Which octane boost is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Octane boost: In another lifetime, we would get aviation gas, the octane rating on the tanker was 115/145 octane, in the muscle car days, it worked well but we only added 5 gallons to a tank of regular gas, it would make a v8 muscle car scream, in todays rides,,,dont recommend that idea, probably blow the heads off this aluminum stuff they build today. Ps, u could get 104 octane in ur gas in 1965, now u pay 10 bucks or so for a pint, go to a special outlet, u can get high octane gas maybe in ur town for 5 bucks a gallon........

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Octane boost: In another lifetime, we would get aviation gas, the octane rating on the tanker was 115/145 octane, in the muscle car days, it worked well but we only added 5 gallons to a tank of regular gas, it would make a v8 muscle car scream, in todays rides,,,dont recommend that idea, probably blow the heads off this aluminum stuff they build today. Ps, u could get 104 octane in ur gas in 1965, now u pay 10 bucks or so for a pint, go to a special outlet, u can get high octane gas maybe in ur town for 5 bucks a gallon........

LOL, I remember as a "kid" going to the local county airport to top off the tank with aviation gas on drag race days.

My guess is that this is now illegal since aviation fuel is still leaded.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
It isn't illegal to use leaded gas in your car. Just foolish.

No, it's quite illegal unless your car predates the mandate for unleaded fuel.

Originally Posted By: Rohan
Where can I find Toluene octane bosst at?

You can buy toluene at any big paint store. However, it's gotten quite expensive. Last time I got some at my local Sherwin-Williams store, it was about $50-ish for a 5 gallon jug. Toluene is about 114 octane. So you could mix 8 gallons of 93 octane gas with 1 gallon of toluene for an effective octane rating of approximately 95. I used to frequently do this on track days so I could pull less timing at higher boost levels on turbocharged engines.

http://www.acetogo.com/product/1214832/toluene+5+gallon.html

Best,

We use to get gas a Sunoco stations that had a little crank on the pump to crank up to the octane you wanted.
Since we thought [incorrectly] that more octane=more power we always got the highest octane. Something like 105?
If a car is not spark knocking, more octane is useless.
It ALLOWS more compression or spark advance, up to a point.

A tuner for high performance computer chips put it this way [street cars]:
In general, 87 octane is enough for 9/1 compression.
89 is good for 9.5/1
91-92 for 10/1 or a little more.
There is only so much you can advance the timing, with diminishing or no returns after that.

Well I predate a lot of mandates,and I remember
Sunoco, oboy, the days of GTO's and 442's. I say , twist the grip and let her rip................wish I had an old 389 pon ton and a 66 goat...............amen

Originally Posted By: Familyguy
Originally Posted By: Trajan
It isn't illegal to use leaded gas in your car. Just foolish.

No, it's quite illegal unless your car predates the mandate for unleaded fuel.

Oh yeah, the Clean Air Act.... Forgot about that.

Last edited:
Toluene works good ,as does xylene . Be veddy careful with xylene ,as it's hard on rubber. Toluene is added to gas to increase its octane , so most fuel system components tolerate it well
hth
Jorge

Home Depot or most hardware stores sell it. It use to be outlawed because dummies would huff it in a bag and melt their brains. Its also one of the ingredients in trinitrotoluene.

Originally Posted By: Familyguy

You can buy toluene at any big paint store. However, it's gotten quite expensive. Last time I got some at my local Sherwin-Williams store, it was about $50-ish for a 5 gallon jug. Toluene is about 114 octane. So you could mix 8 gallons of 93 octane gas with 1 gallon of toluene for an effective octane rating of approximately 95. I used to frequently do this on track days so I could pull less timing at higher boost levels on turbocharged engines.

Will I'm running nitrous so will I be okay if I drive on the street with toluence octane bosst n my car require 93 but I put 93 but don't know if at pump is real 93 sticker will anything happen if my car rise up to 95 octane by adding 1 gallon of toluence to the tank with 93 gas?

http://www.acetogo.com/product/1214832/toluene+5+gallon.html

Best,

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver

There is 100 octane unleeded gas near me but it is 7 bucks a gallon

I'm going to add octane boost in my tank so I can rise the point.

All are useless, just use 93 Octane to start with.

I think most "Octane Boosters" are a ripoff. Have you seen claims such as, "SuperDuper will increase octane by 6 points"? Well, they consider a "point" to be one tenth of a whole number. So, if you're using 87-octane gas, the booster will only make it 87.6!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back