Power steering fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to change the power steering fluid for the first time in my Silverado pickup. Truck has 200,000 miles on it and the fluid has never been changed. No leaks or anything. What brand should I go with? Is the Prestone brand found at wal-mart worth a darn? Also, anyone have any idea how much fluid the power steering system holds on an '03 chevy silverado halfton? Would I be safe buying two quarts? Thanks

I can't tell you about the power steering fluids because my truck takes ATF in the power steering system. But I do think 2 quarts would be enough. Check your owners manual and it should tell you how much you'll need.

When I did mine about a month ago, I just sucked out the old fluid with a pump and then filled it with fresh fluid. I then drove around the block a few times, turned the wheel back and forth and repeated the process. This worked well for me and it ensures no new leaks will occur from messing with things. I went through 1 quart and that was 2 cycles of pumping and refilling.

The Prestone is OK, and so is the Wal-Mart brand. I think the Prestone has seal conditioners while the W-M brand does not. Off the top of my head I think the system uses 3 quarts. It is hard to flush it correctly with 2 people, and a pain in the butt by yourself. most people use a turkey baster to suck the old fluid out then refill, run the engine and repeat. If you do the flush be sure to not let the pump run dry. It takes a while to re-prime and can damage it. The turkey baster or other vacuum type pump is your safest bet. You might want to get into the habit of removing and refilling to fluid in the PS sump once a year (not a complete flush).

I have a 2001 GMC Sierra w/5.3L engine (similar to your truck)

Last edited:
Ive been told Valvoline Maxlife is good so I put that in my 02 malibu. Its clear in the bottle, and the old PSF will come out brown, so if you do the turkey baster you will know when you are getting to new fluid as it gets clearer and clearer.

Safe bet is the baster. Suck, refill, start, turn wheels lock-to-lock. Repeat until clear.

Although you can also take the return line off the reservoir and either spin the pulley by hand or drill (need to take the serp belt off) and catch the old fluid with a small container. Good time to check/replace serp belt if required.

Originally Posted By: hpracing10
Getting ready to change the power steering fluid for the first time in my Silverado pickup. Truck has 200,000 miles on it and the fluid has never been changed. No leaks or anything. What brand should I go with? Is the Prestone brand found at wal-mart worth a darn? Also, anyone have any idea how much fluid the power steering system holds on an '03 chevy silverado halfton? Would I be safe buying two quarts? Thanks

I purchased 2 quarts of GM PSF when I did mine, but I would suggest doing the turkey baster method. It's easy and you can replace about 1/2 quart each time. Do it over a process of time depending on the amount you drive.

I might get some grief here but I'd much rather stick with the OEM on PSF. It got you to 200k without any issue, so keep that in mind.

Good point bigmike. I just plan to do the turkey baster method and get what I can of the old out then refill and drive it a bit then do that a few more times. Any idea what the OEM fluid costs per quart? I'm assuming its more expensive than most other options, but like you said, it got me this far and I only need 2-3 quarts so it shouldn't break the bank. Thanks for your replies.

I use Valvoline Maxlife PSF, you can get it at NAPA or O'reilly for like 4.35 a quart. My 1500GMC I used 2 quarts with the turkey baster method, took out as much as I could replaced. drove for a few days, replaced some more, drove for a few more and did the last replacement and all the fluid looked clean.

Keep your tires straight when checking the fluid level too.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: gomes512
Although you can also take the return line off the reservoir and either spin the pulley by hand or drill (need to take the serp belt off) and catch the old fluid with a small container. Good time to check/replace serp belt if required.

Spinning the pulley by hand sounds like a good idea. I will have to try it.

Originally Posted By: hpracing10
Good point bigmike. I just plan to do the turkey baster method and get what I can of the old out then refill and drive it a bit then do that a few more times. Any idea what the OEM fluid costs per quart? I'm assuming its more expensive than most other options, but like you said, it got me this far and I only need 2-3 quarts so it shouldn't break the bank. Thanks for your replies.

It's around $9 for a quart. There aren't alot of places to order it online but you can find it. GM parts places would be the easiest. I bought 2 quarts and that should get you near 4 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back