Will changing oil BRANDS hurt the engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently use PP 5-20 in my 2009 Ram Hemi. Got the oil when it was on sale. Would it hurt to change oil brand as long as it's still a quality synthetic? As oil sales and rebates come and go, I would like to take advantage of them. I just don't want to have any problems with changing brands.

No worries, I change brands all the time in all of the cars I maintain. Think of it this way; brands occasionally reformulate their oils anyways, so you're technically switching oils even by being brand loyal.
55.gif

There are a few that use conventional oil during the summer and synthetic during the winter.
No biggy.
Just use a brand name and you are good to go.

I always have a problem going from dino to synth. Stick with one brand and get the long warranty for free! 9(Yeah, easy for U 2 say, he he ...)

I only change brands if oil is on sale, or I forgot what I used last time. I am not oil brand loyal anymore. What are the odds you picked the best oil the first time? If you never try anything else, you'll never use the best.

I see so many 200,000 mile cars and trucks that receive whatever bulk oil is on sale that day.

I would never worry about changing brands.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I don't think that my Jeep has had the same brand used 2x in a row since it was new.

+1
I currently have PP in one vehicle and TropArtic in another, but after the next oil change, it could be completely different.
I use name brand (pretty much) oil that's on sale. Currently got a good stash of TropArtic, QS and PYB.

I had an 81 Pontiac Phoenix with the SBC cut down to a V-6. I mostly ran Pennzoil YB. After 7-8 years I switched to QS and later discovered a severe sludge problem. Was it the QS? If I had stuck to Pennzoil, I would know.

Originally Posted By: KW
The short answer is, no it won't hurt a thing. But you might see some usage until the motor gets used to it.

Please explain

i read here one time a a GM or ford engineer says it is best to stick with one brand cuz of different additives...not that i ever do

Originally Posted By: chet2
i read here one time a a GM or ford engineer says it is best to stick with one brand cuz of different additives...not that i ever do
Look at the virgin and used oil analysis postings and compare.T here are only a handfull of additive manufactures in the world.

For some reason some enginges after use of one oil.Use/burn oil when a different oil/formulation is used.
Sometimes after a few changes it consumption stops.
Sometimes an engine does better on certain oils.
I have seen it on our fleet.
Some BITOGer who knows more might clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back