2004 Buick Rendezvous Transmission Fluid Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone I've got a question about which is the best transmission fluid to get for my mothers 2004 Buick Rendezvous CX 2wd. I limited it down to:
1) Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF
2) Castrol DEXRON®–V

Which is better?
Or is there an even better one you would recommend?

Thanks!

For that application, DEX III was used at the time. However the only current official recommendation by GM is DEX 6.

Does the M1 ATF have Dex 6 approval?

Use the Dexron VI, I just replaced it in the Regal about 3000 miles ago, best thing I have ever done.
What tranny is it 4T40 or 4T65?

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Use the Dexron VI, I just replaced it in the Regal about 3000 miles ago, best thing I have ever done.
What tranny is it 4T40 or 4T65?

My wife has a 2004 CXL Buick Rendezvous that just turned 100,000 miles. I had Mobil 1 in it. I changed it out this past summer with Valvoline Dexron V1. It is smoother and shifts better than ever. The Dex V1 is good stuff. I put it in my 05 GMC Sierra as well with the same results.

On the Mobile1 site it says: "Mobil DEXRON-VI ATF is recommended for 2006 and newer GM vehicles and improved performance in 2005 and earlier vehicles, wherever DEXRON is specified."

On the Castrol - DEXRON-VI: "Certified and approved by General Motors for all cars and trucks that require DEXRON®–VI. Also satisfies requirements of DEXRON®, DEXRON®–III H, III, IIE, and II."

My mother does a lot of driving on gravel/country roads and maybe 25% city driving with half of that 25% stop in go. Also she has people with her most of the time, so the car has more weight to it. We live in a pretty hilly area too, with a lot of hills to climb. Her transmission does a lot of work. I just want to get the best for her.

Seems more people are leaning towards the Castrol one. Please give more suggestions, I need the help. Thanks!

I would also prefer using the Dexron VI for the pre-2006 GM products where Dexron (especially II and III) is specified. To me, the Mercon V is more appropriate for use in other Mercon (mainly Ford Motor Co) applications.

However, the Mobil 1 website mentions that the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is SUITABLE for all 2005 and earlier GM vehicles. (Meaning you're all set there with your Buick) However, I'm sure this means it shouldn't be used with Dexron VI applications (should be most all 2006 and newer GMs). Mobil does sell a Dexron VI ATF (it is not under the Mobil 1 label though), and as far as I know all Dexron VI ATFs (regardless of manufacturer) are full synthetics.

Thanks!

I forgot this question too:

What all do I need to do this change for the transmission?
Ex : How many quarts? Any other things required?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: mercuryblues
I would also prefer using the Dexron VI for the pre-2006 GM products where Dexron (especially II and III) is specified. To me, the Mercon V is more appropriate for use in other Mercon (mainly Ford Motor Co) applications.

However, the Mobil 1 website mentions that the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is SUITABLE for all 2005 and earlier GM vehicles. (Meaning you're all set there with your Buick) However, I'm sure this means it shouldn't be used with Dexron VI applications (should be most all 2006 and newer GMs). Mobil does sell a Dexron VI ATF (it is not under the Mobil 1 label though), and as far as I know all Dexron VI ATFs (regardless of manufacturer) are full synthetics.

I thought it was only had to be a semi synthetic. With some companies making full synthetic. I think its valvoline that get mentioned around when people ask about a full synthetic dex6.

Also from what other have said there is only one approved blender of the dex6 add pack. So all dex6 are going to have the same add pack with the only difference being in the base stock.

10 mm socket. 7.5 to 9 qts. It always better to have more on hand just in case. Start with 7 qts and see where that puts you. I would recommend a trans filter from the dealer.

Castrol Dex V1 is semi syn, Valvoline Dex V1 is full syn.

I've changed the fluid in the wife's Rendezvous three times in 100,000 miles. It has taken 8 quarts to fill it up each time. Put in 7 quarts, warm it up and add till full. The gasket is a reusable one. The original gasket is still on there with no leaks or issues.

I am a firm believer in regular transmission fluid changes, That may be why with the exceptions of the two powerglides that I blew up in the early 60s (my fault) I have never had a GM transmission failure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wapacz
Originally Posted By: mercuryblues

I thought it was only had to be a semi synthetic. With some companies making full synthetic. I think its valvoline that get mentioned around when people ask about a full synthetic dex6.

Also from what other have said there is only one approved blender of the dex6 add pack. So all dex6 are going to have the same add pack with the only difference being in the base stock.

OOPS!

You're right. Sorry about that, that was my wrong there. I just read Endeavor's post about the Castrol version being semi-synthetic. From all the Dexron VI brands I saw before the Castrol, all of them were full syn.

I have the Castrol in mine, either way, anything that is Dex VI that you put in there is going to be real nice.
I just put an aux cooler on mine today. It took an extra quart.

My change out was right at 8 guarts.

Okay looked up the mds on the valvoline. It shows that it is 90 to 95 percent group 3. With 5 to 10% being a mineral oil which I guess is to carry the add pack.

by the way here is a list I found of all licensed dex6 producers.

http://www.imakenews.com/lubrite/e_article001628035.cfm?x=b11,0,w

Last edited:
For my GM transmissions I changed them over to Dex VI a couple of years ago and originally used GM Vehicle Care Dex VI since I could get it cheapest. Lately the price went up where I bought it from so now I've been going to Meijer and buying the Valvoline Dex VI for $5.49 per quart.

I find the 4T65E usually takes 7.5 quarts. I've used either the GM filter or a Wix filter. The gasket has always been reusable for me. I just did the 4T65E in my GP last week.

Has anyone used the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF fluid in their Rendezvous or other GM vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back