Seafoam vs MMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello. when added to the crankcase (oil), in the recommended amount, which do YOU think would clean better?

I have used MMO in the crankcase, but since I have not used Seafoam in the crankcase I cannot make a comment about Seafoam.

It might be a good idea to use the search function on this site, or maybe go to Google and type in Seafoam versus MMO in the crankcase.

I have not used MMO in my crankcase to give you a comparison. I HAVE used Seafoam in the crankcase for about 2 weeks (300 miles). I was happy with the clean up on the Seafoam. I used 1/3 of the bottle in each: crankcase/gas tank/intake manifold.

i like marvel but only used seafoam once in intake and that ruined 2 of me already weak im sure injectors (guess it cleaned really good maybe too good for old injectors

They are different products when used in the crank case. Seafoam is a fast engine flush and you are not supposed to drive around with it in the crankcase where mmo is a slow cleaner that needs time to work. I have had luck with seafoam as an induction cleaner but never used it as a flush used B12 chemtool instead at half the cost.

I use sea foam for a hard clean in oil and fuel, and use mmo for regular maintenance use in fuel...

I'm working on doing an engine cleaning test which will include Seafoam and MMO. I'll start a thread about it once I have the first round complete.

Originally Posted By: lipadj46
Seafoam is a fast engine flush and you are not supposed to drive around with it in the crankcase where mmo is a slow cleaner that needs time to work.

According to the Seafoam website you can leave it in for the complete oil change interval. They also describe it as a slow cleaner.

"Sea Foam will slowly re-liquefy the old oil varnish residue that builds up on lifters and rings and prevents them from functioning normally."

"You can leave Sea Foam in the oil indefinitely as long as the oil is clean. The addition of a high-detergent oil like Sea Foam may cause the oil to become dirty faster than normal as buildup oil residue and contamination are cleaned. Check the oil at regular intervals and when it gets dirty, change it."

Read under the heading, "Cleaning Lifters and Oil Rings".
http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-use-sea-foam-motor-treatment.html

I did a seafoam cleanup and ran it 500+ miles in a dodge and gained 10 PSI. I think MMO may be more gentle, less sovent and more oil. Thuse I am trying MMO a full OCI in a different vehicle. Seafoam is still petroluem based and not as harsh as B12 or gunk Flush.

I recently switched over treating fuel I use for all my small engines at the property. I treat fuel for stability and mild /maintenance cleaning. Used Seafoam for years in ATV's, dirtbikes ,power equipement, and 2 cycle fuel. Now that it is 10$ a pint I tried the MMO. I go through a 15 gallon storage tank 3-4 times a year.
21.gif
I don't know for sure if fuel treatment helps or not, so maybe I am just wasting less money.

Seafoam is a solvent where MMO is 30% solvent. Unless I knew I had a filthy sludged up engine I'm not sure I would drive with a solvent in my oil for that long. Maybe at the recommended dose (1.5 oz/quart) it is harmless but I would rather do a flush with Seamfoam or B12 Chemtool, whole bottle for 30 minutes revving to 2k RPM every few minutes and then run an OCI with MMO and an HDEO.

This is actually what I did after I saw all the varnish in my engine. Seafoam is too expensive these days for what it is, I use B12 Chemtool now for cleaning. Not sure either will do to much cleaning in the gas with 1 bottle without PEA in them.

Last edited:
Seafoam is a solvent where MMO is 30% solvent. Unless I knew I had a filthy sludged up engine I'm not sure I would drive with a solvent in my oil for that long.

I don't think that a product made entirely of "specially blended petroleum oil" would be specifically classified as a solvent even though Naptha (25-35%) is listed on the MSDS. If this is the case, then why is doesn't the Naphthenic Hydrocarbons (70-80%) in MMO make it a solvent as well?

Marvel Mystery Oil MSDS
http://www.turtlewax.com/res/msds/MM010-4.pdf

Naphthenic Hydrocarbons
64742-52-5
70 – 80%

Mineral Spirits
08052-41-3
20 – 30%

Chlorinated Hydrocarbons
00095-50-1
0 – 1%

SeaFoam website states:
http://www.seafoamsales.com/gasoline-engine-faqs.html
"What is it about Sea Foam that makes it so safe to use?

