Sunoco Synthetic????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped to get gas and morning coffee at a Sunoco station in a neighboring town this week here in Michigan.
As I was waiting in line to pay for everything, what do I spot? - Sunoco 5W30 and 10W30 Synthetic. I did not get the chance to examine them closer, but they had the familar Blue & Yellow Sunoco racing colors on the quarts. Upon calling the Sunoco headquarters in PA, I was told they haven't made motor oil in 4-5 years. They also said they last made a synthetic blend at the time. The interesting thing is they claim to be coming out with a full synthetic in the next 3 - 4 months.

Question #1) Has anyone else ever seen/used a Sunoco motor oil before? That early in the morning, I had to rub my eyes, as if I was staring at the Loch Ness Monster, or something.

Upon googling Sunoco products that night, guess what I learned? There are Sunoco Ultra Gold Brand Full Synthetics made in Canada. Comes in 5W20, 5W30, 10W30, 5W40 & 5W50. I called them (905)831-9569 and learned that they make everything in a plant in LaSalle. Sell products in Pickering, Ontario. $10/liter.

Question #2) Have any of the Canadian BITOGers ever heard of of used any Sunoco products? Are they worth crossing the border to try them?

Sun Oil is a quality company. Used to use their gasoline, oil, and grease many years ago. You won't have any problems. They have been around a long time.

quote:

Originally posted by Best F100:
I stopped to get gas and morning coffee at a Sunoco station in a neighboring town this week here in Michigan.
As I was waiting in line to pay for everything, what do I spot? - Sunoco 5W30 and 10W30 Synthetic. I did not get the chance to examine them closer, but they had the familar Blue & Yellow Sunoco racing colors on the quarts. Upon calling the Sunoco headquarters in PA, I was told they haven't made motor oil in 4-5 years. They also said they last made a synthetic blend at the time. The interesting thing is they claim to be coming out with a full synthetic in the next 3 - 4 months.

Question #1) Has anyone else ever seen/used a Sunoco motor oil before? That early in the morning, I had to rub my eyes, as if I was staring at the Loch Ness Monster, or something.

Upon googling Sunoco products that night, guess what I learned? There are Sunoco Ultra Gold Brand Full Synthetics made in Canada. Comes in 5W20, 5W30, 10W30, 5W40 & 5W50. I called them (905)831-9569 and learned that they make everything in a plant in LaSalle. Sell products in Pickering, Ontario. $10/liter.

Question #2) Have any of the Canadian BITOGers ever heard of of used any Sunoco products? Are they worth crossing the border to try them?

Sunoco oil has always been available in this area at their stations. Sunoco once owned Kendall, which has since been sold to Conoco-Phillips, and had a duel product line which I suspect was based largely on Kendall's formula.

Sunoco is available here in PA, oil is in every store. I dont think its anything special but Im sure its fine. The bottles on the shelf here are SL.

I have fond memories as a kid in PA going to the Sunoco stations to get the NFL football stamps/books.
I also remember that great air-pump with the crank and bell...ah, the good old days.
Sorry to jack the thread...

7 years old, big brother's friend's GTO Judge, and that weird blending pump Sun had back in the 60's.. you could get about a dozen octane blends from one pump by rotating a handle on the side. It was always at the 260 selection for the Judge... sweet memories!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back