3M Performance Finish, 3M Perfect-It Wax, or Both?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there an advantage in using one or over the other? Or should I be using both (i.e. Performance Finish first followed by the wax)? Which one is more durable? I'm primarily concerned with durability as it rains 8 months of the year here in Vancouver, BC. The other 4 months are either full of pollen, cottonwood seeds, or dust from a summer drought.

Also, notice that both, particularly the Performance Finish, have a lot of silicones in their formulation. As everyone knows, silicon-based waxes and sealants have gotten a bad rap from body shops. If 3M has such a good reputation, why would they put out silicone-based products?

Here's the composition of the Performance Finish (http://www.shop3m.com/60455033062.html?WT.z_xsell=1&WT.z_refSKU=60455030902):

Ingredient C.A.S. No. % by Wt
WATER 7732-18-5 40-70%
DECAMETHYLCYCLOPENTASILOXANE 541-02-6 5-15%
DODECAMETHYLCYCLOHEXASILOXANE 540-97-6 1-10%
HYDROTREATED LIGHT PETROLEUM DISTILLATES 64742-47-8 3-7%
ALUMINUM SILICATE CLAY 66402-68-4 3-7%
SILOXANES AND SILICONES 71750-80-6 1-5%
ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL 67-63-0 1-5%
STODDARD SOLVENT 8052-41-3 NAPHTHA (PETROLEUM), HYDRODESULFURIZED HEAVY 64742-82-1 SILOXANES AND SILICONES 69430-37-1 0.1-1.0%

And here's the composition of the Perfect-it Wax (Paste)(http://www.shop3m.com/60455030902.html?WT.z_xsell=1&WT.z_refSKU=60455033062):
HYDROTREATED HEAVY NAPHTHA (PETROLEUM) 64742-48-9 15-40%
HYDROTREATED LIGHT PETROLEUM DISTILLATES 64742-47-8 15-40%
CARNAUBA WAX 8015-86-9 10-30%
Siloxanes and Silicones, di-Me 63148-62-9 7-13%
MONTAN WAX 68476-03-9 3-7%
SYNTHETIC HYDROCARBON MIXTURE (NJRTK # 80100348-5009P) Trade Secret 1-%5
SILANE POLYMER WITH SILOXANES Trade Secret 0.5-1.5%

I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks,
AW

Last edited:
I use the Performance Finish on all my cars. Very easy to apply and remove, decent shine and lasts a very long time! Beads water for 6+ months easily... It's January, and I last applied in July, and water still beads! (Beads water too well actually to the point where it doesn't shear the water off as fast as other cars, after a storm for example.)

Use it on my rims too... Makes cleaning very easy.

Not familiar with the Perfect it Wax.

I picked up 6 bottles at under $5 when they were on clearance in Walmarts in the US. Will be using them for a looong time!

Interesting ingredients, thanks for posting them.

It looks like the Performance Finish is a silicone polymer sealant. It uses a light abrasive to clean the paint and give the silicone's something to stick to. Water based, low on solvents, sounds like your modern synthetic "wax" paint protectant.

Their wax looks pretty traditional, with a high amount of solvents used as a carrier agent and a mix of carnauba and montan wax. Both add shine and the ability to repel water. I'm sure their silicone's add durability.

Don't forget that there are over 30,000 formulations of silicone. Not all of them are bad for car paint.

3m Performance Finish is a one step wax, meaning that it has a cleaning agent in it. MSDS info clay 3.7 percent.

3M Perfect -it wax has no cleaning agent in it so it is less of a compromise product and also less likely to stain black trim pieces.

"Don't forget that there are over 30,000 formulations of silicone. Not all of them are bad for car paint."

+1. I kept on running into various internet threads, as well as from talking to various individuals, that silicone is bad for your paint, and that body shop people will refuse to paint over a current finish that has been siliconized. A lot of these kinds of sentiments have to do with Nu Finish, which itself is supposed to be silicon-based, which is why I ask this of the two 3m products.

