2004 Buick Rendezvous Transmission Fluid Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no doubt mobil 1 will do fine in there. Dex6 just happens to be the new spec on the block that is known to have a more stringent spec than the old spec and is also back spec for previous gm transmissions.

With that said this is what mobil 1 syn atf page says.

All 2005 and earlier GM vehicles**

** Mobil DEXRON-VI ATF is recommended for 2006 and newer GM vehicles and improved performance in 2005 and earlier vehicles, wherever DEXRON is specified.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_1_Synthetic_ATF.aspx

In the end both will work and the choice is up to you. Neither is going to harm the transmission.

Originally Posted By: radtech91
Has anyone used the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF fluid in their Rendezvous or other GM vehicle?

I had M1 full syn DexIII before I changed to DEX6. The biggest change I noticed is quicker downshifts for passing. Besides that both seem to work the same.

Has anyone used the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF fluid in their Rendezvous or other GM vehicle?

I used it back when it was Dex IIIh. I have not used it since Dex VI became available.

Looks like if I want a full synthetic I'll have to go with the Valvoline DEXRON® VI ATF (http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/valvoline/automatic-transmission-fluid/36).
Have people had good success with this?
Are there any other full synthetic ATF's that are great for 2004 GM's?
Also, where can I buy this at? I checked Advanced Auto Parts online and Auto Zone online and it isn't available.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I can find it autozone lists a part number but not any real info for it.

VV370

Pretty sure you can get them to order some for the warehouse if they don't have it.

GM's performance spec for Dexron-VI can be met only with a syn-blend or better base oil.

For the 2004 Buick in question, any of the mentioned ATFs would do a very good job...Full syn Dexron-III equivalent (Mobil 1 ATF or equal), syn-blend or full syn Dex-VI. All are better fluids than the original Dex-III.

Those of you with the Rendezvous', where do I get the filter at?

Its the same transmission that is my cars. Get a Filtran from the dealer. The other aftermarket ones are usually made in china.

Thanks! How much do they cost?

Around 30 bucks, the gasket is reusable. Just wipe the gasket off with a rag, don't use any glues or brake clean on it. Just wipe the grime off and reuse it.

p.s. Only the original gasket is reusable. If it has been changed to a cork or rubber gasket then it is junk. You can buy the reusable o.e. one from any GM dealer.

Ok thank you very much beast3300 and everyone else for clearing up all my questions.

Ok thank you very much beast3300 and everyone else for clearing up all my questions.

Your welcome! We want ya to do the right thing for that Buick.

Yes.. I currently have it in my 2002 Buick Century w 4T65E and it shifts beautifully. I went to 36K on the FF and took the first fill of (mostly) M1 to 96K (60K on fluid). I currently have about 18K on this fill of M1 and plan on going 70K on the fill.
I highly recommend M1 ATF (at least the older Dex IIIH version) in the 4T65E.

Looks like if I want a full synthetic I'll have to go with the Valvoline DEXRON® VI ATF (http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/valvoline/automatic-transmission-fluid/36).
Have people had good success with this?
Are there any other full synthetic ATF's that are great for 2004 GM's?
Also, where can I buy this at? I checked Advanced Auto Parts online and Auto Zone online and it isn't available.
Thanks!

I've seen Valvoline Dex VI at Meijer for $5.49/qt which is a good price. You probably have a Meijer in your area, right?

I just thought of something; Will there be a problem since the old fluid will be the original and I will be replacing it with the Valvoline Full Synthetic? What I mean is will it need flushed or something? Or when I let the fluid drain will it all drain or will some get left over somewhere and get mixed in with the synthetic and cause a problem?

Does anyone understand what I'm asking???? :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back