Sea Foam is composed solely of three specially blended petroleum oils – each having specific functions such as lubricating, cleaning or moisture control. There are no other chemicals (not even color dyes) included in the formulation. ..."

The Sea Foam Motor Treatment MSDS:
http://www.seafoamsales.com/component/option,com_rokdownloads/Itemid,17/view,file/

Pale Oil
64742-54-7
40 - 60%

Naphtha
64742-49-0
25 - 35%

IPA
67-63-0
10 - 20%

From Wikipedia, Naptha:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphtha
"The generic name 'naphtha' describes a range of different refinery intermediate products used in different applications. To complicate the matter further, similar naphtha types are often referred to by different names.

The different naphthas are distinguished by:
* Density (g/ml or specific gravity)
* PONA, PIONA or PIANO analysis, which measures (usually in volume percent but can also be in weight percent):
- - Paraffin content (volume percent)
- - Isoparaffin content (only in a PIONA analysis)
- - Olefins content (volume percent)
- - Naphthenes content (volume percent)
- - Aromatics content (volume percent)"

I guess it depends what your definition of a solvent and lubricant is. I don't really see Seafoam as a lubricant more of a solvent with better cleaning or solvating properties. MMO definitely has more lubricating qualities hence the fact you can go up to 20% by volume in your oil but it is not as powerful a solvent or cleaner as seafoam. All of this is IMO of course and I'm sure like with mmo much of the higher volatile solvents flash off in a few hundred miles.

Again IMO you put both in the crankcase if you have a known dirty engine and you want to try to clean it as best you can without a true rebuild. And also IMO I'd feel a lot safer driving around for extended periods with mmo in the oil than seafoam though if seafoam says it's safe I guess I believe them.

Last edited:
crazyoildude - The seafoam you used in your intake did not go through the injectors, so it could not ruin them.

I am not a fan of seafoam, but if someone does use it in the crankcase, it should be of short duration right before an oil change.
MMO can be left safely in the crankcase for a long time - up to a qt..

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I am not a fan of seafoam, but if someone does use it in the crankcase, it should be of short duration right before an oil change.

Re-read my first post in this thread:

Under the heading, "Cleaning Lifters and Oil Rings".
"You can leave Sea Foam in the oil indefinitely as long as the oil is clean."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: martinq

I do not think I have read any posts from members here who have left SeaFoam in for a full OCI, I would not recommend doing this. JMO

Originally Posted By: c3po
Originally Posted By: martinq

I do not think I have read any posts from members here who have left SeaFoam in for a full OCI, I would not recommend doing this. JMO

That's pretty much the point here. The only thing anyone has said is opinions based on suspicion, not based on any fact. The manufacturer states that it can be used in the engine for the entire oil life. This is the only fact we have to work with so far (in this thread at least). Also, if you look at the compositions based on the MSDS they seem to be much more similar than different (light petro oil blends).

Guys have left it in full OCI. There were posters who stated so when I did my 500 mile Seafoam experiment on a Dodge. I do not think it is that harsh, and is similar to MMO w/out the carrying oil. Seafoam does not contain acetone and toulene that gives B12 and other quick flushes their strength (if they work).

Even after playing with solvents in the oil I am not sure as to their effectiveness. I am suprised at some who love the stoddard solvent in MMO, but fear it in Seafoam. I am not sure we should run any solvent full OCI, but am doing so with MMO to either help or punish my one of my Fords.

Let us know how a full OCI goes. What mileage interval are you going? I am going 4 K on MMO. Good luck

Originally Posted By: Cmarti
Let us know how a full OCI goes. What mileage interval are you going? I am going 4 K on MMO. Good luck

I guess this question is for me?

I'm doing a bench test, not a running test. I'll have several heated test fluids with some dirty valve-train components in each. The length of the test will depend on how the results go.

This is actually what I did after I saw all the varnish in my engine. Seafoam is too expensive these days for what it is, I use B12 Chemtool now for cleaning. Not sure either will do to much cleaning in the gas with 1 bottle without PEA in them.

I like B12 Chemtool in the gas tank, since its very high octane stuff and not too expensive. I take it on faith that its cleaning anything, although the car seems to run better on it. It's only $3.60/can at autozone compared to $11/can for Seafoam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back