AW

Originally Posted By: ajwan
Is there an advantage in using one or over the other? Or should I be using both (i.e. Performance Finish first followed by the wax)? Which one is more durable? I'm primarily concerned with durability as it rains 8 months of the year here in Vancouver, BC. The other 4 months are either full of pollen, cottonwood seeds, or dust from a summer drought.

Also, notice that both, particularly the Performance Finish, have a lot of silicones in their formulation. As everyone knows, silicon-based waxes and sealants have gotten a bad rap from body shops. If 3M has such a good reputation, why would they put out silicone-based products?

Here's the composition of the Performance Finish (http://www.shop3m.com/60455033062.html?WT.z_xsell=1&WT.z_refSKU=60455030902):

WATER 7732-18-5 40-70%
DECAMETHYLCYCLOPENTASILOXANE 541-02-6 5-15%
DODECAMETHYLCYCLOHEXASILOXANE 540-97-6 1-10%
HYDROTREATED LIGHT PETROLEUM DISTILLATES 64742-47-8 3-7%
ALUMINUM SILICATE CLAY 66402-68-4 3-7%
SILOXANES AND SILICONES 71750-80-6 1-5%
ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL 67-63-0 1-5%
STODDARD SOLVENT 8052-41-3 NAPHTHA (PETROLEUM), HYDRODESULFURIZED HEAVY 64742-82-1 SILOXANES AND SILICONES 69430-37-1 0.1-1.0%

And here's the composition of the Perfect-it Wax (Paste)(http://www.shop3m.com/60455030902.html?WT.z_xsell=1&WT.z_refSKU=60455033062):
HYDROTREATED HEAVY NAPHTHA (PETROLEUM) 64742-48-9 15-40%
HYDROTREATED LIGHT PETROLEUM DISTILLATES 64742-47-8 15-40%
CARNAUBA WAX 8015-86-9 10-30%
Siloxanes and Silicones, di-Me 63148-62-9 7-13%
MONTAN WAX 68476-03-9 3-7%
SYNTHETIC HYDROCARBON MIXTURE (NJRTK # 80100348-5009P) Trade Secret 1-%5
SILANE POLYMER WITH SILOXANES Trade Secret 0.5-1.5%

I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks,
AW

3m Performance Finish is more durable than their wax. This is a synthetic sealant (synthetic wax) that will outlast a carnauba blend based wax. Also, Silicone based products are safe to use on cured paint. The only time silicone causes trouble is in a body shop, where they may affect the adhesion of the paint onto the panel when fresh paint is being sprayed. The vast majority of waxes/ sealants are not body shop safe, meaning you cannot paint over them without having an adverse effect.

So does this mean that the effect of silicone on paint is irreversible such that if one were to be involved in a MVA, a body shop will have difficulty painting a damaged panel? Or can the effects be reversed?

nope. Remember there are a lot (read: thousands) of variations in the use & formulations utilizing silicone & the like - some no problem some with problems. In any case a body shop should have no problems if they are halfway competent.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz

It looks like the Performance Finish is a silicone polymer sealant. It uses a light abrasive to clean the paint and give the silicone's something to stick to. Water based, low on solvents, sounds like your modern synthetic "wax" paint protectant.

Their wax looks pretty traditional, with a high amount of solvents used as a carrier agent and a mix of carnauba and montan wax. Both add shine and the ability to repel water. I'm sure their silicone's add durability.

Don't forget that there are over 30,000 formulations of silicone. Not all of them are bad for car paint.

Would this be something similar to NuFinish?

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Originally Posted By: bretfraz

Would this be something similar to NuFinish?

Not really like NuFinish. Both of these 3M products are very mild; neither have much in the way of paint cleaning/polishing ability. They really won't restore or improve paint in rough condition, only add shine and protection.

NF has more aggressive paint cleaning/polishing action - that's really its claim to fame, restoring old, faded paint. Even still, it's not THAT aggressive, but it does have more polishing action than most products in stores including these from 3M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back