Long treadlife tire recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: disturban
Uniroyals FTW!!! 110,000 miles on original Uniroyals on my wifes Bravada before we bought new tires and they still had tread on them!

Which Uniroyals exactly???

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Uniroyals FTW!!! 110,000 miles on original Uniroyals on my wifes Bravada before we bought new tires and they still had tread on them!

Which Uniroyals exactly???

Obviously not the ones I had. Never again will I have Uniroyals on my truck...

Originally Posted By: rshaw125

Which Uniroyal's exactly???
The Bravada came from the factory with Uniroyal Laredo's...like I said they went 110,000 miles and still had a little tread on them. Just decided to get some all terains for the winter and spring when our driveway is a 400ft mud bog. We will probably buy some more Uniroyal's to swap out for summer and improve MPG's.

Last edited:
IMO, this is a much more complicated discussion than it appears. In reality there are so many differences in the way people drive, it would almost be impossible to compare thread life. It's really the same as recommending brake pads, or for that matter shoes..

I've always been more concerned with how the tires handle, especially in wet weather than how long they'll last. Therefore I'll always choose a softer compound and if I can get 30,40K out of the set I'm happy..

But that's just me :)

For long treadwear, Michelin is the only tire you need to know, at least based upon my experience over the years.
I have tried other brands. but I have always found Michelins to be the most satisfactory overall.
They deliver really long wear, as well as good rain and winter grip, in my experience.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Which model(s) within Michelin though. A mfg w/o model is pretty much meaningless.

Thank you. Too many people assume that every tire from a manufacturer represents the entire line. For example, stuff I've read:

"My car came with these [censored] Goodyear Integrity tires. They wore out in 16k miles. I'll never buy another Goodyear!"

"This Honda came with Michelin Symmetry tires and they ride like garbage. I don't understand why ANYONE buys Michelin tires!"

You can get a Michelin Pilot that'll wear down in 10k miles. And you can get a long-wearing Michelin (like a HydroEdge or like an LTX M/S) that may last 100k miles easy. There are far too many different models of tire in ANY tire manufacturer's portfolio to generalize them all together.

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
Michelin Hydroedge wear like steel. I have only worn 2/32's off of mine in more then 20k miles. They are currently rated as 90k mile treadlife.

I measured my tread depth 2 weeks ago when I rotated my tires for the 2nd time. I have a tread depth gauge and the left front had 2/32 wear toward the outer edge. The rest of the tires had 1/32 wear. I have not needed to rebalance this set of tires.

FYI my set of tires started at 11/32s tread depth.

I don't know about their snow abilities though... Our friends 03 civic with new last year hydroedges, set the record for the least distance traveled up our hardpacked snow covered hill on our driveway... Not a scientific measure but they got beat by a 2wd pickup with old [censored] tires. Alot of it is driver but my tracker in rwd only with mediocre 3 year old snow tires had no issues getting up our driveway 10 minutes later.

As for uniroyals, the original tiger paws passenger car tires are still on summer rims for the tracker. ~70,000 miles and are wearing like iron, they also grip like iron in the wet and on snow... Its hard to throw out tires with 3/4 of the tread left but they are remarkably bad in the wet.

We've been very happy with the wear we've gotten from Discount Tire's house-brand Arizonian Silver Edition Plus tires. We put a set on our Maxima last year and they still look good. And, as you can tell from my sig, we put a ton of miles on the car in a year.

They aren't the quietest tires you can buy. But, the question was about wear.

Michelin Hydroedge, hands down.

They have relatively stiff sidewalls and so-so dry grip, but they wear like iron.

I have 42k+ on a set with mostly city driving and I still have 6/32 left all around. There are people on Priuschat who have been able to get over 100,000 miles out of a set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back