Best engine design for a motorcycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK Boys,

Here's another voters' preference post -- What motorcycle engine design is the "best" and here's that catch -- WHY?

I'll start it off -- I vote for a 90 (or close to 90) degree V-4 like the Honda VFR or ST1300. Why? 90 degree V for perfect primary vibration balance, compact size, narrow, light-weight, multi-cylinder for high RPM, room for balance shafts, starters, and throttle bodies in the V. Easily adapted for use with chain or shaft drive.

No fair high-jacking the thread to bash others opinions

1 piston goin up and down, no valves.
20.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Wankel

Interesting. How come there are none in current production then? At least none of the major players in the industry. I'm not saying you are wrong, just asking what you think.

90 degree v-twin has been the best/funnest I've found so far, plus they sound great! Slim, perfect primary balance, best throttle connection with the back tire. I may be biased though because that is my current ride. 1998 TL 1000s

OT...ZGRider is the "Bus Stop" still out there???LOL....I spent a few nights in there when I lived in Denver.

My virago has your typical v-twin but they put it in bass-ackwards compared to a harley.

Great, except there's no hope of ever grafting a kick start on. Then they put in an awful electric motor and called it good. I flintstone it going most of the time.

For a road bike I would have to say

1 Opposed twin like a BMW- Cools best, low center of gravity, good low end power

2 V twin- Cools well, has decent low end power, fits well in frame, looks best

3 Parallel twin- Cools least well, wide on big displacement engines, but retro cool

On a off road or dual purpose I am a thumper fan.

Agree about the 90 degree V-Twin. Not the most serviceable design, as all the valve gear is under the fuel tank and frame top tube, not the most efficiently air cooled, but in a liquid cooled design with zero maintenance hydraulic valve lifters it's the way to go. Oops, no engines meet all my criteria.

I like the BMW boxer twins.

Why?

The jugs hang out in the breeze for efficient air cooling that does not need the added weight and complexity of water cooling. The cylinders also provide some leg protection in a collision or lay down. Anything more than two cylinders is overkill on a bike IMO.

In a word...simplicity.

Just my very biased opinion.

why are there no 3 cylinder engines on a motorcycle? I know, laugh it up - but I love the 3 cylinder in my polaris snowmobile.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
why are there no 3 cylinder engines on a motorcycle? I know, laugh it up - but I love the 3 cylinder in my polaris snowmobile.

There have been quite a few.

Originally Posted By: dsmith41
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Wankel

Interesting. How come there are none in current production then? At least none of the major players in the industry. I'm not saying you are wrong, just asking what you think.

I saw a Wankel motorcycle in a museum once.

The radiator looked twice as large as any radiator I have ever seen on a motorcycle.

I wouldn't want to use one for that reason.

Triumph has the Speed Triple street fighter and the Daytona 675 sportbike. Both are triples.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: outshined

Triumph has the Speed Triple street fighter and the Daytona 675 sportbike. Both are triples.
55.gif

Velocette used a Water cooled Triple in the 50's/60's (Like an opposed Twin with a third cyl going up) Very smooth, very Quite. Used by U.K. Police.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back