Getting a Honda Rebel 250!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello ALL!!
I just got my learners permit for motorcycles.

I am planning to buy a used Honda Rebel 250 to learn on. This thing is going to see more time on it's side than up right, so that's why Im starting out with the rebel.

As some may know, the 250 has no oil filter and only holds 1.6 Qts of oil.

So my question is, what is the best oil and OCI.

AND, can you tell me what to look out for and check on the Rebel before I buy??

Thanks all!!!

I would use what ever oil Honda recommends. I hope it spends more time upright for your sake. Be safe and enjoy the fabulous world of cycling.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I would use what ever oil Honda recommends. I hope it spends more time upright for your sake. Be safe and enjoy the fabulous world of cycling.

No no. I am going to be falling over on it. I know that for sure!!

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Originally Posted By: Johnny

No no. I am going to be falling over on it. I know that for sure!!

Man I hope not..I would consider a 250 pretty easy to ride. Even for a beginner.

Since you have F250 w/6.8L, what ever oil you’re using with that will work fine in the Rebel. (Diesel 15w40) I would suggest changing it out the first time after 600 to 1000 miles, just in case the previous owner was a little relaxed in changing the oil. Then change it out every 2000 miles. Don't forget to look at the air filter also. Check inside the gas tank for rust, check the chain and sprockets for wear. Check the tires for weather checking/cracks. Sit on the bike hold the front brake and rock it back and fourth listen for any clunking in the head bearings. Grab the rear tire and give it a good wiggle back and forth to check the swingarm bushings. Make sure the brakes work.
The motor on those bikes don't have much to go wrong with them.
Cam-chain tensioner wear and cam wear if it has higher miles could be a concern. I am sure I have forgotten some things.
But most Rebels I have seen are low miles and have been used for a short time as people move up to something bigger.
Be safe, learn and respect the bike no matter how big or small it is.

I would use rotella , delo 400, or delvac. All will do the job with no issues. Change them at least once a year, or 3000 miles. That bike will be easy to handle, just take your time and go SLOW.Falling down can hurt, so make sure you have a helmet whether or not your laws require them or not, its YOUR head. And a pair of gloves so if you fall you will have some skin left on them.,

Originally Posted By: LC
Since you have F250 w/6.8L, what ever oil you’re using with that will work fine in the Rebel. (Diesel 15w40) I would suggest changing it out the first time after 600 to 1000 miles, just in case the previous owner was a little relaxed in changing the oil. Then change it out every 2000 miles. Don't forget to look at the air filter also. Check inside the gas tank for rust, check the chain and sprockets for wear. Check the tires for weather checking/cracks. Sit on the bike hold the front brake and rock it back and fourth listen for any clunking in the head bearings. Grab the rear tire and give it a good wiggle back and forth to check the swingarm bushings. Make sure the brakes work.
The motor on those bikes don't have much to go wrong with them.
Cam-chain tensioner wear and cam wear if it has higher miles could be a concern. I am sure I have forgotten some things.
But most Rebels I have seen are low miles and have been used for a short time as people move up to something bigger.
Be safe, learn and respect the bike no matter how big or small it is.

Thanks for the info. I have sold the F250, so I no longer have it. .
Too it was a 6.8L V10 gas engine.

My old 500 Honda v twin used 20w50, it will do fine, but I would call the dealer in ur area. But that was 1985. Had a friend that rode his 250 to N. Dakota from Tennessee, it never failed to start and no mechanical problems.

This might be a coincident but my wife just asked if she can have a 250cc bike for scooting around. I was thinking about either a Honda Rebel or a Ninja 250R. Truth be told, I am leaning toward an Aprilia RS125 so I can have some seat time on it also.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Hello ALL!!
I just got my learners permit for motorcycles.

I am planning to buy a used Honda Rebel 250 to learn on. This thing is going to see more time on it's side than up right, so that's why Im starting out with the rebel.

As some may know, the 250 has no oil filter and only holds 1.6 Qts of oil.

So my question is, what is the best oil and OCI.

AND, can you tell me what to look out for and check on the Rebel before I buy??

Thanks all!!!

If a Rebel 250 has oil in it, it will run - end of story. World's Most reliable engine. Honda did their homework on this one. Any decent auto oil will work fine. Change it every 2000 miles and never worry again. There is a website on the internet where a guy rode his Rebel completely around the Western US and it was a high-mileage bike.

Before going into the specifics about the bike, I strongly recommend you take a motorcycle safety course. It could possibly save your life. You do not want to be falling off of, or crashing into anything at even low speeds. It can be life threatening. I'm not trying to scare you. I just want you to know that riding a motorcycle has risks that can have substantial results if things go wrong.

As far as the bike goes, the Honda Rebel is probably one of the best small motorcycles ever mass produced. For it's size, it's fairly fast. It's also very nimble, comfortable and reliable. I'd do oil changes at around the 2000 mile mark using any HDEO, such as Rotella 15W40 or similar viscosity.

