TV analysis where LCD TV sets enjoyed a clear-cut advantage. However, the latest energy efficient plasma display panels from LG, Panasonic, and Samsung have significantly reduced the LCD power advantage. These new plasma panels consume some 40% less power than previous generations for the same brightness levels.

LCDs still have an advantage in this area; this arises out of the way LCDs use a backlight source to produce images. Backlighting of a display panel to produce an image requires less power than to light the individual cells in a plasma display.

Another major difference between plasma and LCD technology is that plasma displays require more power both with increase in pixel count - i.e. 1080p plasma displays use more power to operate than equivalent screen size 720p plasma sets, and also to display brighter objects. On the other hand, LCD panels generally require more power when handling large areas of dark subjects over a bright background. This in view that for an LCD display to present a dark subject, more pixels will have to be activated to block more of the light produced by the backlight source from reaching the display surface.

Actual power requirements in LCDs depend mainly on the technology used for the backlight. LCD panels using standard CCFL-based backlight systems require typically 30% less power than 1080p plasma displays of the same screen size; they also require some 20% less power than equivalent size 720p plasma displays. This difference in power requirements between the two display technologies becomes more pronounced as one moves towards the larger end of the scale, i.e. 55-inch and above. LCDs using LED backlights are even more energy efficient - with edge-lit LED TVs using less power than corresponding LED TVs using local dimming technology.

I have the Dynex 42" LCD tv, that I'm happy with. The only major drawback is that for a 1080p TV they installed a VGA instead of an SVGA input which makes no sense. VGA only supports up to 640x480, although when I plug my laptop in it goes up to 800x600 resolution. This year Panasonic (who licensed Kuro technology from Pioneer) debuted a 4000x2000 152" flat panel at this year CES show. Now Tecnovision an Italian company has debuted a 205" flat panel. Unfortunately as the tv size grows over 50" the price goes way up. Panasonic's 103" 4Kx2K tv is $30,000.

as long as you are happy with it, that's all that matter. Dynex is a store brand for I think BestBuy, or something of a generic brand, and my main concern is the component quality and whether they will last.

My "Polaroid" start having problem after the warranty expired.

I've used my 32" Philips(made by Funai to Philips spec and with a LG panel me thinks) as a monitor with a Mini-DVI to HDMI adapter.

25" HP with a 23" HP on the side...for Autocad.

At the place I was working they had a 28" primary with a 24" on the side.

Back at SanDisk we each have 2 19monitors on our main machine, I could till them vertically and put them together, and run it as a huge one with a bar in the middle.

I'm running a Dynex 42" 1080P unit as my living room TV and a 32" 720P unit in my bedroom. I also bought a 32" for my folks for Xmas and they're all working quite well. They're the best bang for the buck these days. I think I got all 3 units for a skosh over $1100.

I tried the HDMI output from one of my laptops on them and it looked OK. At the orefice, I've got a pair of these 24" monitors connected to my workstation:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+24"+Widescreen+Flat-Panel+TFT-LCD+Monitor+-+Black/9704656.p?id=1218154377047&skuId=9704656

The picture quality on those is amazing and they're only about $250 these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back