1998 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE I6 140k oil recommement

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might want something a little thicker for the 4.0L, those engines are infamous for Rear main seal leaks. In order, my recommendations.

Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W-40 (HDEO)
Valvoline Maxlife Semi-Syn 5W-30/10W-40
Mobil 1 HM 10W-30

Originally Posted By: Peter_Smith
where I can get this stuff at ? and how much for a quart ? I think my jeep take 6quart on this small engine ^^.

I believe walmart carries Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W-40. They come in 5Qt jugs.

Technically, it will a bit, but I'm not sure it's enough you would notice. A lot of factors affect mileage, oil viscosity is way down on the list.

5W-40 for summer, go thinner if your oil pressure at idle seems high (when the engine is warm). iirc, 15-20 psi is about normal.
a thick 30wt for winter. German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 ("GC", Valvoline Maxlife, Mobil 1 0W-40 (shears to a 30wt), M1 5W-30 or 10W-30 HM, 10W-30 HDEO, synthetic SAE30 (usually a 10W-30), etc.
Look for a ACEA A3/B3/B4 rating on the back of the bottle, those oils won't shear as easily as a 30wt PCMO.

Motorcraft filters (short or tall) for a Ford V8 (302, etc) will fit if you're looking for cheap filters.

Originally Posted By: Peter_Smith
Hi what oil do you guy recomment on 1998 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE I6 140k miles automatic ? thanks

What Auto Parts Delivery Company do you work for in Dallas? They should be able to help get you a discount on the oil talked about above.

As for as your mileage, the oil won't make much difference. The 4.0L I6 gets lousy gas mileage no matter what you do to it.

Thank for the help. But please dont ask about my job. I have bad experiment in the pass.

I stop by walmart today and pick up 2 big jug of Rotella T Syn 5W-40 since its cheaper, to buy big jug then 1 quart, and stop by advance auto part to pick up Pure1 oil filter. After 1k miles Imma take some oil off and send it to blackstone. Thanks for all the help. Now let move on to different topic ^^.

When I had my Wrangler I used QS 10w40 year round. Worked great, nice and quiet. Never tried Rotella syn but Im sure it will also work great, probably even better.

Originally Posted By: Johnny

As for as your mileage, the oil won't make much difference. The 4.0L I6 gets lousy gas mileage no matter what you do to it.

Amen. Don't even screw around with "high mileage" oils- the crummy mileage comes from pushing a heavy brick with a bunch of extra moving parts (front axle, driveshaft, Xfer case...) down the road. Better to protect the engine since it works harder than a car engine (although it'll last 200,000+ miles even if neglected).

By the way, the one sure way to hurt a 4.0 is to over-rev it consistently. They DO NOT like to wind out to high RPM, and besides there's just no point. They make all their torque below 3600-4000 anyway.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Johnny

Amen. Don't even screw around with "high mileage" oils- the crummy mileage comes from pushing a heavy brick with a bunch of extra moving parts (front axle, driveshaft, Xfer case...) down the road. Better to protect the engine since it works harder than a car engine (although it'll last 200,000+ miles even if neglected).

By the way, the one sure way to hurt a 4.0 is to over-rev it consistently. They DO NOT like to wind out to high RPM, and besides there's just no point. They make all their torque below 3600-4000 anyway.

Well that doesn't bode well for our jeep 2.5L because in order to get any acceleration out of it winding it out is necessary.

I've got some crazy friends up here that do all kinds of off-road stuff and they rev the dickens out of their 2.5L engines.

Dumbest thing I ever did was to sell my 04 Wrangler. Those are such great vehicles.

I use Rotella 15W-40 in my daughter's 1998 Cherokee 4.0 and it has 180,000 miles and no issues at all. No oil leaks or oil usage.

Don't waste your money on the SRT, you and the engine won't notice the difference.

Also, I use the Motorcraft FL-1 filters from W-mart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back