LC has given you a pretty concise list of things to look for. Also check for oil seepage around the fork seals and make sure all the electrics work properly. I.e. signals, brake lights, head light hi/lo beams. Look to ensure the gauges are working as well. Check the throttle to ensure it does not bind when actuated. Look for fuel leaks around the fuel valve. Make sure exhaust system is on good and tight. Check your chain to make sure it's adjusted properly. Check the battery electrolyte level, Chances are it's low.

Safe riding!

That little engine is air cooled; that can stress the oil if ridden at slow speeds, (as are common with a beginner), due to low cooling medium flow.

OTOH - that engine has been around a LONG time, is very reliable, and barely makes enough power to pull the skin off pudding; heat stress from power production is NOT an issue.

Any decent HDEO will work more than well enough.

Smart move starting out on something like a rebel 250.....You will be more accident prone staring out but make your goal to stay up right and ride with that goal in mind...Although the risk for falling is high as a beginner, you still don't have to...As someone already mentioned the motorcycle safety course is a good idea...

"barely makes enough power to pull the skin off pudding"

That's harsh. Ouch....

That little 250 makes around 20 to 25 h.p. and the bike is capable of 80 to 85 mph. Pretty respectable for it's size.

I read that the Motorcycle Safety Foundation have certified Honda Rebels for their courses. That has to say something about the machine. Easy to ride, reliable etc.

Very smart to get a bike like a Rebel as your first. You can trade up when you're ready and probably get back the same you paid for it.

As the others said, I urge you to take the MSF course BEFORE you start riding. Not only to learn how to ride the bike but also in managing all the risks and situations you will encounter in public roads and traffic. Doubly so in an urban area near Philadelphia.

Those early beginner miles are by far the most dangerous in the life of a motorcyclist and you will significantly reduce that risk with the MSF class. Take it now when you need it most.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
"barely makes enough power to pull the skin off pudding"

That's harsh. Ouch....

That little 250 makes around 20 to 25 h.p. and the bike is capable of 80 to 85 mph. Pretty respectable for it's size.

I read that the Motorcycle Safety Foundation have certified Honda Rebels for their courses. That has to say something about the machine. Easy to ride, reliable etc.

boraticus:

I would say that 25HP isn't going to impress or worry anyone, but I guess it could pull the "skin off pudding" but probably not much more. but that isn't the point -- I agree that this is the perfect starter bike and should last until the next ice-age. I would be far more worried about my untried riding skills, than what kind of oil to run in the engine. That thing is far tougher than most "new" riders.

+1 for taking MSR -- very good suggestion boraticus.

I took the MSF course back in 1980. I'm certain that what I learned there probably saved my skin a few times. The most prominent aspect that I took away from the course was situational awareness. Back then, it wasn't called that, but that's what it was. Being aware of what's going on around you at all times. Knowing where you are in any particular traffic situation and looking for an escape route if things start to go wrong. Another important aspect was how to protect yourself at an intersection. That is, allowing vehicles to block for you when going across, watching for the left turn murderers and red light runners.

The course provided 250cc XR Hondas for us to ride in a very large parking lot. The instructors taught us counter steering and also encouraged us to use as much of the bike as possible. I had a fair amount of dirt bike riding experience before taking the course so, bike handling wasn't an issue for me. What was different with riding on pavement was the extreme lean angles available and additional traction. However, when you reach the limits of traction, there's very little warning before things start to happen. That's where dirt riding experience comes in handy. Aggressive dirt riding calls for a lot of slipping and sliding. With experience, you learn to use the slide(s) to your advantage. I found that when I encountered slippery road conditions on my street bikes, usually sand on a curve, and the bike would start to slip out on me, letting off the gas just enough to stop the wheel from slipping would get me through the corner without too much drama.

Think I'll start a thread about safe riding techniques.

if you havent already take the MSF, and advanced MSF. new riders that scoff at learning/taking these courses are only missing out.

youv made a good choice in starting with the 250.

in reguards to your oil, I like M1 or Amsoil in bikes.

Keep the shiney side up, dont forget to put your kickstand down. buy yourself some good rideing gear, it will only enhance your rideing experience.. especially if you dump it.

good luck, motorcycling is a fantastic addiction.

I rode a Rebel 250, Ninja 250, and ended up with the Virago 250, now the V Star 250 from Yamaha. Much better low end than the Rebel, uses an oil filter, and is better if you plan to go on the highway.

I modded mine by going up one tooth on the front sprocket and down two on the back. I am 6 feet tall and 225lbs and it holds me at 70mph all day and gets almost 90mpg.

Try one out if you can. I recommend them. I put 19k on mine and all I have done is change plugs, oil, and a worn set of tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back